Pre-Season Friendlies

something else

The European games would come half way through the season therefore no starting the season a month early?

Meaning 2 whole calendar months with no competitive games?

It would for Euro no-hopers like us.

However, if you want to make the argument that there is 2 full months, then March - November won't work. Especially if you have a team that's involved in February or December Euro games. ( or if there is a summer break in World Cup or Euro years).

Also - season finishes mid May and starts early-mid August adding an extra 3 or 4 weeks to the break/pre-season.

However, I'm not in disagreement with you.

I'm just pointing out the errors as challenged, and with relevance to Motherwell, rather than Scottish football/Celtic (no one else is likely to be in Europe around Christmas) as a whole.

edit - and you'd probably find more pre-season trips abroad rather than staying at home in the winter

Also - season finishes mid May and starts early-mid August adding an extra 3 or 4 weeks to the break/pre-season.

However, I'm not in disagreement with you.

I'm just pointing out the errors as challenged, and with relevance to Motherwell, rather than Scottish football/Celtic (no one else is likely to be in Europe around Christmas) as a whole.

edit - and you'd probably find more pre-season trips abroad rather than staying at home in the winter

Some posters wouldnt be into that though as apparently or trip to Portugal was just a jolly for the players and had no benefits at all...

good idea with the closed door game but why play it at the palace grounds when the miners is available?

Dug shit... Miners Park is covered in it.

Palace grounds would be easier for all, parking, transport, walking... fuck ye can get a mcdonalds or a kfc at half time whistling.gif

Good afternoon folks,

Thought it would be beneficial to keep everyone in the loop around a friendly match this weekend (as per Shoutbox, for those not on mobile/tablets and can see it).

We've been trying very hard to get not only a match for Saturday, but also work with various bodies/agencies to help us facilitate it to being open to the public/Well fans - in line with significant commitments elsewhere at the moment.

Both have proven difficult. The good news is we're likely to have a match, the unfortunate news is that it is also likely to be behind closed doors.

We are still working to get final agreements on both elements - hence no official announcement on this - but that's the current position as it stands.

As soon as it is concrete, which hopefully is today at some, I will post details on here/official site/social media etc.

Cheers,

No offence but this is all an absolute joke. Clambering round trying to arrange a game with just over a week till the opening game.

This should have been sorted ages ago. Even if we were still in Europe, we should have had games on the weekends in between. Someone described us as amateurs earlier on in the thread. By fuck they where right.

• Like 2

No offence but this is all an absolute joke. Clambering round trying to arrange a game with just over a week till the opening game.

This should have been sorted ages ago. Even if we were still in Europe, we should have had games on the weekends in between. Someone described us as amateurs earlier on in the thread. By fuck they where right.

Truer words could have never have been said

Was looking forward to todays confirmation of a Saturday friendly, for it to be announced as behind closed doors yet again is another disappointment. Friendlys arent for everyone but to we've only had 1 for the fans. Obviously commonwealth games has something to do with that but so does not having a backup plan for going out of the Europa.

with scottish teams lower league teams playing at the weekend i would guess it would be difficult to get an english team to agree to come up for a fixture that would probably have been against our u19s if we hadn't recorded the worst result in our 128 year history.

if the club have managed to get tranmere to come up at short notice they have done well. closed door or not the players should know exactly what is expected of them.

Reading the offical blurb spin that we prepared with 5 friendlies this season,

got me thinking against who? since it was announced the U20's were playing bounce games with Stenny and Albion Rovers

who were these five games against? is someone trying to imply the U20s games are prep' for 1st team squad starting the season and Europe?

can anyone name the squads which lined up for these 5 games?

Aside from the issue of whether we should have games lined up or not (we should but let's move on), I tend to feel that all pre season games should be closed doors. At our level, how much money does the club make from these games? For the fans, the entertainment from a pre season friendly is next to nothing. Like alcohol free beer, I don't see the point.

Maybe I'm in the minority but these games do nothing for me and I'm quite pleased if Saturday's game is behind closed doors...

Do we have a friendly at the weekend or not?

Basically this...

I am sure everyone including the fans thought we would be in Europa league action this week and next, so friendlies for the weekends would not have bothered anyone..

I am also sure after we ballsed up that finding someone to play worth playing and that does not already have a friendly arranged would be very difficult, so I am not giving the club a hard time over that....

Bbut I love that they will get round to announcing a closed door friendly soon. I am missing something here? Who F#cking cares - especially if it is going to be closed door and no fans can go along.

Just tell us who we played and what the score was afterwards :angry:

Knickers twist. Everyone calm it.

Main thing is we will be playing a game. Would maybe have been nice to see it but the most important thing is the team get game time.

If that spoils your pre season ritual of going for pints or seeing a fairly non descript boring game then go to the pub and take in a lower league come Saturday.

Pitches will be poorer? Surely the issue we have in the winter is the pitch doesn't have sufficient exposure to sunlight to recover between matches. In the summer we have up to 18 hours of daylight and the degradation would be much less. During the winter the grass would merely be maintained, not replanted.

I've yet to find any evidence where a footballer cites they prefer plastic pitches. Clubs like them as they allow the facilities to be used potentially 24-7.

I accept there's still a chance games can be called off between a summer season of March to November, however the risk of that happening is a fraction than the status quo. The chance of a game being called off in late November is small.

You're citing minor faults and giving no credence to a number of benefits.

My reason for the pitch being poorer in winter would be, say we finished our season in November and we had to relay our pitch like we do ever few seasons. A cold snap will kill off the seeds and if no then we would be lucky to get enough sunlight for the pitch to be ready in time.

Agree with the plastic pitches but if we are struggling to plant pitches then plastic would need to be the way to go unfortunately.

The main benefit is that we get football during our summer months which I would be happy with but would we take a break if the Euros/World Cup/Nations League is on during June and July. If so it defeats the purpose of summer football.

As someone else wrote Ireland changed to summer football and have saw no real difference in attendances and European results. Russia, a country with worse winters and poorer infrastructure than us moved to an August to May league as they struggled with signing players from traditional league as players were hesitant to move basically play 18 months on the trot if they moved halfway though their season and then a full russian one.

I dont see what all this amateurish talk is about. How can we make a contingency plan for being papped out of Europe...'well we might be able to play you on sat 3/8 but cant say until the week before!'

Agreed. If we had got through and been playing a friendly the Saturdays in between we would have been knackered come the actual euro games and the usual army on here would be decrying the fact we organised friendlies.

Agreed. If we had got through and been playing a friendly the Saturdays in between we would have been knackered come the actual euro games and the usual army on here would be decrying the fact we organised friendlies.

No- the 19s would have played the friendly. We definitely should have had one organised - albeit closed doors - and there's no getting away from that fact.