Lee Hollis

mosquito

Maxwell was the first goalkeeper I seen in a 'Well jersey.

Hollis gave everyone around him the fear, not just us fans sitting in the stand.

Despite us having some poor keepers, with most being named, none of them are as bad as this imposter!

On the subject of Stevie Woods. He is always remembered for the high profile mistake against Rangers but he doesn't even make the top 3 shit keepers we have had in the last 25 years.

Aye he does

Stevie woods worst by far IMO. Remember years ago sitting in the main stand well vs hibs and Paul lambert had returned to fir park after going to Dortmund and made an appearance on the park at half time. My dad turns round and says to me "thank fuck Stevie woods isn't in goal, he's murder" ... Two guys infront of us turn round and give us dirty looks - Stevie Woods and Paul Lambert! Jim white was sitting 3 along from us, heard it and he was buckled laughing

A goalie who regularly gave team mates and fans alike the fears was Hugh Sprott. But he is generally regarded as a club hero. Just goes to show how time can change your view point. May be if Lee had swung on the bar or clattered a few strikers by running out to the half way line he would have been received better

No hard feelings at all, best of luck to him today and hope he's on the winning team.

Edit: Nope, despite their two senior keepers both being injured, Hollis still can't get a game! Jack Hamilton (presumably the youth keeper??) is starting with Hollis on the bench.

No hard feelings at all, best of luck to him today and hope he's on the winning team.

Edit: Nope, despite their two senior keepers both being injured, Hollis still can't get a game! Jack Hamilton (presumably the youth keeper??) is starting with Hollis on the bench.

I'm in no way a Hollis fan but the reason he didn't start today was because he literally only started full goalkeeping training yesterday after only running on a treadmill over the summer. This according to Neil Alexander at half time.

Good luck to him at Hearts, but i'm glad to see the back of him!! still baffled as to why McCall played him at the tail end of last season when Neilsen was starting to look quite good!!

I think we now have two decent goalies but I still think Neilsen has potential to be excellent, if he gets a run of games.....doubt that'll ever happen now tho!!

I would list Woods comfortably in the top half of Motherwell goalkeepers I've seen.

Stevie Woods was a great survivor but any time we had a good goalkeeper in the squad he found himself on the bench.

Sieb Dykstra and Scott Howie, his predecessor and (first) replacement, were streets ahead of Woods as goalkeepers. It goes without saying that even a reduced Andy Goram was far better. Mikko Kaven was a better goalkeeper than is remembered. Go back and watch the highlights if you don't believe me.

Francois Dubourdeau was a poor to average keeper, similar in standard to Woods, which is probably why they switched places a couple of times.

Mark Brown was also much better than Woods but wasn't incumbent for very long due to administration.

When Gordon Marshall came in it was like night and day after Dubourdeau and Woods. Someone that could actually organise a defence and catch crosses. No coincidence we started to improve as a side after a period in the doldrums that more or less coincided with Woods periods of first team action.

He was a good penalty saver and a decent shot stopper but I always say those are the easiest part of goalkeeping. His handling, competency at cross balls, ability to command and organise the penalty box and, infamously, his distribution were all poor and often very poor.

• Like 2

Sieb Dykstra and Scott Howie, his predecessor and (first) replacement, were streets ahead of Woods as goalkeepers. It goes without saying that even a reduced Andy Goram was far better. Mikko Kaven was a better goalkeeper than is remembered. Go back and watch the highlights if you don't believe me.

Enlarged, surely?

• Like 2

Was Howie in goals that day? I seem to remember he got put on the right wing out of harm's way.

Unfortunately Wood's howlers stand out in the memory but he played a lot of games so by the law of averages he would have made some. Old highlights show however that he also had a lot of good games and was better than a lot give him credit for.

Many just could not take to him or forgive him for the rangers cup mistake.

• Like 1

1408208789[/url'>' post='419461']

Stevie woods, no contest

1408212420' post='419473']

Stevie woods.....winning 2-1 scottish cup tie at fir park 2 mins to go against rangers

throws the ball against Durie..2-2.. pumpdd 3-0 at ibrox in replay... cunt

1408212858[/url'>' post='419475']

Stevie Woods was my biggest nightmare in the 90s

1408272585' post='419553']

Stevie woods worst by far IMO. Remember years ago sitting in the main stand well vs hibs and Paul lambert had returned to fir park after going to Dortmund and made an appearance on the park at half time. My dad turns round and says to me "thank fuck Stevie woods isn't in goal, he's murder" ... Two guys infront of us turn round and give us dirty looks - Stevie Woods and Paul Lambert! Jim white was sitting 3 along from us, heard it and he was buckled laughing

1408286308[/url'>' post='419582']

Stevie Woods was a great survivor but any time we had a good goalkeeper in the squad he found himself on the bench.

Francois Dubourdeau was a poor to average keeper, similar in standard to Woods, which is probably why they switched places a couple of times.

Mark Brown was also much better than Woods but wasn't incumbent for very long due to administration.

When Gordon Marshall came in it was like night and day after Dubourdeau and Woods. Someone that could actually organise a defence and catch crosses. No coincidence we started to improve as a side after a period in the doldrums that more or less coincided with Woods periods of first team action.

He was a good penalty saver and a decent shot stopper but I always say those are the easiest part of goalkeeping. His handling, competency at cross balls, ability to command and organise the penalty box and, infamously, his distribution were all poor and often very poor.

1408297936' post='419599']

John Gardiner and cammy Duncan gave me the fear but woods was worse by far.

Agree, completely, with the above responses. Woods was an absolute catastrophe of a goalkeeper with us and I've said all along the only reason he survived as long as he did at FP was because he was never able to establish himself as a first choice goalkeeper and thus no one else wanted him. He was here for something like nine years and played second fiddle to FIVE different goalkeepers in that time and only ever regained his place once they'd moved on or were out injured. There was a very good reason for that and that reason was because he was garbage.

I've said all along the only reason he survived as long as he did at FP was because he was never able to establish himself as a first choice goalkeeper and thus no one else wanted him. He was here for something like nine years

So, despite the fact he was mince, nobody at Fir Park was smart enough to either terminate his contract or not renew his contract - they felt it was better to keep paying him for 9 years.

He wasn't even close to the worst keeper we have had in my lifetime.

• Like 1

So, despite the fact he was mince, nobody at Fir Park was smart enough to either terminate his contract or not renew his contract - they felt it was better to keep paying him for 9 years.

Well I don't know the ins and outs of what the powers that be's position on his contract or presence within the club was but what I do know is that Woods was never able to hold the number 1 jersey as his own during his time at the club and Alex McLeish, Harri Kampman, Billy Davies and Eric Black/Terry Butcher all brought in another keeper whilst managing the club and ALL of those keepers either completely ousted Woods from the first team or were given long runs in the side at his expense. And given the level of Woods' performances in that same time it wasn't difficult to understand why.

There were quite a few managers came and went in that time, most of them from outside Scottish football so obviously they would all want to evaluate the squad themselves and come to their own conclusions. Problem was few of them lasted long enough to build a team.

Eric Black and Harri Kampman came and went in quick smart time. He was never a first choice under Billy Davies, mostly wasn't under Alex McLeish and was forced on Butcher by administration and shown the door as soon as was possible under the circumstances.

In fact apart from his first season when he came in for Dykstra, he only spent 1 season at the club out of 8 as first choice and that season we finished a dismal second bottom that term, one of the worst seasons to follow Motherwell in my memory.

Woods was rather fortuitous. Howie basically walked out on the club opening up a berth. Goram was injury prone. Mikko Kaven came and went with Kampmann. Dubourdeau wasn't very good and Mark Brown was a victim of the administration. During and immediately after administration we had to make do with what we had.

After Motherwell he made a further 9 professional career appearances for St. Mirren and never made a first team for Livingston.