Motherwell Vs St Mirren 09/08/14

David

4 things i took from todays game

1. Jim Goodwin is an imposter of a player. all he done all days was kick folk and should have been red carded in the first half.

2. Zaine Francis Angol is NOT a left back.

3. Thankfully St Mirren don't have a decent goalscorer

4. We played terrible but still won so got to be happy with that :)

The usual morons spectacularly missing the point as per. We're not going to be able to rely on other teams being toothless up front and spilling shots right to our players.

One game with loads of injuries. A game in which we have won and you are calling us morons for being happy with a win.

Yer either fishing like fuck or are a total doom merchant.

Yes listened on radio at work. Always a tough game against them. 3 points maybe unexpected considering the players we were missing but a good start. :thumbup:

We had Hammell, Vigurs and Ramsden missing.

I'd argue thats two from a regular first eleven

and those that stood in were the first choice replacements

I'm not buying this understrength line.

the team might have been patched up, but since we're not getting told any detail thats a guess

It was a decent enough line up and a decent enough performance for the first League game.

I was delighted that when we went up, the boss didnt revert to type and try and close it out, as it was, we still let them back into it and poor finishing from them and some terrific work from Dan kept us in front.

it was a delight seeing Lee Erwin today, great work ethic and touch and finishing as well, but most pleasing was seeing him hold onto the ball and not just punt it on, to lose possesion, something many of our 1st choice players with hundreds of hours of game time embarrasingly cant seem to comprehend.

Law again looked a decent addition, and Fraser Kerr looked like he could actually be a footballer if played back there.

Its clear the team still need games, plenty of them coming along 5 in August!

hopefully those that played today are still in tact, Wednesday will be a test as it is, another couple out would really stretch us.

The usual morons spectacularly missing the point as per. We're not going to be able to rely on other teams being toothless up front and spilling shots right to our players.

We were by in large poor today

We got out of jail because St Mirren could not score in a barrel of fannies

But most on here are not in dire need of prozac

Most on here know we will play better

Most on here know we had injuries and suspensions

Most on here know we are still trying to get 2 1st team players in on loan

And most on here can enjoy a win + a clean sheet in our 1st game of the season however we managed it

If you want to keep moaning like a spoilt wee brat and a broken record - fill your boots - just don't expect no-one to comment

Capiche

• Like 1

What an ugly strip they have!

I now have epilepsy.

Law looked fucked with 30 to go, but all in all, I'm happy to head back up the road with three points. Jim Goodwin is an hilarious human being, absolute throbber.

Hugely impressed with Erwin, won a watch with him. Big, strong, competitive, decent free kick, cracking touch, great finish.

Some of us don't really give a flying fuck

C'mon the well

So you'll be happy with that level of performance every game of the season? Come on, Steve, I know you're a glass half full kinda guy but surely you can see that we got out of jail big time today?

We had Hammell, Vigurs and Ramsden missing.

I'd argue thats two from a regular first eleven

and those that stood in were the first choice replacements

I'm not buying this understrength line.

the team might have been patched up, but since we're not getting told any detail thats a guess

McCall gives more details in his post match - didn't want to use it as an excuse if they lost, which is fair enough.

Sounds like they have been struggling with a number of injuries the last couple of weeks, and at least Kerr and ZFA were not fully fit, while 7 or 8 were being iced after the game. And McManus has been dealing with personal issues that have been a distraction.

Also seems like Vigurs is injured too, but he didn't say if it would hamper his return after suspension.

4 things i took from todays game

1. Jim Goodwin is an imposter of a player. all he done all days was kick folk and should have been red carded in the first half.

2. Zaine Francis Angol is NOT a left back.

3. Thankfully St Mirren don't have a decent goalscorer

4. We played terrible but still won so got to be happy with that :)

Sorry but not having that today. The guy has his detractors and I'm not entirely sold on him myself to be honest but I thought he had very good game at left back today.

Kerr I also thought came onto a decent game after a shaky start and Twardzik made several vital saves that won us the points. Given some of them like Reid and Kerr clearly weren't fit and that it was a patchwork defence I think we have to be happy with the clean sheet. I do feel sorry for our defence at times though, they get very little protection. I lost count of the number of times our midfield failed to track runners or were simply taken out the game by one pass and left our fragile defence very exposed. A worry going into the game against United on Wednesday who you feel will not be so forgiving if presented with the same opportunists.

Going forward we didn't offer a great deal, any flash of inspiration seemed to come through the very impressive Erwin. Ainsworth didn't turn up until after the hour and Law drifted in and out of the game but did look lively at times and you glimpses of his natural ability. Sutton worked hard as ever but probably needs a goal to really kick start his season. Lasley had shocker of a 1st half but improved slightly in the 2nd. Lot of pressure on young Erwin's shoulders but he put in a very promising display and if anyone deserved the winner for us it was him.

Overall not great stuff today but we all would have taken 3 points and a clean sheet before kick off. Big improvement will be required for Tannadice but we'll worry about that next week. Today however demonstrated exactly why nobody outside of the OF has finished above us in over 3 years. Cause somehow despite not playing well, carrying several injured players and having a makeshift team out there we have a remarkable knack of grinding out the 3 points.

Long may it continue.

I do feel sorry for our defence at times though, they get very little protection. I lost count of the number of times our midfield failed to track runners or were simply taken out the game by one pass and left our fragile defence very exposed. A worry going into the game against United on Wednesday who you feel will not be so forgiving if presented with the same opportunists.

Overall not great stuff today but we all would have taken 3 points and a clean sheet before kick off. Big improvement will be required for Tannadice but we'll worry about that next week. Today however demonstrated exactly why nobody outside of the OF has finished above us in over 3 years. Cause somehow despite not playing well, carrying several injured players and having a makeshift team out there we have a remarkable knack of grinding out the 3 points.

Good post. The result was possibly more important than the performance today. I thought Twardzik, Kerr, ZFA, Law and Erwin all had decent games but Lasley and Carswell were poor and failed to protect those behind them. Given that we had a makeshift back 4 you'd have thought that they'd shield them more effectively.

Good to see Erwin score on his debut. He did well but not quite ready for frequent first team just yet - a gradual introduction from the subs bench will do him good.

Our organisation was lacking today - Saints found just too much space all over the park. Still they couldn't score - not our problem!

Onwards and upwards. .

I enjoyed the first game of the season, after all the doom and gloom i was not looking forward to it. The make shift defense did well today ZFA had his best game today at full back, and Twardzik dealt with everything thrown at him.

Like most i thought we looked off the pace in the middle of the park strange considering Lasley and Carswell have played frequently together, looked like Carswell was carrying an injury.

Great to see Erwin get his goal well taken on his starting debut.

3 points and were off all in all not so bad

Kmcalpin's opinion as above I'd guess (and a reasonable one at that)

What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of Erwin dropping out next week?

Realistically there are three expendable players for McCall. Erwin for Vigurs (move Law forward), Angol for Hammell and Kerr for Ramsden.

Personally, I think dropping Erwin would be madness at this point, but could see the logic to bring in a creative player like Vigurs, IF he was guaranteed at least 15 mins or so.

Glad Erwin got a goal and sounded like he put in a decent performance,just a pity our promising striker will be back on the bench when McCall gets his own promising striker on loan from the reserves of some team in League 1!

• Like 1

Sorry but not having that today. The guy has his detractors and I'm not entirely sold on him myself to be honest but I thought he had very good game at left back today.

i actually like ZFA i think he is much better going forward. i just felt he was pulled out of position on too many occasions today.

Kmcalpin's opinion as above I'd guess (and a reasonable one at that)

What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of Erwin dropping out next week?

Realistically there are three expendable players for McCall. Erwin for Vigurs (move Law forward), Angol for Hammell and Kerr for Ramsden.

Personally, I think dropping Erwin would be madness at this point, but could see the logic to bring in a creative player like Vigurs, IF he was guaranteed at least 15 mins or so.

Even when he scores mid-week, he'll still get dropped if McCall gets a loan striker in

I dont get why Dave thinks a gradual introduction from the subs bench will do him good?

or even why he should even drop to the bench?

every single player needs game time, the lads played plenty of pro-games and endured injuries that would have taken others out the game

other options being a amateur defender thats stepped up to pro-level in Josh Law

Bob McHugh

or Fraser Kerr ...

Erwin dropping out would be crazy on the back of today, as the season develops sure see how it goes, this mentality of other teams nearly men are better than our youth needs to be lost.

some will be others will not. for every Lukas Jutkiewicz ther is a Callum Elliot