Dundee Utd V Motherwell 13/08/14

Yabba's Turd

It's getting close to the time that this poisonous pile of shite is shut down

you are actually as bad as anything else tonight SD, leave it and go to bed or work,

steelboy baited and was factually incorrect, nothing new there, move along and read the other comments.

• Like 3

Leitch and Erwin both had very good games, two exciting prospects. Erwin in particular was a real a handful again. Carswell done well sitting in front of the back 4 and Kerr had another good game in his natural position. Four of our starting line up came through our youth team and all put in impressive displays.

The young boy Ferguson done well enough given it was his debut and he was played out of position, kept it simple and made a few good interceptions.

Decent enough display, well organised and showed good discipline defensively. Just lacking a bit of pace and spark on the break. Law unlucky with his effort cracking the bar and Erwin looked to have been bundled over in the box but the ref waved it away. Could do nothing about the winner, an absolute screamer from the boy.

Thanks for the information, as always, Well 4 Europe. :thumbup:

its always disappointing to lose but giving the personnel mccall has got to work with right now it was no great surprise we lost this one.hopefully we can get some players back from injury as soon as possible were definately due a bit of luck in that direction also pleased to hear our younger players getting praise for there performance tonight.

• Like 1

Competed well but eventually sat deeper and deeper. It was some strike and was in all the way from where we were sitting but I wonder if the keeper could've got a hand to it? Erwin and leitch were outstanding. Lasley and Sutton once again contributed absolutely nothing. For all the defence is apparently weakened they did really well for the most part. The "senior" players are the ones that are the weak link so far. McCall predictably didn't make the the changes till they scored when we were crying out did them to be made round about 70 minutes. Had virtually no out ball the full second half!

Utd have quite a few thoroughly unlikeable players.

The ref had a shocker in my opinion.

More later....

Coming from a pessimistic feker like you, B-)

I'm thinking this probably went as well or better than many of us were expecting

the goal is obviously going to taint a review if passion is still running high, 'if only' speculation starts kicking in, as opposed to looking back at winning a point with a depleted team, and witnessing further progression of a couple of the lads.

had a few people feeding back now, Leitch and Erwin the standouts, reid somewhere near them, the Lad Ferguson handling himself well for being thrown in,

the subs in hindsight being a bit too late, but would they have stopped a really good piece of skill , who knows

equally had we anyone fit that McCall would have used?

not going for a win, into the second half of only the second league match, with a patched up side, isn't really too much to bemoan, perhaps not freshening it up, could be reflected upon, but then going too ealry twice agaisnt Stjarnan didnt work out either.

Still plenty of tinkering to do, lets face it, a sluggish start to a league campaign under McCall isnt exactly a new phenomenon

Leitch and Erwin both had very good games, two exciting prospects. Erwin in particular was a real a handful again. Carswell done well sitting in front of the back 4 and Kerr had another good game in his natural position. Four of our starting line up came through our youth team and all put in impressive displays.

The young boy Ferguson done well enough given it was his debut and he was played out of position, kept it simple and made a few good interceptions.

Decent enough display, well organised and showed good discipline defensively. Just lacking a bit of pace and spark on the break. Law unlucky with his effort cracking the bar and Erwin looked to have been bundled over in the box but the ref waved it away. Could do nothing about the winner, an absolute screamer from the boy.

nearly missed this amongst the drivel,

reads much like some of the messages I've had from others.

the one thing Ive not seen much from those that made it to the game, is the one that Erwin had in the net (on target) dubious or clear cut offside?

the one thing Ive not seen much from those that made it to the game, is the one that Erwin had in the net (on target) dubious or clear cut offside?

Think he probably was offside, was a very late flag though. Shame cause it was a wonderfully disguised through ball by Leitch and a great touch and finish by Erwin.

Would be more interested to see the earlier incident where after a driving run Erwin looked to have been bundled over in the box. Ref just ignored it and waved play on when it looked a blatant foul.

Would have to see both incidents again though.

Just in. Erwin looks like a player. Doubt we will be worse off if he is Anier's replacement. Thought the game was there for us the night but wasn't to be. McCall needs to sort the midfield out and it pains me to say it but Lasley is the one who needs to drop out. Leitch was the standout and we need Vigurs back to pick out the passes (Lasley's passing was abysmal!).

Also, was Ainsworth injured? Was crying out for a bit of pace and width as we broke a fair few times but Erwin had ran his race and Sutton, well, he can't run.

McCall winds me up sometimes waiting for ever to get a sub on.

Still, positives there tonight.

Also, was Ainsworth injured? Was crying out for a bit of pace and width as we broke a fair few times but Erwin had ran his race and Sutton, well, he can't run.

McCall was being a bit cagey in his post-match St. Mirren interview, but it sounded like Ainsworth was one the guys carrying a knock and who needed to be iced after the game.

Reading through the comments a lot of encouraging things here and there against a team that did spank us a few times last season. OK, they've lost a few players, so have we, however we are threadbare with a debutant 3rd choice left back playing 45 minutes for us there. A result like this in their manor is certainly an improvement from recent results and based on their game against Aberdeen, maybe not too bad?

I'm never a fan of setting up totally defensive, I think its been proven so far we don't have the personnel to close out games. Playing 2 strikers don't seem lean towards that but when it looks like we will be looking to counter attack, I have to wonder why Ainsworth wasn't started ahead of Sutton to support Erwin unless there were injury concerns. McCall does like his favourites and no doubt felt that Sutton would hold the ball for support to come up.

Other posters have said it, unfortunately too many of our experienced players with pedigree aren't performing anywhere near the kids with the hunger are.

• Haha 1

IMO Erwin was just off side but I also thought it was a penalty when he was bundled over in the box

I was happy enough with the performance. Jack, carswell, Mac, dan, Erwin all have have good games.

Sutton gets a complete and utter bashing on here and in the stands. It's a fecking joke. Top goal scorer last year and a good season. Tonight very much himself at times and yes didn't win everything in the air but was up against two tall strong centre halves. When he did win it no one was near him. What do we expect from this guy. The only thing against him is his pace but feck me he's the only main goal scorer we have. Get behind him

All in I think we did pretty well. We had enough territory in the first half and really seemed to be matching them toe to toe. Playing Carswell between the centre halves and the midfield worked well for the most part and it meant between him, Reid and Angol they were basically sticking to their three main playmakers. They swapped around a few times to try and mix it up and apart from one error by Angol we kept them quiet.

In the second half I thought we were excellent without the ball but we didn't do well enough with it. The result of this was the ball spent far too much time in our penalty area. Also Ferguson did well after a torrid first ten minutes. Perhaps the first Motherwell player to get booked on his debut before he touched the ball?

For me Erwin looks like a really exciting player. He has height, he has pace, he has touch and he has quick feet. Bit more experience and I could see him being a money spinner for us. Leitch had a dynamic game in the middle. Disagree with people about Lasley. He intercepted and tackled well and was quietly a pain in the neck. Did give the ball away cheaply a few times but to say he contributed nothing is unfair. Sutton was quiet but he was a bit isolated.

I also disagree with those saying we should have made changes earlier. I accept United had most of the ball and the territory. However how often did they get in behind our defence and force a good save out of Twardzik. Apart from a sitter they blazed over, I wouldn't say they missed a good chance. I felt that unless it was a worldy or a cock up we had a point there. When we had a corner after the changes were made they tore through us like a knife through butter, changing it earlier was just an open invitation for them to do that more and with a greater intensity.

Finally the referee was an absolute balloon. Ciftci seemed to lead with the arm on Carswell - decision advantage to United; Lasley chests the ball down - free kick to United; and to show I'm not biased Blatant handball by McManus in the box - play on. Really poor and overly fussy throughout, in saying that his fussiness slowed it down and when it was 0-0 I daresay we weren't gutted.

Much better discipline defensively than last year though. Big steps forward in that regard and all in an encouraging but slightly disappointing night.

The match stats were Utd had 6 shots on target, we had 0. They had 10 shots wide we had 1. Does anyone honestly expect us to win a game based on that?

Yes Leitch did perform well in parts of the game but far too often particularly in the 2nd half he wasn't picking anyone up or as he did in Iceland at the 3rd goal allowed his man to drift off and was left standing alone. He was far from being outstanding.

As for this crippling injury list Hammell hasn't been missed so far, Vigurs as we know is everyone's favourite on this board and how many games has Ramsden played in 2014?

It was a better performance but given how inept we have been so far that wouldn't be hard. At best we were going to get a scoreless draw but as the game went on the inevitable happened. Inverness will be interesting .

• Like 1

Shots on Target is a false stat - how many were good chances? I'd say one which they blazed over. Most were tame efforts or skied high and wide because we defended well and forced them to shoot from distance.

We hit the bar and we had a goal disallowed for a paper thin (but correct looking) offside decision.

Stats can argue any point but to argue we had no chance of winning that game is just nonsense in my opinion.

I could (and did last night) watch Erwin glide past people all game. I realise its entirely clichéd to say he's got 'good feet for a big man' or whatever, but some of his touches were top class. The one he killed and ran off with in the first half which had snow on it was something else. Leitch as well has fantastic close control, great prospect.

Disappointed not to take a point, but given how the squad is fitness wise just now, I thought last night was very promising. We've finally found a way of coping with united. Kerr again showing the potential to be an important player for us.

Further credit to Erwin for throwing their left back into the corner. Wonderful.