Pre-Season Friendlies

something else

Personally I only see these European games as our pre season warm ups which could give us a bit of a competitive edge over other teams for the first few weeks of the season.

It would take a great piece of luck for us to reach the group stages so we can only hope to get two or three home games with hopefully decent crowds - and no expensive away legs.

Apart from the competitive games advantage we get from these games, 4 or 5 thousand fans paying

£25 (minus the cost of the away leg) is surely better than 2 or 3 thousand fans paying £10 for a friendly (minus the costs we have to pay the opposition)

You would like to think so but if I remember correctly playing in Europe has hindered the start to our domestic campaigns rather than aided them in recent years.

I think we are going to see those 3 feature in the 1st team on a regular basis this season, especailly if anyone is injured.

I think McCall will start with the team that started v Fulham. if anything I would be tempted to have Dom Thomas on instead ofMcHugh based on his cameo at the weekend. He just seems to have more about him.

I would love it for Bob to prove me and others wrong but he needs to start the season well.

I thought we were really poor in terms of an attacking force on Saturday, Bob did nothing (again) to show that he has what it takes, Dom Thomas looked good, albeit really skinny wee guy, but very positive, going forward at every opportunity and had more shots than rest of the team put together, so stick him in, also liked the look of big Lee Erwin when he came on too.

So, I'm worried about our lack of goal threat again in Europe, please let me see an away goal, but optimistic about the season ahead (as always), good to see the young guys getting a chance.

We need another centre half, centre forward and a goalie that we can count on.

Off to try and get accommodation for Iceland now that the flights are booked

1405371872[/url]' post='416051']

Would you start any of the three on Thursday OTF?

As the manager favours his rigid 4-4-2, he may surprise both fans and the opposition by playing Lionel Ainsworth off John Sutton and god forbid Fraser Kerr on the right. Unlikely?

Lionel to remain wide right for me, so I would have Erwin as a starter. He is everything that McHugh doesn't seem to be - aware, willing to go beyond Sutton and behind their defence and very, very strong.

As much as I like Carswell, I think Jack Leitch offers us something that bit more. Not blessed with blistering pace, but, a tremendous engine and willing to make runs beyond the strikers which we don't do enough.

Dom Thomas will get you off your seats, of that I have no doubt. No daft comparisons to a 'Mini Messi' although it helps United land big fees, he's a maverick in the making. His defensive side looks OK to me in the three times I've seen him this week (I'd rather he concentrated on our offensive) but, Iain Vigurs looked like continuing his vein of form so unlikely he'll be moved to accommodate.

Imperative we keep the back door shut, as much as moving Vigurs right, Lionel up top and Dom on the left may wet some appetites, it's not going to happen.

Doubt very much that Dom Thomas is ready for first team football yet. Maybe coming on from the bench late on but not from the start. Doubt's over ZFA's injury will also influence SM's selection - will he be fit or won't he?

No? Whilst there is some merit in what you say, how do we know he isn't ready if he doesn't play?

No? Whilst there is some merit in what you say, how do we know he isn't ready if he doesn't play?

He has the talent, that much is clear. However he'll need to toughen up a bit to compete in SPFL football and that should come in time as he fills out. As it stands I think a number of appearances from the bench will give him some experience and help to toughen him up. Time will tell.

Why's their so much optimism about our young players? Most people on here have hardly seen most of these guys kick a ball yet you're talking about them like they're the next Ryan Gauld.For every youth players who makes it there will be 9 who don't and we can't be relying on playing 3/4 of these guys regularly if we want to be anywhere near the top.

Everyone who has MFC TV will have seen Erwin and Thomas play (plus the other U20s) for the past few seasons. Plus there are a few who attend the U20 games too. So while, of course, you can't predict how quickly they will develop, you at least have an idea of their potential.