Where Do We Go From Here?

MelvinBragg

the scotsman quotes mccall thus

“I’ve heard them say we’re still favourites but I don’t think there’s any favourites. They’re on a run of one defeat in 16 and as much as they say they’re semi-pro they train every day and night.”

we didn't stand a chance.....

I think G&F is being rather generous with our training as far as I know we also get Mon & Weds off.....

This is a huge difference as other clubs I believe have two days of double sessions. I remember last year reading Higdons interview after moving to Holland. His biggest difference in transition was getting used to double sessions 5 days a week. He lost over a Stone in a couple of months. That's huge for a pro footballer.

Back in the successful Rangers team under Souness and Walter Smith it was a known fact that they believed in team morale being as important if not more so than physical training. Basically that ethos was the team that drinks together, plays together and they had a rather large drinking culture but also a team of winners.

I'm not saying we have that at Fir Park but I believe an element of that Ethos has travelled with SMc to our club. More of an emphasis on a happy squad than on a fitness, well drilled tactical squad. This clearly has benefits over the course of a season but I think there has to be a balance which I do not believe we have reached.

I also agree with a comment Brazilian made, the players this year look a bit fitter.... But they don't look sharp which has ultimately cost us a fortune.

• Like 1

We have imo taken our european games for granted over thelast few years.the team and management seems to treat them like pre season friendlies and the pricing is ridiculous we will never get any new fans with pricing like they have been for last few years.look back to nancy, odense attendances etc when pricing was if I remember $10ish.now I know club wont make money out of that pricing but we need to look at bigger picture and if we made group stages (dont all laugh) then the rewards would be huge from tv deals etc which we could then still only charge low amounts get the ground full for 3 big home games if sufficient atmosphere the some people might even come back.one off freebies do not get people back it needs to be done on an ongoing basis.in our area there are loads of young boys supporting rangers/celtic who dont go to any of their games,4 or 5 games in a row with some of their well supporting mates might get them to come all the time and this is where I feel we should target, every high school within 20 miles radius get the players going out and give out free tickets.teenagers will come back if they enjoy it.our marketing, propaganda, salesskills are terribly poor.

I've said it before Mccall is straight out of the Walter smith school. Smith in his hour of need always signed ex players or guys he worked with before .

Also if his right back for example was injured ,rather than bring in the reserve right back, he would move a midfielder there and shuffle the whole team in order to keep his favourites in the team.

Definitely an element of the Ibrox class of the 90's about Fir Park. But it's a large factor in how we attracted McManus, what Ainsworth cited in his interview on the homepage, why Higdon said he'd be keen to return etc.

And no, I'm not suggesting we go part time, don't know why you would default to that conclusion from my post.

I'm suggesting the whole team would benefit from having something closer to a 9-5 like the majority of the punters that pay their wages. Know there's a chance of burn out but gym work, community interaction and standard training along with tactics etc. would be more like it.

I know John Collins tied to implement something similar at Hibs and had a boardroom revolt from Scottish players who prefered going down the bookies and snooker halls in the afternoon.

Watching the triathlon and seeing about how the Brownlee's train and I think Jesus. I know its a different discipline but having stamina and an engine like them surely can only benefit a footballer.

Look at what McGhee achieved in his first summer.

Watching the triathlon and seeing about how the Brownlee's train and I think Jesus. I know its a different discipline but having stamina and an engine like them surely can only benefit a footballer.

I mentioned the triathletes earlier and their fitness level is phenomenal. A footballer with that level of fitness and stamina would worth his weight in gold.

McCall needs to take a large majority of the blame for the European result. His subs were ridiculous. He also was to blame for albion rovers and our dreadful cup performances in general.

But he also has to take credit for motherwell being best of the rest 3 seasons in a row. We effectively have won the title that is within our reach for the past 3 seasons. This is a massive achievement for a club the size of motherwell. Anyone that wants McCall to go off the back of this is a complete fool.

One of the commentators mentioned how they were filming Superstars and when finished filming offered Ally Brownlee a space in their transport back to the hotel, "How far is it?", about 12 miles, "I'll meet you back there, I haven't trained enough today"

100m sprint

800m running

javelin throw

50m swim

archery

kayaking

cycling (hill climb)

gym tests

Different mindset.

If young footballers enter an environment where their peers expect a certain amount of free time, then they learn to expect it too ..... along with the trophy WAG and Aston Martin.

If what the subsequent posts to mine confirm that Motherwell and Starjnan train roughly the same number of hours per week, however one team holds professional status and the other part time. Then you have to ask where is the significant difference? Is it purely we are in a country of 5.5 million and they live in one of 320,000 and therefore have a smaller pool of players to, select and less revenue streams? Whereas our are larger on both counts so to secure the top talent you have to offer professional status and the benefits that come with it here? By all means keep pro status but actually have them earn it after lunch, letting them hone their PS4 skills or heading off to Nando's for dinner doesn't count.

It's only a fine balancing act to implement if you permeate past behaviour and traditions.

As I said, John Collins is one of the few I've ever heard of who's approach to the game on and off the field was akin to how a top lawyer would approach a big trial, doctor prepare to give a lecture or a novelist would research a book.

I think we'll still be chasing 2nd this season because the rest of the SPL are in a worse position than us!Yes , the sheep have spent on their flock as have the Arabs but we still have a 'team' and not a bunch of individuals. When you look back at the organisation of the lesser teams in the World Cup and even further back at Greece in the euros a few years earlier it can be seen that a well organised team can go far.That was what happened last season . No big transfers in ,no big star players, no young superstars coming through who we can sell on to Real Madrid! Just plain and simple teamwork .Yes, we bottle it in cup competitions and I'll be checking the queue at the bookies if we draw Civil Service Strollers in the first round of the cup .In all seriousness have been here before since the days of Willie McLean ,Roger Hynd et al . This has been a great time to support Motherwell and the Time will come when we are back with the St Middens and Kilmarnocks of this world .Enjoy it while you can.Mon the 'team'

• Like 2

If what the subsequent posts to mine confirm that Motherwell and Starjnan train roughly the same number of hours per week, however one team holds professional status and the other part time.

And not forgetting that the boys from Starjnan also have day jobs. You could tell by the celebrations at the end how much this game meant to them and their fans. It was the biggest game/win in the history of their club and sadly one of the worst in the history of ours.

And not forgetting that the boys from Starjnan also have day jobs. You could tell by the celebrations at the end how much this game meant to them and their fans. It was the biggest game/win in the history of their club and sadly one of the worst in the history of ours.

looked liked it

300_zpsca9f96b2.jpg

I actually fear for the financial future of our club if we don’t start doing the business in games that we should be winning. We can’t keep pissing money away by exiting cup competitions too early against weaker opposition. Whoever is in charge of the clubs finances must have had their head in their hands at our latest loss. You would hope that the players and the management team have been left in no doubt that these results are unacceptable and something needs to change fast. If it doesn’t, I can sadly see another potential administration on the horizon. Finance wise it’s time to wake up and smell the coffee.

McCall needs to take a large majority of the blame for the European result. His subs were ridiculous. He also was to blame for albion rovers and our dreadful cup performances in general.

But he also has to take credit for motherwell being best of the rest 3 seasons in a row. We effectively have won the title that is within our reach for the past 3 seasons. This is a massive achievement for a club the size of motherwell. Anyone that wants McCall to go off the back of this is a complete fool.

Thank goodness there are still Motherwell fans who appreciate the achievements McCall has brought to the club.

I agree 100% with you that anyone wanting him to go is a fool and knows nothing about the financial state of our club, the resources available, the position we could be in without him. Do they really believe we could improve?

I've been going to Fir park for 50 years so please trust me when I say that we are seeing some of the best results, performances, league finishes in that time.

Yes cup performances could be improved, but I struggle to think of a time in the past 50 years that I would swap for the past 3-4 seasons.

The derogatory comments and some of the language used to describe McCall as a manager is what I would expect from certain other west coast fans, but is that the type of fan that now goes to Fir Park?

Have they been spoiled with top 3 finishes and European football? I was 34 before I saw Motherwell win a cup and qualify for Europe, dear knows how some of our fans today would have survived watching the 'Well during that period, losing every Scottish/League/Texaco cup semi-final, no Europe, relegation.

Please do not think that I believe all is perfect with our club, the cup performances have been shocking/substitutions questionable etc but this is nothing new, they were in the past too.

Push McCall out the door and we will regret it.

• Like 7

I think you will find that almost all full time teams in scotland train identical hours all week, 2 hrs per day..wed and sunday off. Play on a sat.

If that is the case I'd say we are still in the dark ages.

Not every training session needs to be physically exhausting, and I think like everyone else players are entitled to a couple of days off during the week.

But there should be double sessions, including more strength and conditioning work than what they currently do. Suitably tailored and reduced when we're playing 2 games in a week so players aren't gubbed from training come game time.

But by an large on a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday I'd expect a couple of hours training in the morning. A decent break where they are expected to rest and refuel before an afternoon session.

They certainly even at our level get paid well enough for such inconvenience.

Thank goodness there are still Motherwell fans who appreciate the achievements McCall has brought to the club.

I agree 100% with you that anyone wanting him to go is a fool and knows nothing about the financial state of our club, the resources available, the position we could be in without him. Do they really believe we could improve?

I've been going to Fir park for 50 years so please trust me when I say that we are seeing some of the best results, performances, league finishes in that time.

Yes cup performances could be improved, but I struggle to think of a time in the past 50 years that I would swap for the past 3-4 seasons.

The derogatory comments and some of the language used to describe McCall as a manager is what I would expect from certain other west coast fans, but is that the type of fan that now goes to Fir Park?

Have they been spoiled with top 3 finishes and European football? I was 34 before I saw Motherwell win a cup and qualify for Europe, dear knows how some of our fans today would have survived watching the 'Well during that period, losing every Scottish/League/Texaco cup semi-final, no Europe, relegation.

Please do not think that I believe all is perfect with our club, the cup performances have been shocking/substitutions questionable etc but this is nothing new, they were in the past too.

Well said that man.....

You like me will also have seen Motherwell in the old 1st division, where our players could hardly string a few passes together. Sure we won twice at a canter, but the football was bowfing...

Be careful what you wish for is the mantra. TBF I believe it is a small minority that would like to see a change in management.

• Like 1

Steady there. Folk are quite entitled to their opinion without being labelled fools. I too have been going to Fir Park for over 50 years and whilst our league performances have been some of the best in that time our cup performances have been some of the worst. Whilst criticism is quite acceptable I certainly agree that derogatory comments are out of order. Currently our fan base is split on the issue probably 3 ways - each to their own I say. Time will tell.

• Like 1

1406540875[/url]' post='417745']

Well said that man.....

You like me will also have seen Motherwell in the old 1st division, where our players could hardly string a few passes together. Sure we won twice at a canter, but the football was bowfing...

Be careful what you wish for is the mantra. TBF I believe it is a small minority that would like to see a change in management.

What's seeing Motherwell in the lower divisions what? 25 years ago now got to do with today's team?

The fact is we have, one way or another raised the bar in the last few seasons when we've gone from not just a long time established top flight club but a top half club and in the past few years best of the rest club. We have had a lot of luck in that time but we've also had and still do to an extent have some good players at our disposal. Yet time and again we fail spectacularly in big matches/one off cup ties largely because our attitude, tactics, preparation and fitness are all wrong.

I don't think the majority want a change of management, rather a change of attitude and approach to games like these and a change in results from going out with a whimper no matter how good or bad, full time or part time the opposition are to actually beating such sides and progressing in cups.

Best of the rest, only twice, (without a team from Ibrox in the mix which dilutes it), and one with a huge chunk of help from the Ref ---- so it aint that rosey afterall.

As a learned Dosser said on FPC, we need to look at the bigger picture. Much needed income possibilities have been blown by McCall amidst some of the worst results in the Club's history. With the reported Poznan effect, losing to Stjarnan has probably cost us around 150,000. Albion Rovers made a similar amount after ousting us from the Cup.

It's this loss of much needed income due to lack of preparation, tactical ineptness, player fitness, poor substitutions, etc., etc., etc., that is unacceptable.

I don't mind losing to St Midden, Dutd, Killie, etc., they are in our League afterall, but being humbled by bottom tier Club sides and a bunch of Fisherman that dont see daylight for 2 months is embarrassing. It's 2014, not 1970, and if you lot of auld happy clappers are content to accept this then we might as well call in KPMG tomrrow.

• Like 3

As a learned Dosser said on FPC, we need to look at the bigger picture. Much needed income possibilities have been blown by McCall amidst some of the worst results in the Club's history. With the reported Poznan effect, losing to Stjarnan has probably cost us around 150,000. Albion Rovers made a similar amount after ousting us from the Cup.

Just a thought but if, as appears to be view of some, the failure to secure these much needed income streams is all down to Stuart McCall, then would he be not also singularly responsible the monies accrued in by reaching a Scottish Cup Final and three consecutive top three finishes?

Or does that not suit the argument?

• Like 1

1406537150[/url]' post='417738']

More or less agree with you.i have never been anything less about SMC and I like his attitude generally in victory and defeat. I think it's the potential to have made some money and another European game, which is frustrating people.Sure we can turn them around with good league and especially cup runs this season. Hope the players are fired up in light of what's happened