Dundee Utd V Motherwell 13/08/14

Yabba's Turd

Huge lessons to be learned from last season. Need a solid back 4 that doesn't have a suicidal high line and a midfield that can get to grips with Armstrong.

St Johnstone showed how you take the sting out of United and hopefully we can adopt a similar game plan, pending some good news on the injury front.

not sure of who is available fo rthis game but based purely on reading some of the feedback on here anyone think we shoul skeep Kerr along side McManus and put Ramsden at right back? I think Ramsden was giving a lot more to the team at right back than he has done at centre back. Seems liek some positive feedback on Kerr at his natural position.

On the plus side we have an extra days rest and we've had more competitive football than Utd.

On the negative side, despite keeping a clean sheet on Saturday, I have serious misgivings about our defence.

I doubt Utd will be as wasteful in front of goal as St. Mirren were.

I am usually one of the more positive ones on here but I think we will struggle midweek. Would love a draw but can see us getting beaten. If Vigurs shakes off the wee knock he apparently also has, then I'd go:

4-1-4-1

Twardzik

Reid--Kerr--Mick--Angol

Lasley

Ainsworth--Carswell-Law-Vigurs

Erwin/Sutton

I am usually one of the more positive ones on here but I think we will struggle midweek. Would love a draw but can see us getting beaten. If Vigurs shakes off the wee knock he apparently also has, then I'd go:

4-1-4-1

Twardzik

Reid--Kerr--Mick--Angol

Lasley

Ainsworth--Carswell-Law-Vigurs

Erwin/Sutton

i know we struggle against utd but im pretty sure playing 12 players in frowned upon evilgrin.gif

apologies, just noticed u put erwin OR sutton, my bad thats what i get for trying to be a smart arse facepalm.gif

Edited by wellfan88

Apart from 2-2 draw up there, which was actually a pretty decent performance and game, the other 3 games v Utd last season were absolute horror shows of the highest order. I left Tannadice at 4-0 in the 5-1 game as angry and embarrassed as I've ever been in a long time.

With those games in mind and the fact that we are probably going to be missing several key players, others have yet to show even anything remotely approaching what they are capable of and with Utd bringing in a few really good players and coming of the back of a fantastic win over the greatest team since 1983.....the signs are not good and the smart money would be on a convincing home win.

I think that's how it will pan out. Could be a 3-0 or 4-0, but you never know.....

Hopefully McCall will have learned where we went wrong last season against them and will look to negate these facts.

My thoughts side with some of the other posters on this thread, we have been extremely naive against Dundee Utd in the past season or so, they play on the counter with pace down the flanks. We always seem to try and match them and end up playing too high up the park which leave tonnes of space in behind our full backs that wee whippets like GMS exploit for fun.

I'd pack out the middle of the park and tell our full backs not to commit forward and our left/right wingers to get back and double up on theirs. I'm hoping we play a 4-5-1 with the same defence as sat (depending on injuries) a midfield 5 of Lasley, Carswell, Ainsworth, Law and Vigurs and I'd opt for Erwin up front over Sutton just for his pace.