Tommy Mclean Autobiography

Andy_P

Anybody else read wee Tam's autobiogrpahy?

I got the paperback version for the old man at Christmas (he never ever did say whether he enjoyed it come to think of it) but saw it on a special recently and managed to pick it up for the Kindle for something like £1.50.

It's actually pretty good.

I've read a few books where the player in question has played with one of the Old Firm and Motherwell and whilst obviously they need to appeal to the Old Firm punters to get the sales, it can feel like the non-Old Firm chapters are almost an afterthought and tagged on.

I read "Coop" recently where the author, whose name escapes, had Billy Davies - who didn't actually play with Cooper at Fir Park, Rangers fans bemoaning his sale, and some female stalker with a Cooper fascination making up the bulk of the contributions on the chapter of his time at 'Well.

But don't be put off by the obligatory Rangers photo on the cover, McLean really does his time at Fir Park justice in this. I think there's a good 10 chapters detailing his time with us and various other references to his time at Motherwell across the book. There were a couple of interesting revelations too that I hadn't known about previously - like him being offered the Aberdeen job whilst at Motherwell and I really liked his comment that "I left Motherwell but Motherwell never left me".

I think its back up towards something like full price again (around six quid) but well worth a read if anyone is looking for something Motherwell related to have a gander at.

• Like 1

Without wanting to say too much, as a couple of posters, have said they intend to read the book it came down to money.

He understood he was on a salary way below the rest of Premier League managers at that time and felt that should be redressed given his achievements. The club wouldn't move on their offer and he felt it was time to go.

He says the Hearts gig wasn't pre-arranged and goes on to make a comment or two to make about his successor.

he was 47 when he left fir park (3 years younger than SMc is currently) and he only had another three seasons as a manager after that.

he obviously ended up with a cushy number at ibrox but given the increased budget that was made available to mcleish he must have some regrets that he didn't stick around at fir park.

litigating against hearts and then walking out of raith rovers after 6 days probably made him unemployable for any chairman other than his brother. alan curbishley has barely worked since taking west ham to court for selling their own players,he probably has some regrets as well.

Read this book in a five hour sitting last night. Pretty interesting and he seems to hold strong opinions and still feels he has something to offer the game. I know his name has come up every time we need a new manager, and I've always dismissed him as yesterday's man. Having read how he's kept himself up to date, maybe I was being hasty...

Read this book in a five hour sitting last night. Pretty interesting and he seems to hold strong opinions and still feels he has something to offer the game. I know his name has come up every time we need a new manager, and I've always dismissed him as yesterday's man. Having read how he's kept himself up to date, maybe I was being hasty...

At age 67 he would be classed as one of the more mature managers, however, if you are still mentally fit I see no reason why you can't still manage a team in the top flight.

At age 67 he would be classed as one of the more mature managers, however, if you are still mentally fit I see no reason why you can't still manage a team in the top flight.

I think the reason that many (myself included) thought that his days were gone was that modern day football post-Bosman meant he couldn't rule with the iron fist he was perceived to.

Having read his take on the modern game and young players, I may have been wrong...

he was 47 when he left fir park (3 years younger than SMc is currently)

I would never have thought that. To me, Tommy McLean was always a wee old man with a tartan showl over his knees that would fly off when he got animated.

Now I'm approaching that age!

I would never have thought that. To me, Tommy McLean was always a wee old man with a tartan showl over his knees that would fly off when he got animated.

Now I'm approaching that age!

Same perception here. You always look at the pictures and videos and think he is the old guy we know now, but to have only been 47 when he left...that's quite young for a manager.

That's too quick.

• 10 months later...

Just finished McLean's autobiography and found it (as a Dosser) a great read.

He covers all his professional career, but a surprising amount of the book covers his time at the Well: shouldn't be surprising given the number of years with us, but he obviously has taken the club to heart.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the pre and post Well parts of the book as well.

MON RA DOSSERS