Motherwell V Inverness Ct 16/08/14

Yabba's Turd

Got to agree with most of your post but singling out young Ferguson is a bit out of order. Considering that he'd been put into the team because of injury rather than outstanding displays in the reserves, I thought he handled things well.

Yep, I thought he was fairly solid at the back. Certainly in the first half he was excellent at stopping crosses coming in from the last and he put in an absolute winner of a last ditch tackle to stop a certain goal. I thought he was left exposed in the second half far to many times, not his fault. Only criticism would be a slight lack of composure when it came to distribution, but I'd put that down to nerves and inexperience.

No getting away from it, that was fucking woeful today.

Twardzik, Kerr and McManus are about the only three that would get pass marks for me. The rest for various reasons either struggled or were just plain shite. The difference between when we had the ball and ICT did was night and day. Every time they had the ball one of their players would move to create space and make an angle for each other which made for a decent passing game. Whenever we had the ball there was nothing. No pace, no movement, just statues that forced us into our usual routine of clipping pointless wee chipped balls forward towards Sutton who was surrounded. Why was he surrounded? Because Lee Erwin, who's put in two cracking displays up front so far this season, was punted out of position onto the fucking wing. Explain that one to me? Baffling. Also, when it was obvious we were struggling to retain possession, why was our best footballing central midfield option on the bench? Leitch had a great game in midweek and is much better on the ball than either Carswell and Lasley but when we were struggling to string two passes together today he sat on the bench scratching his arse. Apart from when he was brought in with a massive 6 minutes to go, unbelievable. Right sub, far too late.

So it was no wonder we were forced into going long when our two central midfielders struggled to make a decent forward pass between them all game. We also had fuck all width. Ainsworth wasn't interested, Erwin isn't a winger, Vigurs wasn't fit and fuck knows where Law was supposed to be playing, he was just floating about in anonymity. Ferguson has taken some stick but I thought he was hung out to dry. Out of position on his full debut I though he done as well as could be expected defensively. Sadly the boy had no left foot and the amount of times he had the ball at his feet and nobody was looking to help the poor lad out was shocking. It was the same for Reid who actually lost the ball at one point because when he looked up there was not a single pass on and he was surrounded by ICT players who pinched it off him.

Kerr had another good game and actually strode out of defence with the ball a few times and was unlucky not to get a free kick when he was brought down on the edge of the box after a marauding run forward. Erwin showed glimpses of his ability but he was wasted out wide. Sutton and Lasley both continued their worryingly poor starts to the season, even McCall has been reduced to bringing them off. Ojamaa just didn't look sharp, no surprise given his lack of game time and a decent pre-season.

The Inverness defence strolled through the game as did the two boys sitting in front of the back four. Don't think the keeper will even require a shower after that one. I thought after Wednesday there were plenty of positives to take but there's little to take from today. The only comfort I can take is that we've got the same amount of points now as we did after 3 games last season and surely things can only get better...

Any chance of a concise report ?

I really fear for Lasley this season I hope he is just having a slow start but don't think he looks the same player but it's still too early to write him off as he has pulled us through games in the past.

Lasley was very poor against Stjarnan and mediocre in the two league matches but I don't think he's been the worse offender.

Josh Law has been dire since he got those two early goals against Stjarnan and far and away our worst two players so far this season have been Lionel Ainsworth and John Sutton.

Despite our success last season we had an unbalanced squad and we've done little to address it during the summer.

Lasley and Carswell aren't good enough on the ball to play a 442. Ainsworth and Vigurs don't do any tracking back to support a 442. Our top scorer can only play in a 442.

When did we last have a genuine left sided midfielder? Wasn't there today but baffled by the reports than am 18 year old got no protection or support playing put of position.

Sadly neither is the sub 4,000 home fans. I fear we could see less than 2,000 home fans turning up if these performances continue.

Performances on the pitch usually don't have that much bearing on our crowds.If we were pumping teams 5-0 every week and top of the table in March we'd still be struggling to get 7000, if we're near the bottom come the last few games we'll be getting 7000-8000.The 3500 season ticket holders will be there nearly every game anyway so I can't see our crowds dropping below that.

Despite our success last season we had an unbalanced squad and we've done little to address it during the summer.

Lasley and Carswell aren't good enough on the ball to play a 442. Ainsworth and Vigurs don't do any tracking back to support a 442. Our top scorer can only play in a 442.

Wasn't there today but baffled by the reports than am 18 year old got no protection or support playing put of position.

First of all I agree with almost all of the comments about an unfit team unable to compete, shapeless formation, players playing out of position etc etc. Its also worth commenting on young David Ferguson. He did his best and was very much out of position but was totally out of his depth and looked s***t scared. Yes, he received no protection. Not the lad's fault and he was hung out to dry. He should not have been put in that position.

Probably our worst performance in years. It was so bad that it took us until the 10th minute before we could reach 30 metres of the ICT goal! It has to be put in context though - we are carrying a lot of injuries and missing players. Thats bound to have an influence on performances and results. No need to panic just yet though. Ojamaa and O'Brien should hopefully help to bolster our ranks.

Two things however stood out for me and should give us cause for concern. Why do we not have an under 20 left back who can fill in, in an emergency? By comparison, we are well off for right backs (Ramsden, Kerr, Reid and Law). Secondly our centre midfield is of longer term concern. It is slow, uncreative and lacks aggression. In short it isn't fit for purpose. Our strikeforce, such as it was, was not supported today and our defence not shielded. It was the same in the opening 2 games. I would argue that Keith Lasley, our captain, is now struggling badly at this level and has lost a bit of pace since last season. He was awarded a 2 year contract in the summer. Stuart Carsewell, in my view simply isn't up to it and won't make the grade at SPFL level. Not a good position to be in. Given our budget is limited maybe its time to try out Leitch and Reid in the engine room once injuries permit. Maybe not the best solution but the best in the circumstances. Business as usual simply won't do.

I would argue that Keith Lasley, our captain, is now struggling badly at this level and has lost a bit of pace since last season. He was awarded a 2 year contract in the summer. Stuart Carsewell, in my view simply isn't up to it and won't make the grade at SPFL level.

I think it's nonsense to say our player of the year last season isn't good enough after watching him 3 times this season.

Lasley's performances have been poor but they have to be put into a team context and the facts are the entire team haven't performed in 5 out of 6 halves of football.

Our defence is out of sorts with the injury situation, we are missing experienced players like Ramsden and Hammell, the one player in the squad with a bit of vision, Vigurs, has also been missing, we don't have a wide left player at all and Ainsworth hasn't kicked a ball.

We need to get our strongest XI out as soon as possible in our favoured 4-4-2 formation and after half a dozen games then we can make judgement calls but now is far too early to be writing players off, no matter how they have performed up till now.

I think it's nonsense to say our player of the year last season isn't good enough after watching him 3 times this season.

Lasley's performances have been poor but they have to be put into a team context and the facts are the entire team haven't performed in 5 out of 6 halves of football.

Our defence is out of sorts with the injury situation, we are missing experienced players like Ramsden and Hammell, the one player in the squad with a bit of vision, Vigurs, has also been missing, we don't have a wide left player at all and Ainsworth hasn't kicked a ball.

We need to get our strongest XI out as soon as possible in our favoured 4-4-2 formation and after half a dozen games then we can make judgement calls but now is far too early to be writing players off, no matter how they have performed up till now.

Exactly. Far too many people on here seem to think over 30 + dip in form = hang up yer boots.

Stuart Carsewell, in my view simply isn't up to it and won't make the grade at SPFL level. Not a good position to be in. Given our budget is limited maybe its time to try out Leitch and Reid in the engine room once injuries permit.

Since the SPFL has 4 divisions, are you trying to suggest he isn't good enough to play in League Two? I'm assuming you were joking since you then suggested putting Reid in there ahead of both Lasley and Carswell.

Bit early as well surely for people to start with all the bottom six and terrible season ahead stuff as well. Last season started with a 1-0 win v Hibs, 3-1 defeat v Aberdeen and 2-0 defeat v Inverness so points wise it's the same and those performances were probably as bad as this season's.

Don't know why but SMc interview after the game has severely pissed me off !!!!

He talks about the poor possession and performance etc but doesn't once mention the ridiculous shape, formation, shape and team selection. That of which is his bloody fault.

Take the plaudits when we are doing well but you need to take the blame when we are fecking rotten!!!

I wasn't there but if you are throwing in a kid, surely you play them in their natural position and get the more experienced guy (i.e. Reid) to try and play out of position. Like he did at Paisley in September last year by playing Hammell right back and letting Angol play left back.

Also to say Carswell isn't up to it is just nonsense. Like others maybe hasn't got going yet this season, from what I have seen and heard he is not alone.

I just hope one other team in this league is worse than us.

If not, we've got serious problems.

Injuries aside, the same mistakes are being made time and time again and we never seem to learn anything.

Unfit, unbalanced and tactically unaware, has the hallmarks of a grim season.

Finding it hard to sugar coat anything that's happening on or off the park. Worrying times!

Don't know why but SMc interview after the game has severely pissed me off !!!!

He talks about the poor possession and performance etc but doesn't once mention the ridiculous shape, formation, shape and team selection. That of which is his bloody fault.

Take the plaudits when we are doing well but you need to take the blame when we are fecking rotten!!!

The portion of the interview I heard he clearly stated he was the manager and the responsibility was his for the result and performance. When asked about the crowd's reaction, said he would have booed himself.

To be fair I thought he struck the right note throughout the part of the piece I heard.

The portion of the interview I heard he clearly stated he was the manager and the responsibility was his for the result and performance. When asked about the crowd's reaction, said he would have booed himself.

To be fair I thought he struck the right note throughout the part of the piece I heard.

I will need to listen to the full interview then as I didn't hear this section. That's fair enough. My apologies for over zealousness.

Dreadful performance and agree it's one of the worst under McCall. Couple of points:

- The young lad Ferguson was so far out of his depth at left back, which I appreciate is not his position. Should we not have been better playing a more seasoned pro out of position rather than a young lad with no first team experience?

- John Sutton contributed absolutely nothing to the match. He received little to no service, however he doesn't even challenge when the ball is in the air. I would be delighted to see McCall drop him for Killie away and go with Erwin & Ojamma up top. As Melvin Bragg said at the match today, Erwin & Ojamma linked up more in 60secs than Erwin/Sutton did all match.

- Disappointed to see Leitch drop out of the starting XI. From the reports he was the best 'Well player at Tannadice. Are Carswell/Lasley really that good to be automatic starters?

- Fraser Kerr was the best it got in C&A yesterday. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that but looks like he is capable at performing at this level in his natural position.

- We applauded mediocre football on numerous occasions yesterday. One point in the 2nd half, Craig Reid was bombing forward chasing a ball he has absolutely zero chance of winning. Surely we are wise enough to realise that is stupid to be doing so and not applauding this lad for effort? Reid hasn't had the best start to the season and on a few occasions yesterday looked very much the type of player that wouldn't make it at Morton. Still plenty around him that are just as bad, namely Mr Law, who isn't even 10% the player his brother is!

We do have a few players to return from injury but I fear that the only changes he is going to make at taking Fraser Kerr and Lee Erwin out the team, which would be a joke!

Tough season ahead. Don't think for a second we will be going down, however a mid table finish at best.

• Like 1

Dreadful performance and agree it's one of the worst under McCall. Couple of points:

- The young lad Ferguson was so far out of his depth at left back, which I appreciate is not his position. Should we not have been better playing a more seasoned pro out of position rather than a young lad with no first team experience?

- John Sutton contributed absolutely nothing to the match. He received little to no service, however he doesn't even challenge when the ball is in the air. I would be delighted to see McCall drop him for Killie away and go with Erwin & Ojamma up top. As Melvin Bragg said at the match today, Erwin & Ojamma linked up more in 60secs than Erwin/Sutton did all match.

- Disappointed to see Leitch drop out of the starting XI. From the reports he was the best 'Well player at Tannadice. Are Carswell/Lasley really that good to be automatic starters?

- Fraser Kerr was the best it got in C&A yesterday. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that but looks like he is capable at performing at this level in his natural position.

- We applauded mediocre football on numerous occasions yesterday. One point in the 2nd half, Craig Reid was bombing forward chasing a ball he has absolutely zero chance of winning. Surely we are wise enough to realise that is stupid to be doing so and not applauding this lad for effort? Reid hasn't had the best start to the season and on a few occasions yesterday looked very much the type of player that wouldn't make it at Morton. Still plenty around him that are just as bad, namely Mr Law, who isn't even 10% the player his brother is!

We do have a few players to return from injury but I fear that the only changes he is going to make at taking Fraser Kerr and Lee Erwin out the team, which would be a joke!

Tough season ahead. Don't think for a second we will be going down, however a mid table finish at best.

Good post mate, Kerr, Leitch ,Erwin and Ojamma should all start against Killie .The situation with the young lad Ferguson is a farce but not surprising.

Since the SPFL has 4 divisions, are you trying to suggest he isn't good enough to play in League Two? I'm assuming you were joking since you then suggested putting Reid in there ahead of both Lasley and Carswell.

I stand corrected I meant the Premiership. As to your second point, no I wasn't joking - not my style of humour. Reid has done a good job when played there before and I thought Jack Leitch did well enough on Wednesday to retain his place in the starting line up. Reid certainly has much needed pace.