Expectations For Season 14/15

Judge Jules

Not at all, I'd love to see us win a cup, just not at the possible expense of us losing our top flight status.

If we finished 5th or 6th and won a cup I'd be happy enough with that.

Agree with this 100%.

There's nothing I'd love more than to see us win one of the domestic cups, especially the Scottish Cup, but not in return for relegation which would be crticially damaging for us as a club.

Give me a 6th to 10th placed league finish this season and a Cup win and I'll be delighted.

• Like 1

I think the battle to get in the top 6 will be the most keenly contested in the league this year. All of the teams who normally finish in the bottom half will fancy their chances thanks to the Edinburgh clubs not being there as potential rivals. The title can be given to that lot first day of the season, the euro spots will realistically be amongst Aberdeen United and possibly Saints and ourselves, and i think Accies and St Midden will be cut adrift and fight each other for the automatic or play off spot. So if everybody else is having a crack at predicting the full league i'll join in.

Celtic

Aberdeen

St Johnstone

Dundee Utd

Motherwell

Dundee

--------------------

Kilmarnock

Inverness

Ross County

Partick

--------------------

Accies

--------------------

St Midden

Celtic

Aberdeen

St Johnstone

Dundee Utd

Motherwell

Dundee

--------------------

Kilmarnock

Inverness

Ross County

Partick

--------------------

Accies

--------------------

St Midden

That's how I see the top 6 and bottom 6 being for teams. Order wise maybe Swap StJ for Utd and St Mirren for Accies.

Think the best we can hope for is 5th or 6th. One thing for sure is that we will concede plenty again, hopefully score plenty also.

If the season ticket increase allows us to maintain last years budget as originally planned, then the aim should be top 4.

However, I'd much rather focus on developing Thomas, Erwin, Moore and Leitch and notching a few memorable cup victories along the way.

I expect Aberdeen to be much closer to Celtic this season and for Dundee to have a bit of an impact under Hartley.

Stevenson and Higginbotham feeding Faddy sounds ok to me.

I'll accept that the three could make an impression but I don't think their squad is strong enough to finish in the top 6. I think I saw enough of Faddy last season to say that his days of 90 minutes of quality football are long gone and I don't think his limited playing time will be of any great benefit to Thistle. Higginbotham will put in a 5 star performance one week and be anonymous the next. Spoke with a Jambo friend who says that Stevenson has difficulty maintaining fitness over a season now.My predictions:CelticAberdeenDundee UtdMotherwellSt JohnstoneInvernessRoss CountyKilmarnockDundeePartickHamiltonSt Mirren

We seem to be crossing over between expectations, predictions and hopes throughout the thread so I'm going to do each individually.

Expectations: I expect we'll be along much the same lines as last season, generally doing just enough to scrape past most of our opponents with the continuing capacity to blow teams away and be blown away on the odd occasion.

Hopes: Many. Second place and two Cup wins would be nice, however fanciful. Back in the real world I hope first and foremost that we can remain in the top half and beyond that then have high a finish as possible. I also hope for silverware in one Cup competition which isn't beyond us despite the deep-rooted pessimism of some.

Other hopes include the youngsters knocking on the door. I have nothing against McHugh and Lawson but it would be nice if the likes of Leitch, Cadden, Thomas, Erwin and when he's fit Moore made a sufficiently good impact over the course of the season that we could afford to re-invest the salaries of those more senior pros without any loss to the squad.

I also hope we pump Accies three times without conceding.

Predictions: In terms of the league as a whole I'm not so sure just now is the right time to be making predictions how things will pan out (other than Aberdeen assuming their natural place as Champions elect, scrap that Champions League Champions elect) what with the season still a couple of weeks away, and indeed further scope to strengthen squads until the window closes.

And we're no different. For us at the moment I see our starting eleven weaker than how we finished. I still believe we'll make additions to bring that back up, though to what level remains to be seen. I get the impression that the board realise that cutting the budget too severely will lead to downward spiral that could cost them more in the long run, so I would expect they will give McCall what was originally earmarked and continue to back him as much as they can. What league position that will all translate into, who knows?

Would take a relegation battle if it ment a cup

Several Cups been there for the taking in last few years.

This season.

Celtic

Aberdeen

D Utd

St Johnstone

Caley

Accies

Killie,St Mirren, Motherwell, Thistle, Dundee, County to contest the Diddy end, with Killie going down.

Several Cups been there for the taking in last few years.

This season.

Celtic

Aberdeen

D Utd

St Johnstone

Caley

Accies

Killie,St Mirren, Motherwell, Thistle, Dundee, County to contest the Diddy end, with Killie going down.

The top 4 i could believe but ICT and Accies top 6..aye right

More or less the same squads for most teams as last season so i expect the league to end up the same i.e. Dons, Us, StJ and Untd fighting it out for best of the rest and Europe.

Accies going down, Dundee playoff, and the rest mid table mediocrity.

Edited by Yabba's Turd
Be nice

For me I'm not expecting much this year. On our budget it's unreasonable to keep expecting high finishes and I think this will be the year it hits us. We may have to accept a position around 8th which for me isn't the end of the world. I'd like us to win a cup game or 2 and finish above accies.

I'd take pretty much anything above relegation. Finish as high as possible for financial reasons and nothing more. A run in a cup, Hampden once is a must if McCall wants to ensure he can keep this support on side.

If not, at Top 3 finish and change of gaffer for (just) the euro games next season.

Think January's window could be pivotal. If we bring in some player from down south with pace to stop Fraser Kerr playing right mid every game, we should be able to keep a fight going. Or indeed if we manage to make a decent pre-contract signing to give the players some incentive to keep going.

Think a change of the senior players will also play a part this season. Don't think Las or Hammy will be up to scratch for the most part so Jack Leitch will get his chance more often than not.

Good points Andy but I can't see any significant additions otherwise I think they would have been in place to play in Poland ......

I'm not so sure that would be the case. There's a debate to be had about McCall or the club's willingness to speculate to accumulate when it comes to these European ties - one that arguably may be somewhat skewed after the events of this Euro "campaign" - but McCall has often done business right up to, and indeed after the close of the transfer window.

It's just doesn't appear his style to take a gamble on a signing a player with one or two games in mind. There's clearly been an element of familiatiry with a number of his signings - although quite why this seems to rankle as much with some fans I struggle to understand - but you think of Law, he was supposedly up on trial on a few occasions before we commited, Ojamma and Anier likewise had trials before we committed.

It's fairly well acknowledged also that he likes to see what availability there is in the English loan market and that availability only really emerges by the time our season is underway.

I just don't see it being any different this year and fully expect another one or two to be at the club by the close of the window.

Starting point for me, as always, is avoid relegation.

Our league position the last couple of seasons has been impressive and, given the amounts our closest rivals have been spending in recent years, to be in the mix at the top end again would be quite an achievement.

A decent run in one of the cups would be very welcome.

Would also love to see guys like Erwin, Thomas etc. establish themselves as first team regulars.

Pretty much what Weeyin said, with particular emphasis on the last point. This is the year McCall has to show faith in our younger players to deliver for us, rather than using the same 15/16 players consistently as he has done over the last few seasons.

I can see Thomas and Erwin becoming regulars, along with Leitch if they get enough game time.