Spfl Prize And Tv Money

Spiderpig

Now that the season is over and the prize money is being handed out it has highlighted the huge differences between the Scottish and English premierships in the amount of TV and prize money each club receives.

As i understand Motherwell received just over £1.6m in prize and TV money (not 100 % certain of that figure) for finishing runners up in the SPFL, while trying to find out how much the English teams received i came accross the following web page

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/premier-league-prize-money/

It just shows how vast the differences are, Cardiff finished bottom and they still got £63.7 million !! is it any wonder that the Scottish game is struggling, thoughts and comments please

Dunno what else there is to say that hasn't been said already... our game could attract bigger money but never seems to be all that interested in doing the things that would help, and the English game is spiralling out of control and will implode sooner or later, probably the first time England don't qualify for a World Cup because there aren't any English players left.

i thinks we got slightly higher than that...maybe someone from club will confirm...

based on spl website this is what the clubs get:

The figures are calculated on a percentage, which is expressed in brackets. The negative figure on the right is the difference compared to how much clubs received for finishing in the positions listed last year before reconstruction.

SPL

1: £2,405,514 (13.39%, -£314,487)

2: £1,717,454 (9.56%, -£682,546)

3: £1,460,555 (8.13%, -£59,446)

4: £1,288,629 (7.17%, -£71,371)

5: £1,202,757 (6.7%, -£77,243)

6: £1,116,884 (6.22%, -£83,116)

7: £1,056,701 (5.88%, -£63,299)

8: £1,005,142 (5.6%, -£34,858)

9: £987,895 (5.5%, +£27,895)

10: £902,023 (5.02%, +£22,023)

11: £816,150 (4.54%, +£16,150)

12: £730,277 (4.07%, +£10,277)

Championship

1: £386,248 (2.15%, +£318,248)

2: £343,132 (1.91%, +£276,132)

3: £300,016 (1.67%, +£234,016)

4: £256,900 (1.43%, +£191,900)

5: £240,731 (1.34%, +£176,731)

6: £188,633 (1.05%, +£126,633)

7: £172,464 (0.96%, +£111,464)

8: £154,499 (0.86%, +£94,499)

9: £138,331 (0.77%, +£79,331)

10: £120,366 (0.67%, +£63,366)

First Division

1: £102,401 (0.57%, +£46,401)

2: £86,232 (0.48%, +£31,232)

3: £56,769 (0.32%, +£2,769)

4: £52,099 (0.29%, -£902)

5: £51,200 (0.29%, +£200)

6: £50,302 (0.28%, +£302)

7: £49,404 (0.28%, +£404)

8: £48,506 (0.27%, +£506)

9: £46,709 (0.26%, -£291)

10: £44,913 (0.25%, -£88)

Second Division

1: £43,116 (0.24%, -£884)

2: £42,218 (0.24%, -£782)

3: £41,320 (0.23%, -£681)

4: £40,421 (0.23%, +£421)

5: £39,523 (0.22%, +£523)

6: £38,625 (0.22%, +£625)

7: £37,727 (0.21%, +£727)

8: £35,930 (0.2%, -£70)

9: £34,134 (0.19%, £134)

10: £32,337 (0.18%, -£663)

Also our league is not competitive at all so this makes anyone outside of Scotland not really that interested in it.

The only reason our game is televised is to let Old Firms fans watch their teams. If they were not there then we would have no TV.

We would on the other hand have a fucking amazingly competitive league!

Catch 22.

• Like 1

I don't buy that TV is only interested in the OF and without it there will be no TV deal. Certainly tonight there's a Championship playoff on BBC Alba that plenty on my twitter feed are watching instead on the EL final.

The issue is there is no competition for the TV rights so we have to take what we get or we get hee-haw.

Dunno what else there is to say that hasn't been said already... our game could attract bigger money but never seems to be all that interested in doing the things that would help, and the English game is spiralling out of control and will implode sooner or later, probably the first time England don't qualify for a World Cup because there aren't any English players left.

Or when the European Commission finally opens up the market for distributing EPL matches and providing the hardware to access them. The pub landlady in Portsmouth who accessed EPL matches via a Greek service was backed by European Commission when EPL tried to shut her down. it's only a matter of time until that particular day of reckoning arrives.

Or when the European Commission finally opens up the market for distributing EPL matches and providing the hardware to access them. The pub landlady in Portsmouth who accessed EPL matches via a Greek service was backed by European Commission when EPL tried to shut her down. it's only a matter of time until that particular day of reckoning arrives.

if that happens the EPL will adjust and charge the EU broadcasters more and they will pass on the increase to the landlady in portsmouth.

if that happens the EPL will adjust and charge the EU broadcasters more and they will pass on the increase to the landlady in portsmouth.

The EPL know that the Commission is determined to burst its monopolistic bubble. Hence it's spending mega-million on lobbying and legal experts to try and delay and frustrate all Commission's efforts. My mate works, directly, with EPL on this and has done for past 8 years so EPL is winning thus far but it's very unusual to beat the Commission in the long run.

I am not saying our game is this and that etc.

But that's part of it - the levels of expectation generated by the money involved creates this notion that the EPL is the best league in the world because it's got so much money, and the game in Scotland is terrible because it's worth such a minor amount in comparison.

Obviously there's a gap in quality, of course there is, but in entertainment level, if our league had the same level of presentation as theirs, it would be a much more attractive prospect. But the powers in charge would rather talk it down publicly and bemoan the lack of competition. Well, just take a look at this season. Most positions in the league weren't decided until the last two matches. I'd take that level of competition any year.

And if it came down to Stoke v West Brom or Hibs v St Mirren, I know what I'd rather watch.

Now that the season is over and the prize money is being handed out it has highlighted the huge differences between the Scottish and English premierships in the amount of TV and prize money each club receives.

As i understand Motherwell received just over £1.6m in prize and TV money (not 100 % certain of that figure) for finishing runners up in the SPFL, while trying to find out how much the English teams received i came accross the following web page

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/premier-league-prize-money/

It just shows how vast the differences are, Cardiff finished bottom and they still got £63.7 million !! is it any wonder that the Scottish game is struggling, thoughts and comments please

Little point comparing us with any of the big leagues. A comparison with teams from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland would be of more interest.

Funding from prize money generated almost exclusively from TV money is the double edged sword of double edged swords - it might even be a swiss army sword.

We don't want to be totally reliant on TV money (but we are)

We are against moving kick off times (but to accept the money we have to)

Sky have mad the EPL thier pet project for 20 years now. They've funded an obsene top heavy backslap fest that has jettisoned the finances to a new level down there. While they've funded the transfer of many an overratted foreign dud and made the transfer window a spectator sport.

Games are really well attended (but also expensive) they get away with it because they've funded good players, good stadiums, good pitches yadda yadda yadda.

All possible through obscene levels of over investment - they throw money at the feckin thing - I dont imagine there's much in the way of haggling going on when the EPL sit dow with the TV companies.

What's the contrast to north of the border (where theres a not to shabby take up on their product through Sky & BTSport subscriptions)

They haggle to the last penny to keep the investment to a minimum

The pitiful level of investment vs England reflects in the level of wages, the quality of player, youth development and retention of young players, the quality of facilities, the quality of playing surface.

In turn a televised scottish game is less of a spectacle. As we know attendances are driven down for covered games.

They are making a mockery of us. They are letting football in England power away from us - when in my lifetime - the difference in playing standard across the border is nothing like it is now.

Sky and BT Sport could quite easily quadruple their annual payout to Scottish football and it would barely cause a ripple. They are deliberately massively underfunding Scottish Football and massively overfunding English Football. They are only interested in the two Glasgow clubs the rest of us are an embuggerance.

Now to add further contradiction - I'm against football driving the game. I'm all for the paying supporter driving the game. However I'm realistic enough to know where we are.

In an ideal world we'd have leaders of governing bodies who could strike a decent sized deal for the whole of the scottish game - and not revolving it around what used to be the old firm.

As a league the teams would strive to move to one of the continental models and fund the game in a sensible fashion. Youth development, reduction in admission prices (particularly for broadcast games), improvement on facilities and playing surfaces - not just imported players (and agents) salaries.

Obviously writing this out - it reads back like an utter pipe dream.

SPFL - Self Preservation For Lunatics

Funding from prize money generated almost exclusively from TV money is the double edged sword of double edged swords - it might even be a swiss army sword.

Sky have mad the EPL thier pet project for 20 years now. They've funded an obsene top heavy backslap fest that has jettisoned the finances to a new level down there. While they've funded the transfer of many an overratted foreign dud and made the transfer window a spectator sport.

Games are really well attended (but also expensive) they get away with it because they've funded good players, good stadiums, good pitches yadda yadda yadda.

All possible through obscene levels of over investment - they throw money at the feckin thing - I dont imagine there's much in the way of haggling going on when the EPL sit dow with the TV companies.

What's the contrast to north of the border (where theres a not to shabby take up on their product through Sky & BTSport subscriptions)

The pitiful level of investment vs England reflects in the level of wages, the quality of player, youth development and retention of young players, the quality of facilities, the quality of playing surface.

In turn a televised scottish game is less of a spectacle. As we know attendances are driven down for covered games.

They are making a mockery of us. They are letting football in England power away from us - when in my lifetime - the difference in playing standard across the border is nothing like it is now.

Sky and BT Sport could quite easily quadruple their annual payout to Scottish football and it would barely cause a ripple. They are deliberately massively underfunding Scottish Football and massively overfunding English Football. They are only interested in the two Glasgow clubs the rest of us are an embuggerance.

Now to add further contradiction - I'm against football driving the game. I'm all for the paying supporter driving the game. However I'm realistic enough to know where we are.

In an ideal world we'd have leaders of governing bodies who could strike a decent sized deal for the whole of the scottish game - and not revolving it around what used to be the old firm.

As a league the teams would strive to move to one of the continental models and fund the game in a sensible fashion. Youth development, reduction in admission prices (particularly for broadcast games), improvement on facilities and playing surfaces - not just imported players (and agents) salaries.

Not that I disagree with that but it seems to be a commercial decision. Really they can take or leave Scottish football hence why they only offer very little whilst there is a demand for the English league and they have had to compete with likes of Setanta, ESPN and lately BT to keep hold of it. Make no mistake the rights to the EPL has hugely driven the success of Sky, we are a relative sideshow and nothing is going to change that. Potential audience of 5m compared to 50m in the current climate is a cold hard fact that no amount of quality football in Scotland will ever change.

It also a bit like the effect of of the Old Firm being so close to Motherwell. Our proximity means people are lured in by the perceived glamour of the English game and pay less attention to the domestic product. Nevermind the problems it has anyway with the lobsided nature of the Old Firm drawing about 50% of the support of the whole game if not more.

We certainly do need a governing body willing to look to the health of the wider game and not believe the myth that what is good for the big to is good for the rest. Trickledown economics working so well in the wider world!

Guys like Doncaster need to shoulder the blame for the latest deal. Their English counterparts do a great job talking up their product. What did Doncaster do? Spent his time spreading scare stories about how the SPL without Rangers would be a disaster and unsaleable, and how the quality of our game would take a hit etc. etc.

• Like 2

I get the difference in population etc.

But when a relegated team get more for one season than the entire SPL get for a couple of seasons then the plots been lost.

The last EPL deal was £3Billion so we should expect £300M for our next one.

It's crazy, but why would Sky (or BT) up their deal if they get what they want at a discount?

The EPL know that the Commission is determined to burst its monopolistic bubble. Hence it's spending mega-million on lobbying and legal experts to try and delay and frustrate all Commission's efforts. My mate works, directly, with EPL on this and has done for past 8 years so EPL is winning thus far but it's very unusual to beat the Commission in the long run.

They have in effect now beaten the Commission because they overlay the Premiership logo onto the pitch and use it onscreen every few minutes and therefore have made it a copyright issue as broadcast and use of the logo without permission gives them a "Plan B" to stop unofficial broadcasts in the UK!

Guys like Doncaster need to shoulder the blame for the latest deal. Their English counterparts do a great job talking up their product. What did Doncaster do? Spent his time spreading scare stories about how the SPL without Rangers would be a disaster and unsaleable, and how the quality of our game would take a hit etc. etc.

yip I've heard and seen hundred of quotes from Doncaster, Regan and many key players in the press and media about a damaged and uncompetitive league.

only a few have dared to point out just how competitive most games in the league actually are

an now our leaders appear to be in hiding, instead of using the opportunity to big it up, with the simple excuse, that they should be getting out there

Telling people how good things are in Scottish football

It's crazy, but why would Sky (or BT) up their deal if they get what they want at a discount?

But do they?

They fund the bare minimum survival football in half empty stadiums on baldy scottish pitches. - scottish football remains well down the world pecking order

In England they fund the top talent playing to sell out stadiums on billiard table surfaces. - very desirable telly