Where Do We Go From Here?

MelvinBragg

Thread title "Where do we go from here?", well into this bloody thread as it'll probably get bumped all season.

All the naysayers and oracles of impending doom, give us a break, yes its far from ideal but even if we're in the same position in or around the January window, there's enough shite in this league we'll just make it even if we're not firing on all cylinders.

Sutton will get a purple patch as he always does and Ojamma is too good not to contribute, injured players will return and stability in formation and tactics will return.

Away and ring out yer knickers

Thread title "Where do we go from here?", well into this bloody thread as it'll probably get bumped all season.

All the naysayers and oracles of impending doom, give us a break, yes its far from ideal but even if we're in the same position in or around the January window, there's enough shite in this league we'll just make it even if we're not firing on all cylinders.

Sutton will get a purple patch as he always does and Ojamma is too good not to contribute, injured players will return and stability in formation and tactics will return.

Away and ring out yer knickers

What if we are in an unrecoverable position in January? And what "shite in this league" are you talking about? Every team has outplayed us this season, even the teams we've sneaked wins against.

As for the rest of it it's all assumption. It might happen but it might not. Ojamaa is a good player but people need to remember he scored 4 goals in 44 matches in his only full season at the club. Ojamaa needs other players to up their game or his contribution is limited, just has happened yesterday.

I've been a moderate, but I think fair, critic of McCall for various reasons over the years not just this season but I didn't expect us to be anywhere near as bad as we have been this season.

Put your hand on your heart and tell me you expected us to be sitting in this position at the beginning of the season? If you didn't then why should assertions of the type you have made above be taken as anything other than hopeful imaginings?

I've been going to football matches for nearly 30 years. I know a relegation threaten team when I see one, because unlike younger fans I've seen a few. This team is one of those. It's ghost of even last seasons team and its nothing to do with ability or even fitness. This team does not believe in itself and hasn't all season. When that happens its very difficult to recover.

If we are going to get out of this we are going to need to face some hard truths, figure out what is actually going wrong, what we can do to fix it and a hell of a lot of arse kicking, hard work and determination. We don't get out of this by thinking "everything is going to be OK".

• Like 3

What if we are in an unrecoverable position in January? And what "shite in this league" are you talking about? Every team has outplayed us this season, even the teams we've sneaked wins against.

As for the rest of it it's all assumption. It might happen but it might not. Ojamaa is a good player but people need to remember he scored 4 goals in 44 matches in his only full season at the club. Ojamaa needs other players to up their game or his contribution is limited, just has happened yesterday.

I've been a moderate, but I think fair, critic of McCall for various reasons over the years not just this season but I didn't expect us to be anywhere near as bad as we have been this season.

Put your hand on your heart and tell me you expected us to be sitting in this position at the beginning of the season? If you didn't then why should assertions of the type you have made above be taken as anything other than hopeful imaginings?

I've been going to football matches for nearly 30 years. I know a relegation threaten team when I see one, because unlike younger fans I've seen a few. This team is one of those. It's ghost of even last seasons team and its nothing to do with ability or even fitness. This team does not believe in itself and hasn't all season. When that happens its very difficult to recover.

If we are going to get out of this we are going to need to face some hard truths, figure out what is actually going wrong, what we can do to fix it and a hell of a lot of arse kicking, hard work and determination. We don't get out of this by thinking "everything is going to be OK".

Fucking well said.....

I've been going to football matches for nearly 30 years. I know a relegation threaten team when I see one, because unlike younger fans I've seen a few. This team is one of those.

I’ve been going to games for nearly 50 years and I agree this side have a relegation look about them. It will take courage and determination to get us out of this mess, however, at least we are fortunate that we have some time to sort it out.

"everything is going to be OK".

Calm down and count to ten when the red mist descends.

I never insinuated it would be OK, so the use of quotes is unfair, but I do think we've been slow starters under McCall but as a whole we will click to a degree, it can't and won't go on all season, just not anywhere near as successful as last year. As for the league, Ross County and St. Mirren are the shite I'm talking about.

If you scroll back through my historical posts you'll see I said in March we were poor and our league placing flattered us, I got pilloried for that. We won ugly all season often by the odd goal and shipped goals against the top 5.

That was always due to be exposed and it has this season, where did I think based on that we'd 6th or 7th give or take.

I also agree there is a malaise about the club and I think the management do have to hold their hands up.

Far from thinking it'll be alright, I also don't think the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are trotting down Fir Park road.

• Like 1

McCall has done very well for us in the past but in my opinion his refusal to accept some of his ideas just don't work with the present squad is actually the biggest barrier to us getting out of the mess we are now in.

Biggest example is playing Kerr wide right. McCall tried him out there in the home leg against Stjarnan. It did not work and was even quite funny at times. He repeated the same tactic in the away leg and it proved even less successful but not as funny. Lesson learned?...No chance!

Fast forward several more failed attempts to the Accies match at Fir Park. Kerr starts at centre back but is switched to the right about 15 minutes in when it becomes obvious the long punt upfield from the goalie for Erwin is not working. Cue punts to the right wing for Kerr to win. That didn't work either. Yesterday we start with Kerr at right back in a 4-4-2 ish line up that frequently seemed to change to 3-5-2 with Kerr being expected to push forward, beat two or three players and then fire in a cross for Sutton to bullet home. Surprise, surprise it didn't work and actually led to the first Thistle goal. Agreed Vigurs failed woefully to track back and cover the huge gap left at the back, but surely the man to blame is the Manager who hung them out to dry. Kerr is a centre back, nothing more. Maybe one day the tactic will work and McCall can say he was proven right, but how many games must we lose before then just to satisfy his ego.

There are other numerous examples with other players...Erwin wide right/left or left back! Josh Law anywhere. Sutton on the right wing for 15 minutes at Killie to name a few.

At times it feels like McCall is actually trying to punish certain players. Leaving ZFA on the pitch until 10 minutes from the end against Accies despite him having a nightmare and giving away the first goal whilst Stevie Hammell sits warming the bench. Kerr being forced to play on the wing with Ainsworth only getting on when the game is lost . Thomas not even meriting a place on the bench. Madness.

Rant over. Apologies

• Like 2

Calm down and count to ten when the red mist descends.

I never insinuated it would be OK, so the use of quotes is unfair, but I do think we've been slow starters under McCall but as a whole we will click to a degree, it can't and won't go on all season, just not anywhere near as successful as last year. As for the league, Ross County and St. Mirren are the shite I'm talking about.

If you scroll back through my historical posts you'll see I said in March we were poor and our league placing flattered us, I got pilloried for that. We won ugly all season often by the odd goal and shipped goals against the top 5.

That was always due to be exposed and it has this season, where did I think based on that we'd 6th or 7th give or take.

I also agree there is a malaise about the club and I think the management do have to hold their hands up.

Far from thinking it'll be alright, I also don't think the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are trotting down Fir Park road.

Excessive smoke belching from your back peddling.

Here, dampen the flames with some of my excessive pant juice!

I think McCall will keep us up by the skin of our teeth and then leave.Although we have to finish 10th, as a playoff is; a)a cup game and b)probably against Rangers,so we've already lost.

I'd think about risking a few quid now at long odds on us beating actually Rangers in that playoff. What do you reckon, 1000-1? It would be a more worthwhile bet than the increasingly odds on certainty that we'll finish bottom.

For me a major issue this season so far is that McCall keeps chopping and changing his playing 11. I know there have been issues with injuries but he now needs to decide what his best/preferred starting 11 is and stick with them - injuries excepted. It hardly encourages players confidence that if they have a poor game they are dropped.

First thing he needs to do is to get the back four sorted out and stop leaking goals. Fuck the attacking football philosophy for a while and concentrate on making us harder to score against. A few draws would do us no harm.

If i remember correctly,Laws goal didnt relegate Man utd, were they not already down?....just sayin

United were 3 points ahead of City going into the game, however, they did have an inferior goal difference. Technically if Law hadn’t scored a 0-0 draw would have been enough to keep them up. The other results on the day went against them as well which meant they were relegated.

United were 3 points ahead of City going into the game, however, they did have an inferior goal difference. Technically if Law hadn’t scored a 0-0 draw would have been enough to keep them up. The other results on the day went against them as well which meant they were relegated.

yip, i can remember a big fuss about it at the time, then it was in my head that it wouldnt have mattered... i stand corrected

McCall has done very well for us in the past but in my opinion his refusal to accept some of his ideas just don't work with the present squad is actually the biggest barrier to us getting out of the mess we are now in.

Biggest example is playing Kerr wide right. McCall tried him out there in the home leg against Stjarnan. It did not work and was even quite funny at times. He repeated the same tactic in the away leg and it proved even less successful but not as funny. Lesson learned?...No chance!

Fast forward several more failed attempts to the Accies match at Fir Park. Kerr starts at centre back but is switched to the right about 15 minutes in when it becomes obvious the long punt upfield from the goalie for Erwin is not working. Cue punts to the right wing for Kerr to win. That didn't work either. Yesterday we start with Kerr at right back in a 4-4-2 ish line up that frequently seemed to change to 3-5-2 with Kerr being expected to push forward, beat two or three players and then fire in a cross for Sutton to bullet home. Surprise, surprise it didn't work and actually led to the first Thistle goal. Agreed Vigurs failed woefully to track back and cover the huge gap left at the back, but surely the man to blame is the Manager who hung them out to dry. Kerr is a centre back, nothing more. Maybe one day the tactic will work and McCall can say he was proven right, but how many games must we lose before then just to satisfy his ego.

There are other numerous examples with other players...Erwin wide right/left or left back! Josh Law anywhere. Sutton on the right wing for 15 minutes at Killie to name a few.

At times it feels like McCall is actually trying to punish certain players. Leaving ZFA on the pitch until 10 minutes from the end against Accies despite him having a nightmare and giving away the first goal whilst Stevie Hammell sits warming the bench. Kerr being forced to play on the wing with Ainsworth only getting on when the game is lost . Thomas not even meriting a place on the bench. Madness.

Rant over. Apologies

You've hit the nail right on the head with that post.

Alex Neil with Accies took one game to get his side to score and win at Parkhead. McCall took 9 games to get a goal and a single point. We don't need to look too far to see what the major problem currently is and what the answer to it is.

When Alex Neil takes Hamilton to successive second place finishes then we can look jealously over the Clyde at what they have.

• Like 4

1412522045[/url]' post='422524']

For me a major issue this season so far is that McCall keeps chopping and changing his playing 11. I know there have been issues with injuries but he now needs to decide what his best/preferred starting 11 is and stick with them - injuries excepted. It hardly encourages players confidence that if they have a poor game they are dropped.

First thing he needs to do is to get the back four sorted out and stop leaking goals. Fuck the attacking football philosophy for a while and concentrate on making us harder to score against. A few draws would do us no harm.

Agree with everything you've just said

Alex Neil with Accies took one game to get his side to score and win at Parkhead. McCall took 9 games to get a goal and a single point. We don't need to look too far to see what the major problem currently is and what the answer to it is.

Yes. I can't believe McCall wasn't sacked after that first goalless game at Parkhead. That is completely unacceptable.

Imagine what we could've achieved if someone competent was in charge? Three successive runner up spots instead of two, maybe?

I seem to recall a lot of people on here willing to take a crap season, just not getting relegated, to win the scottish cup. So I would think thos same people need to allow McCall to at least stay til we exit the scottish cup. Seems like the first part is going to plan ? I stil think we will turn it around.

There's no point in SM saying week in, week out, that we need to work harder.

That should have been done preseason along with set ups and formations.

The team don't look fit enough although a lack of pace throughout this team might be the problem. Couple this, with tactical set ups and continual rotations of players that unbalance the team, could be having an effect on players attitudes come match day.

Whatever the reason, SM needs to find a solution PDQ or the consequence could be dire for MFC.

MFC needs to survive this season and lay foundations for the long term, otherwise we could languish down the leagues for years to come.

Time for BOD's, management and players to show some mettle.

COYW

• Like 1

This is not a prediction of what will happen, but it is worth remembering how often teams in the SPFL can have purple patches than can move them up several positions in the league. Accies are clearly in the middle of a purple patch that they will find very difficult to sustain week after week. Dundee and ICT it could be argued have already had a small purple patch at the start of the season that they are already sliding backwards from. Motherwell showed last season with the same squad of players how capable they are of going on such a run.

Confidence is the biggest asset in the SPFL and Well need to find that confidence from somewhere but if they do, top 6 is well within their grasp. Even with a 13 pt difference between the two Lanarkshire teams at the moment, the tables can quickly turn.

Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd have more going for them than the other teams in the league so they should be in the top three. Beyond that any other team in that league is still capable of finishing 4th, Motherwell included (87 points still to play for I think).

It is not time to hit the panic button yet although admittedly that time may not be too far away.