Motherwell Vs St Mirren 09/08/14

David

I wasn't at the game today but i'm currently watching the highlights on BBC alba and even watching this i can see that the defence is a fucking joke !! If thats a top 6 side we were playing today i shudder thinking what the scoreline could have been. It was shitty St Mirren so we got away with it this week but we cannot continue defending like that.

1407624553[/url]' post='418746']

Too many people are being clouded by the result. If Erwin hadn't got that break of the ball then this would be a very different thread.

I really don't think anyone is allowing the result to cloud judgement. It was not a great performance from us, anything but, and we've got a lot of work to do in order to improve our performamce. However we won the game and that is the main thing and given the downer since the Stjarnan debacle then it was important for us to start the season with a positive result, otherwise confidence and mood would have dropped further. Regardless of how many chances St.Mirren had, it's goals that win you games and we scored, they didn't so we get the points and they get none. Hopefully we'll take confidence from this and that stands us in good stead for the season ahead.

• Like 5

I was delighted with the 3 points but there was some glaring problems there. Especially Reid. Folk who were at the game can tell me better but from the highlights he looked fucking terrible ! Wylde looked as if he was having a field day cause Reid was always standing on the halfway line !

He wasn't 'fucking terrible'

According to SM after the game, Reid, Kerr and Zane were all carrying injuries and under normal circumstances wouldn't have even started. So while I agree he didn't have a great game there are mitigating circumstances. COYW!

Edited by wee_alpha

I dont get why Dave thinks a gradual introduction from the subs bench will do him good?

or even why he should even drop to the bench?

He did well today and as it turned out scored our winner. Definitely shows promise. I think he looked a bit raw, not surprising as he's inexperienced. Yes he needs more game time but we shouldn't expect too much of him at this stage or put him under too much pressure. Thats really it Iain.

As for some of the others, I agree with with Wee Alpha - a few were carrying knocks.

Overall happy tonight with 3 points won, the prospects of 2 new signings, if only on loan, and players returning from injury. As with any new season issues will emerge and we'll see how management reacts. At the moment central midfield seems to be causing a bit of concern. Too many unknowns at the moment to draw real conclusions about our defence.

• Like 1

Too many people are being clouded by the result. If Erwin hadn't got that break of the ball then this would be a very different thread.

Aye, you can't beat a bit of whataboutery.

If the referee hadn't given 2 soft penalties we'd be playing Inter in the next round, right?

• Like 1

1407626540[/url]' post='418753']

He was poor! He reminded me of Frank McGarvie ( for our older listeners) every time he got the ball he struggled to control it and on several occasions he seemed to be chasing a lost cause after a ridiculously poor 1st touch. That said our defence seemed almost static at times, without any pace at all and IMHO if St Midden had any proper forwards we would have lost that game easily.That said, when SMC changed things around with Lionel coming inside things looked far better. Carswell had a good game, but the midfield were 2nd to the ball too many times today.However 3 points are 3 points regardless of how you get them. Things can only get better!!

1407632660[/url]' post='418762']

He was poor! He reminded me of Frank McGarvie ( for our older listeners) every time he got the ball he struggled to control it and on several occasions he seemed to be chasing a lost cause after a ridiculously poor 1st touch. That said our defence seemed almost static at times, without any pace at all and IMHO if St Midden had any proper forwards we would have lost that game easily.That said, when SMC changed things around with Lionel coming inside things looked far better. Carswell had a good game, but the midfield were 2nd to the ball too many times today.However 3 points are 3 points regardless of how you get them. Things can only get better!!

Carswell had a good game???

I thought Law was the only one from the midfield who added much.

Carswell battled away but is too slow and St Mirrem players were running away from him too often, Lasley didn't have a good game either

In the circumstances it was a great 3 points and everyone would have taken a scrappy 1-0! At the start

If Thompson was fit we would have lost by 3 or 4. Abysmal.

It was far from 'abysmal'. You have a long season ahead of you it you think that is abysmal mate!!

We were far from good and got that by the skin of our teeth but decent 3 points given the injuries we had and good performance by big Lee Erwin.

Far from our best, but far from abysmal. Given the players we had unavailable and clearly some playing far from 100%, any kind of win would've done yesterday..

Positives: Thought Kerr, after an iffy first 15 minutes, had a good game in his actual position. I'd keep him in the team, if only so McCall can't bring him off the bench to play right midfield.

Erwin looks to have potential. Big and mobile generally enough to cause most SPL defenders problems (ask Ciftci). Looks more of an out and out striker than Moore. Looking long term, those two could work well together..

Negatives: Only one. If we insist on playing two in centre midfield against a team playing three in there, we're just inviting pressure. Those critical of Lasley and Carswell need to bear in mind that they were outnumbered.

Like I said, delighted with the three points. Don't expect much from Tannadice but already looking forward to next Saturday...

• Like 2

He wasn't 'fucking terrible' though.