Where Do We Go From Here?

MelvinBragg

Well if he didn't then presumably he saw it like we did so why didn't he change it?

Obviously, he sets up a team to annoy the fans and give us a small a chance of winning as possible. When players don't execute his instructions (by accidentally doing something good), he changes it by bringing on injured replacements who are motivated only by fans' jeers.

• Like 1

There are far too many people who criticise no matter what, but there's a similar number of people who won't criticise no matter what. I wish they'd all just wrap it and leave the rest of us to have a constructive debate.

debates were much more enjoyable when conducted over a few beers in the pub rather than from behind a keyboard :cheers:

Do you really think that was McCall's instructions to the midfield?

I actually do... it was happening far to often to be anything else. We've seen McCall try to be clever with his tactics on occasion before and it doesn't often end well (Hammell centre mid in the cup final?!).

To be fair though, Lasley contributing very little in either an attacking or defensive sense in the middle of the park can't be blamed on tactics... that's simply because he's rank rotten at the moment. But then again, surely a manager should see that and do something about it?

We're a top six team. That's what we aim for, we secure it by winning as many games as possible. People that want more than that shouldn't, if we get more than that though then great. We've been fortunate in previous seasons playing out many a game for a narrow, scrappy win. There has been very few occasions in recent seasons where we've played truly great football but plenty were we've been woefull during succussful seasons. We've had a bad start yeah, agreed, but there are many more games to come where we can pick up scrappy points and get on.

We have no right to be at the top of the table nor any right to be top 6 (at any point in the season) but from what I know of our manager and our squad, we can achieve top 6 and we can panic later on in the season if need be.

A bad start and a dissasterous euro run isn't enough for me to chuck my ST. If we continue to flap and end up in the relegation play offs then I can appreciate those considering it but just now it's just knee jerk reactions. Hope for better days, we've seen enough of them with similar squads maki g the same mistakes we've alway made so lets just bide our time and see what happens.

debates were much more enjoyable when conducted over a few beers in the pub rather than from behind a keyboard :cheers:

Precisely. There was none of this bitching like a bunch of old biddies about other folk's opinions just because it didn't sit well with them or folk giving smart arsed 'I'm a better supporter than you' lectures. You discussed the game and gave your opinion, often that sparked debate but that's what football does and one of the reasons I love it so much.

Sadly the internet gives a platform to nuggets who would probably have been forever told to weisht down their local every time they opened their mouths to spout their self imporrant , boring drivel.

• Like 3

The problem isn't people posting boring drivel, or even people being trying to shout down others' opinions (although that is a little more obnoxious). Censorship is generally the poorer alternative.

The problem is the escalation of crap that would die a death if people would just ignore it. That is a more recent internet phenomenon, and by no way limited to this site.

We have no right to be at the top of the table nor any right to be top 6

We now have every right to expect Top 6. If we don't achieve it then at least one person (but more likely a few) isn't doing their job properly.

Aim, Achieve, Adapt your aim. Repeat.

• Like 1

There certainly seems to be a malise around the club at the moment...

it was spoken about at length pre-season surrounding the whole transfer window, news coming out of the club and in the early European "Campaign".

This has certainly continued into the first 4 matches, where it can only be said that the level of fatigue and quietness has continued onto the SPL (or whatever it is calling itself).

We are looking at a playing staff which is un-sharp, unfit or injured, backed by a management team (at all levels), which is apparently so concerned about maintaing a respectable media image (or lack of media image), that we do nothing to get people fired up, whether that be our fans, players or indeed the opposition.

Last season, we managed to trundle through like this (remarkably) however it would appear that things are finally starting to catch up with us.

It is time that every aspect of the club starting adding a bit of impetuous to proceedings - for as much as we criticise Dundee Utd. or Aberdeen, I am sure a fair few would not mind a bit of the energy which surrounds those clubs at the moment. Yes, we might not have the same resources, but that does not mean that we can rest on what we have...

My line of work means that I work with products and the brands surrounding them. If I was to look at Motherwell at the moment, I would be saying that the end product has become stale and static and therefore working back from that point, we have to look at what image we are portraying on the park first.

We seem to be in the situation that whilst we have players injured, management are so concerned with shuffling players to maintain their known formation and shape that we are shooting ourselves in the foot...

Of course, this is only my opinion, but I look at the squad in terms of what we have at the moment (under the assumption that all will be fit after St. Johnstone - as we are told) and I think what would I got with...

---------------------------------- Nielsen (Twardzik has been guilty of too many of the same mistakes already which breeds a lack of confidence)

----Ramsden-------McManus-------O'Brien (Assuming he brought in as the much missed Hutchinson replacement)-----Hammell

----------------------------------------------- Lasley (Must improve)

--------------Ainsworth-------------------Leitch-----------------------------Vigurs

--------------------Sutton----------------------------Ojamaa

Subs:

Twardzik

Francis-Angol

Reid

Kerr

Lawson

Carswell

Law

Thomas

Erwin

My point being that we have to change our set-up, create a sense of urgency in the team and amongst opponents. We seem to be cramming in players to have them fill a certain style, rather than looking at how we can best utilise our resources. Of course, it is easy to say that we have 3 of the above team injured, but I am sure we can agree that there is a direct replacement amongst the subs for almost all starters listed.

We have to create a bit of energy and spark. The season is flittering away for some already who are loosing interest which four games in, is a sad state of affairs...

• Like 1

I think there is a lack of confidence and fitness in the team and that has be addressed. But other than that I dont think there is too much wrong. We didnt have a high turn over of players this year, did the majority of our transfer business early and papped our europe early with little public friendlies. That, I think is being misinterpreted as the club being in a malaise, being quiet etc.

When I seen us v Stjarnan I said it would take us 4/5 games to get going, add into that injuries and unsettled team and I could sre it being a couple more before we get some points

The only changes I would make are Law for Leitch and Erwin for Sutton.

There is definitely reason for concern but I am not too worried as yet.

I must be missing all these matches were Jack Leitch is a stick on first choice midfielder.

I've seen him give one excellent performance against Celtic and the rest where much of a muchness at best. Yesterday he hardly kicked the ball.

I'm not saying he won't break into the team eventually or that he has no future at Motherwell but right now I don't see it.

It's almost a mark of desperation when we are elevating Jack Leitch to a status that he doesn't actually deserve.

For me Lee Erwin has shown a lot more in a couple of games than Jack Leitch has in 15 or however many it is.

I must be missing all these matches were Jack Leitch is a stick on first choice midfielder.

I've seen him give one excellent performance against Celtic and the rest where much of a muchness at best. Yesterday he hardly kicked the ball.

I'm not saying he won't break into the team eventually or that he has no future at Motherwell but right now I don't see it.

It's almost a mark of desperation when we are elevating Jack Leitch to a status that he doesn't actually deserve.

For me Lee Erwin has shown a lot more in a couple of games than Jack Leitch has in 15 or however many it is.

100% agree

Agree re Erwin.....

Disagree with Leitch. The Utd game away, his first start off the season he was the best midfielder on the pitch. The next game he was dropped. 15 games, how many starts has he had??

Any time I have watched him, he wants the ball, he looks to pass, isn't scared to tackle or take a shot at goal. Not just the Celtic game, which to me is still a good barometer of a player, one who bossed Scott Brown.

What of the above are Lasley and Carswell doing at the moment. Lasley since the season started has been really poor and playing on the left side of the midfield two which means he is having to tackle with his left foot this giving away fouls and being caught out.

Carswell is young and good defensive midfielder but offers nothing creative or goal scoring.

Leitch is a central midfielder playing on the left yesterday seemingly.... Not his position... Surprisingly he didn't play well...

Most probably down a division with no finances or no structure to come back up.

That unfortunately is a highly possible outcome.

L.D. left for a reason -she knew that financial hardships were about to unfold and moved with a high reputation intact.

A.B. stayed, due to being a loyal Motherwell fan (and an undoubted talent on the media front.)

However, being offered the G.M. position seemed a panicked reaction and now that we appear to have hit the buffers, there is no one of note capable of steadying the ship.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about team selections, unbalanced formations etc and the need to get back to basics and get in their faces.

The fitness is so bad, there's no more gears left in this team.

The spine of the team have plenty of experience, but the truth is, they've all lost a further yard in pace and are pedestrian at best. Couple this in with wide players not tracking back and we are exposed and over run, time after time in most games.

We are unfit, unbalanced, lazy and I don't believe this team are capable of winning a dog fight if/when the time comes.

Someone at F.P. has to take this by the scruff of the neck ASAP before it is too late.

I expect to be slaughtered - but that's an honest assessment from being outside looking in.

• Like 3