Pre-Season Friendlies

something else

Anier and McFadden were out of the team injured (or ineffective) for large spells last season, so our goal threat hasn't changed that much.

They only scored 13 league goals out of 64, about 20% of our entire league goals tally last season or 1 in 3 of our goals outside of John Sutton.

And that's excluding assists from both players - 9 in total.

You are on a good run of baffling comments Weeyin.

• Like 1

During the 2nd half if the season, McFadden dragged us through numerous tight games at Fir Park. Holding the ball up front as the midfield went deeper and deeper. Ainsworth and Vigurs were lost without his knowledge and vision last night.

And when Anier was at it, he added another dimension to the team.

The loss of these 2 and Hutchinson shouldn't be underestimated.

• Like 1

So by your calculations (which I'll assume are correct) 80% of our goal threat still remains unchanged. Maybe we just have different definitions "of not that much" - especially after seasons where we have lost 8 or 9 players. Plus of course, we brought in some form of replacements including one who scored last night.

Or maybe your bafflement threshold is lower after a poor result last night.

So by your calculations (which I'll assume are correct) 80% of our goal threat still remains unchanged. Maybe we just have different definitions "of not that much" - especially after seasons where we have lost 8 or 9 players. Plus of course, we brought in some form of replacements including one who scored last night.

Or maybe your bafflement threshold is lower after a poor result last night.

Well maybe you think losing 20% of our goals is not a big deal but I do and as I said those players also contributed 9 assists meaning they were involved in closer to 30% of our goals.

Any team that loses 20 or 30% of their goals is in trouble, especially a team like ours who aren't exactly rock solid at the back.

Both McFadden and Anier need to be replaced ASAP.

• Like 2

During the 2nd half if the season, McFadden dragged us through numerous tight games at Fir Park. Holding the ball up front as the midfield went deeper and deeper. Ainsworth and Vigurs were lost without his knowledge and vision last night.

And when Anier was at it, he added another dimension to the team.

The loss of these 2 and Hutchinson shouldn't be underestimated.

There are some minor criticisms that could be levelled at Vigurs last night, being 'lost' without McFadden is absolutely not one of them.

Ainsworth was ripping them apart first half man.

There are some minor criticisms that could be levelled at Vigurs last night, being 'lost' without McFadden is absolutely not one of them.

Ainsworth was ripping them apart first half man.

I'm not meaning it as a dig at Vigurs but he needs to be playing with players on the same wavelength. He was on his own last night.

Ainsworth was on fire for the first 25 then lost his way like a few others. Again he benefitted from McFadden and/or Anier creating space and angles for him last season.

I'm not meaning it as a dig at Vigurs but he needs to be playing with players on the same wavelength. He was on his own last night.

Ainsworth was on fire for the first 25 then lost his way like a few others. Again he benefitted from McFadden and/or Anier creating space and angles for him last season.

I have some sympathy for Vigurs last night. Once Law faded out of the game, Sutton was completely isolated. We had nothing going down the right even before Ainsworth was taken off, never mind when Kerr came on, and our central midfield was disfunctional.

That meant Vigurs was getting a lot of the out ball with very few options in front of him. He's the player in the squad with the greatest vision in my opinion but even so he can't conjure something out of nothing. You need something up front to play into, someone on the other side to switch the play to, someone to make a sideways pass to.

There was no one there driving into those positions for Vigurs to exploit.

Can I ask why Motherwell did not play a friendly during the weekend?

It seems crazy that we would not try and get a bounce match in between the euro game to just improve match sharpness a wee bit as it was something we clearly lacked on Thursday night.

m,aybe due to the small numbers in our squad - SMcC doesnt want to take a chance with someone getting injured.????

another thing - losing out on thursday night, i think will define whether or not we make a move in the transfer market - it will definitely affect the quality of player that we can bring in

we need to come out the traps flying on thursday night and try and blow this mob away - we need at least 2 goals

losing out on thursday night, i think will define whether or not we make a move in the transfer market - it will definitely affect the quality of player that we can bring in

we need to come out the traps flying on thursday night and try and blow this mob away - we need at least 2 goals

Financially, losing this game would be a very bitter pill to swallow. We worked hard last season to earn the right to play in Europe, and to be eliminated this early would be a massive kick in the balls. As regards to not playing another friendly I am unsure how much this would have benefitted the squad fitness wise. At the end of the day they are semi-pro and we should be too strong for them. I would go as far as to say that it would be a shock if we lost to this team, however, this is Motherwell and anything is possible.

Agree with all of that. A competitive match is what we need to sharpen match fitness and another friendly wouldn't give us much in that regard. Personal fitness can be worked on on the training ground.

I'm quietly optimistic we can win the away leg (or, knowing us, go 3 up and then hold on for a 3 - 3). Our away form has generally been pretty good.

Agree with all of that. A competitive match is what we need to sharpen match fitness and another friendly wouldn't give us much in that regard. Personal fitness can be worked on on the training ground.

I'm quietly optimistic we can win the away leg (or, knowing us, go 3 up and then hold on for a 3 - 3). Our away form has generally been pretty good.

Although I think away form being good is somewhat based on the expectation of the home team attacking us. They have no real incentive to attack.

• Like 1

Toddled along to Cliftonhill last night. A good opportunity for me to see the U20's pretty close to home. 1-0 to Motherwell with Robbie Leitch scoring midway through the first half.

We could have been a couple up before that and looked pretty much in control before out of nowhere Max Currie had to make two excellent saves before the break. Rovers missed a decent chance at the start of the half and hit the bar with a minute or two to go. In between Morgyn Neil had an effort well saved on the line by the Rovers keeper.

I thought we looked fairly assured throughout. Generally looked to play football and having seen little or nothing of most of the team I was quite impressed by quite a few of ours players. Currie dealt well with everything he had to in goal and really liked the look of our right back (Luke Watt?) who destroyed the Rovers right back almost every time he came forward.

Neil looks like he has the stature and presence to make it and there were some nice touches and play from Cadden, Thomas and McCall when he came on too.

1406272013[/url]' post='417312']

At least we still have the domestic cup games to look forward to. This could be our year. ph34r.gif

Just about every lower league/part time club in the country will be desperate to draw us in one of the cups as they will look at the Albion Rovers result and our capitulation against the semi professional Icelandic side and rightly fancy their chances.

A Plan B? i've yet to see Plan A?

Regardless of whether or not we were in europe every weekend should have been filled with a friendly.

Why? It's competitive games we need. They are as well playing shirts vs skins as strolling around Morecambe in a friendly and using 10 subs.

Why? It's competitive games we need. They are as well playing shirts vs skins as strolling around Morecambe in a friendly and using 10 subs.

Any game the team plays should be competetive...so the more match practice they get before the 9th of August the better. Who knows if we had played a few more games and been that bit sharper and fitter then we might still be in Europe.