Pre-Season Friendlies

something else

Thanks, mate. With the exception of McHugh this may well be the strongest team available to us this season. Not much difference from last season thankfully but hopefully this season we'll have more competition for starting places and more options from the bench.

Thanks, mate. With the exception of McHugh this may well be the strongest team available to us this season. Not much difference from last season thankfully but hopefully this season we'll have more competition for starting places and more options from the bench.

I'm optimistic that SM will bring in 1/2 strikers and a decent centre back within the next few weeks. No point in signing players for the sake of signing them. It usually takes until about the end of September before most teams know their best line up.

Delighted for both wee Dom T and big Lee E.

Glad Erwin has put injury behind him.

Yes both did very well and were plus points. Both showed hunger and desire and some good touches. If he continues to progress and spend some time in the gym to bulk up young Thomas could well turn out to be real prospect. Very encouraging.

Read Steelmenonline for years now and thought Id finally post a comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I thought we looked a little bit off match sharpness and fitness but that's to be expected, I thought we showed some nice stuff at times without really posing a goal threat.

I also thought apart from the howler, Dan had a decent day between the sticks and his passing is first class, I do agree however that if that was Gunnar then he would be destroyed on here but it was only a pre season friendly with no real meaning except getting the fitness up.

Dom on the right wing was a positive and i'm glad he got a chance, he looks exciting and always wants the ball.

Zaine has always puzzled me as at times I have seen him looking good and at other times he appears to have never seen a football in his life, Josh Law at times yesterday also looked like this but I am willing to pass judgement due to the time of the season it is and only time will tell, I also believe he was played out of position.

Bob upfront for me is not the answer at all, I feel a bit sorry for him as he always tries and runs himself into the ground but for me he is not a premier league striker and im sure McCall also feels this but due to budgets etc he has no choice but to keep him especially after the moment of madness when he gave him a new contract.

I do however really worry if we get any injuries as the squad is so small but I hope that we get one or two new faces in, 1 striker and 1 defender is what I would expect.

That's my thoughts anyway.

cheers and Mon The Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just read a quote from SMC in the Record and he was unhappy at going in to the Euro game with so little friendly action. Do him and his team not have a say in / sort the schedule?

Hopefully we get through over the 2 legs but still a decent gap to the start of the league and no more games announced, so what's the issue?

The Record is the issue most probably. Have a look at his interview on YouTube where a slightly different impression is created.

an impression that he knows we need around 6 games prior to being competitive, but does fek all about it every season?

I recall that when we finished 2nd everyone including the Manager was waxing lyrical about the players and staff getting an extra 2 weeks holiday.

I am probably not alone in thinking that they should have taken an extra week and come back a week earlier to give us more preparation for the Europa league.

If we were to come unstuck because of lack of match preparation and fitness I will not be alone in scratching my head.

• Like 1

1405273562[/url]' post='415932']

Just read a quote from SMC in the Record and he was unhappy at going in to the Euro game with so little friendly action. Do him and his team not have a say in / sort the schedule?

Hopefully we get through over the 2 legs but still a decent gap to the start of the league and no more games announced, so what's the issue?

And if we progress... We'll have more competitive games no?

Whilst we're in the nice kind of limbo that happens to be Euro competition others can have their schedules filled, unfortunately ours cannot.

Personally I only see these European games as our pre season warm ups which could give us a bit of a competitive edge over other teams for the first few weeks of the season.

It would take a great piece of luck for us to reach the group stages so we can only hope to get two or three home games with hopefully decent crowds - and no expensive away legs.

Apart from the competitive games advantage we get from these games, 4 or 5 thousand fans paying £25 (minus the cost of the away leg) is surely better than 2 or 3 thousand fans paying £10 for a friendly (minus the costs we have to pay the opposition)

• Like 1

I am probably not alone in thinking that they should have taken an extra week and come back a week earlier to give us more preparation for the Europa league.

If we were to come unstuck because of lack of match preparation and fitness I will not be alone in scratching my head.

Yes, I'm concerned too Iain about our apparent lack of preparation, but in Stuart McCall we trust. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating though as the saying goes.

Personally I only see these European games as our pre season warm ups which could give us a bit of a competitive edge over other teams for the first few weeks of the season.

It would take a great piece of luck for us to reach the group stages so we can only hope to get two or three home games with hopefully decent crowds - and no expensive away legs.

Apart from the competitive games advantage we get from these games, 4 or 5 thousand fans paying £25 (minus the cost of the away leg) is surely better than 2 or 3 thousand fans paying £10 for a friendly (minus the costs we have to pay the opposition)

That's pretty much how I see it.