Dundee Utd V Motherwell 13/08/14

Yabba's Turd

Due to recent success and quality on the pitch tbh. There crowds are increasing.... Ours are decreasing.

Aye our success and quality has been as good as ever last few seasons and fans drift away....

The success and quality will be joining it sooner or later.

• Like 1

United have had a crop of really promising youngsters playing very entertaining football over the last few seasons and on there day can beat anyone so I can see why they are getting bigger crowds.

We have had a pretty entertaining team that has consistency wise out performed the rest of the league for 3 seasons on the trot. But the entertainment of a matchday just doesn't match up to the price you have to pay to watch it and thats why there was less than 4000 mwell fans at the first game of the season

If the issue isnt addressed I only see them dwindling more and more until the clubs stability is compromised. Was there much outside season ticket holders at the game saturday...I doubt it

The debate on why (our) crowds go up and down has been done to death. If our crowds aren't going to go up after the past 5/6 years of sustained league success, record points hauls and the return of the most popular player in 20 years then they never will.

Utd and Aberdeen are in different positions than ourselves. They have larger catchment areas and are much further away than Glasgow so the sectarian tentacles are unable to draw in as many as they can in Lanarkshire.

What's worse though? Fans that only turn up when their team is doing well? (Utd and Aberdeen) or fans that don't turn up even when the team is doing well? (Us)

This debate if it has to be had again is for another thread anyway.

Was there much outside season ticket holders at the game saturday...I doubt it

I'm not a season ticket holder and i was there on Saturday and was surprised by the crowd being so low for a home game on frist day of the season.......

I put that down to end of holidays and the fact we were playing St Midden that may have kept away some of the game and that it costs best part of £30 to attend a game (Admission / Programme / Pie and Drink) if you add a couple of kids to that its a fair amount of cash for people to spend on a "Day out" against a bottom 6 SPL team

You cannot under estimate the success of cups and playing young homegrown hungry talent.

To me crowds rise and fall with cup success and Utd have had more of that than us. This generates excitement. We finished 2nd last year but other than the Dons game there actually wasn't that much excitement or IMO freshness. We were grinding out results against the bottom 6.

Wasn't exactly enjoyable to watch. Lay fans would have drifted and we don't exactly promote ourselves overly well. Utd have made £6m in fees, reached a cup final, signed decent prospects and play attacking football.

Fans will go back.

Exactly. We've been far more successful than Utd in recent seasons, yet crowds have been disappointing . I suppose a few exciting young players helps explain it in part, but don't know what else we can do

Have we?

United have been to 4 cup finals in the last 8/9 years and several more quarter/semi-finals and have consistently performed reasonably well in the league on top of that.

I'll be honest; I'd take United's 'less' successful period over our own 2nd/3rd place finishes of late any day of the week. If we'd won the cup in 2011 or won something with the Higdon/Law/Ojamma team of a few seasons ago I reckon we'd have bigger crowds now.

Add in your last point to my points above regarding the young players and a decent argument for why they have better crowds is complete.

Success in the league is all well and good but if we can't follow that up by learning lessons of how to play in europe and kill off cup ties, I'm afraid without us winning a trophy soon, we'll see the crowds decrease more and more.

As an aside, I don't have a season ticket (can't afford it, nor am I able to make every game to justify it); I've been to 3 games (Fulham, Stjarnan and St Mirren) so far this season and spent over £50 just to get into the stadium (£10, £25, £19). Pricey.

There are about 700,000 people live in North and South Lanarkshire and within that boundary there are four professional teams which if you added up the average attendances of you'd have something like 7,000 supporters.

Clearly there is just an apathy and lack of interest in local football.

You cannot under estimate the success of cups and playing young homegrown hungry talent.

I think we probably have lost fans because of our wretched cup performances and European matches but I'm not sure if cup success would actually increase our fan base.

Have Kilmarnock or St. Mirren seen an increase in support? Did we after our cup win?

I'm afraid there is just a general decline in Scottish football and until we have better players, more money and real competition that decline isn't going to be halted.

People aren't stupid. They know they are watching poorer and poorer fare at higher and higher prices.

The only answer as far as I can see is all league income being pooled and evenly distributed and the chances of that happening are probably zero.

Sutton gets a complete and utter bashing on here and in the stands. It's a fecking joke. Top goal scorer last year and a good season. Tonight very much himself at times and yes didn't win everything in the air but was up against two tall strong centre halves. When he did win it no one was near him. What do we expect from this guy. The only thing against him is his pace but feck me he's the only main goal scorer we have. Get behind him

Absolutely spot on mate. Like Higdon before him, he is at his best when he is in the penalty box. And as you say he was our top scorer last season which played a large part in our second place finish last season. Jeez only two league games gone and some folk are getting the hammer and nails out already.facepalm.gif

Absolutely spot on mate. Like Higdon before him, he is at his best when he is in the penalty box. And as you say he was our top scorer last season which played a large part in our second place finish last season. Jeez only two league games gone and some folk are getting the hammer and nails out already.facepalm.gif

Worth noting that Player of the Season Kris Commons scored 26 league goals from 104 goal attempts last season of which 5 were penalties. Sutton scored his 22 league goals from 66 goal attempts of which 1 goal was a penalty.

I'm guessing Sutton had the best goals to chances ratio of any significant goal scorer in the league last season, as he also had a much better record than guys like Billy Mackay, Stevie May, Niall McGinn, Kris Boyd etc.

He's also on course to beat Stevie Kirk's 63 league goal total. The highest player goal total in the top league since the beginning of the Premier League era.

Erwin deserves a chance but he needs to play with experienced players, not replace them.