Motherwell V Inverness Ct 16/08/14

Yabba's Turd

Dreadful performance and agree it's one of the worst under McCall. Couple of points:

- The young lad Ferguson was so far out of his depth at left back, which I appreciate is not his position. Should we not have been better playing a more seasoned pro out of position rather than a young lad with no first team experience?

- John Sutton contributed absolutely nothing to the match. He received little to no service, however he doesn't even challenge when the ball is in the air. I would be delighted to see McCall drop him for Killie away and go with Erwin & Ojamma up top. As Melvin Bragg said at the match today, Erwin & Ojamma linked up more in 60secs than Erwin/Sutton did all match.

- Disappointed to see Leitch drop out of the starting XI. From the reports he was the best 'Well player at Tannadice. Are Carswell/Lasley really that good to be automatic starters?

- Fraser Kerr was the best it got in C&A yesterday. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that but looks like he is capable at performing at this level in his natural position.

- We applauded mediocre football on numerous occasions yesterday. One point in the 2nd half, Craig Reid was bombing forward chasing a ball he has absolutely zero chance of winning. Surely we are wise enough to realise that is stupid to be doing so and not applauding this lad for effort? Reid hasn't had the best start to the season and on a few occasions yesterday looked very much the type of player that wouldn't make it at Morton. Still plenty around him that are just as bad, namely Mr Law, who isn't even 10% the player his brother is!

We do have a few players to return from injury but I fear that the only changes he is going to make at taking Fraser Kerr and Lee Erwin out the team, which would be a joke!

Tough season ahead. Don't think for a second we will be going down, however a mid table finish at best.

Absolutely spot on with every word mate.

Erwin and Kerr must be given a run in the team in their natural positions but you just know what will happen

Absolutely spot on with every word mate.

Erwin and Kerr must be given a run in the team in their natural positions but you just know what will happen

I have a feeling O'Brien & Ojamma will replace them both for Saturday. Is O'Brien not also able to play right back? Sutton's lack of any pace is killing us when going with one up top!

Sutton's lack of any pace is killing us when going with one up top!

It always has Mitch. He is a penalty box player nothing more nothing less. John McGlynn at Tynecastle never learnt that lesson and it seems Stuart McCall doesn't recognise it either. Sutton is a decent striker but has to be given service and for him to play successfully in a lone role he would need midfielders in the mould of Chris Humphrey, Nicky Law, Phil O'Donnell or Gavin Rae to feed him. If we must play one striker up front then Sutton isn't our man to do it.

Poor performance but let's not press the panic button just yet.

Pleased to hear big Kerr is looking more like himself in his natural position.

Sorry young Ferguson has had such a torrid time, only remember seeing him play left back for 20's once or twice. That said didn't get to many games last season and when I did Leitch was playing there most times, if memory serves.

Can't think of another natural lb in the youths who could fill in.

Erwin will flourish if given time but I, like others, fear SM will playing Henrik instead of him.

If we keep that up and that's exactly where we'll be next season! That's how fucking bad we look.

It's not the first time McCall has played a completely unbalanced team with no success, you like to think he might have learned by now.

We're probably the most incoherent shambolic team in the league right now.

You're right , was probably as incoherent and shambolic as the Home games against Celtic and Dundee Utd last year , when we got tanked 4 and 5 nil.And as you know we were nearly relegated last year too..........One year it will happen tho

Poor performance but let's not press the panic button just yet.

Pleased to hear big Kerr is looking more like himself in his natural position.

Sorry young Ferguson has had such a torrid time, only remember seeing him play left back for 20's once or twice. That said didn't get to many games last season and when I did Leitch was playing there most times, if memory serves.

Can't think of another natural lb in the youths who could fill in.

Erwin will flourish if given time but I, like others, fear SM will playing Henrik instead of him.

Ferguson didn't have a nightmare to be fair, was just shown up to what he is, a young boy playing out of position

We need 2 teams to be worse than us this season.

Don't fancy a 2 legged play off to stay up!!

Far too early to be thinking about that prospect, however, we are a team that looks disjointed with no pace and very little threat up front. Whilst the addition of Ojamma is a welcome one, he doesn't have the same players around him that he had when he left. At the moment we are playing like a bottom six side and we will need to witness a massive improvement if this is to change.

Reid isn't a top flight player, and to be honest, shouldn't be starting. As backup, aye fine, but when Ramsden is back then he needs to go straight back in.

He will do, but I could guarantee it'll be for Fraser Kerr, which I think would be a poor decision.

Felt really sorry for Ferguson yesterday. Looked terrified, shouldn't have been played out of position over Reid doing so, and just played ever more inside himself as the game went on. Really quite pissed off at McCall for leaving him on like that. Totally confidence shattering for him. Playing Erwin in front of him does no-one any good either.

Sutton received no service, but on the rare occasions he received the ball, he did nothing bar cede possession.

Lasley trying to cover every blade of grass and chase up is admirable, but it leaves a gaping chasm in the middle of the park when he charges off, and no-one covers.

Ainsworth looks extremely poor at the moment as well.

And that first half is definitely one of the poorer performances I've seen at Fir Park. Dismal.

• Like 1

Thought I'd leave my comments until today when I had calmed down a wee bit.

I haven't seen any pre-season matches, our European fuck-up or our 1st 2 matches in the league. Partly to do with apathy and partly to do with having other stuff to spend my time and money on. I haven't renewed my season tickets as of yet either...

Yesterday, was the worst display from a Motherwell team that I can remember since the Malpish season....utterly, shambolic.

In my opinion, we are in a real bad way on the pitch.....only 3 players are exempt from criticism from yesterday; McManus, Ferguson and Erwin. McManus was like a 1-man defence at times yesterday, Erwin at least looked hungry and Ferguson purely because he was hung out to dry by his Manager.

We have found ourselves in the position again this season where you couldn't merge our two goalkeepers together and create 1 competent one. A midget keeper who has no regard for coming for cross balls will never do...it creates uncertainty in the defence and causes us to defend far too deep.

Our defence looked unbelievably frail...the sooner Ramsden goes back in beside Mick the better, Kerr seems to be getting lots of plaudits from some for his performance yesterday but I never thought he looked comfortable at any point with the ball at his feet. In saying that, I'd have him at right back before Reid, who looked like a 1st Division player yesterday.

Fuck only knows what was going on in midfield....Carswell and Lasley do not have 1 creative bone in their collective bodies, one or the other, not both at the same time. Lasley is showing his age and again the question of why a 2 year deal was given must be asked? Ainsworth, looked totally uninterested and Law looked like he won't be able to cut the mustard at our level.

Sutton, is nothing short of useless, unless the ball is in the 18 yard box....slow as shite, cannae jump and lands on his arse anytime the ball comes close to him.

Our tactics were utterly baffling....we looked like the away team, as ICT controlled the game at a canter. Why we put a young, right-footed full back at left-back on his league debut is a bloody mystery to me, but then to go and offer him no protection in the form of a competent left-midfielder is beyond belief...it's little wonder that the kid looked highly uncomfortable and endured a bit of a torrid baptism as Erwin, Sutton and Law took it in turns to pretend to be left-midfielders.

On that showing yesterday, we can forget top6.

Only just 5 shots on target in 3 league games, 2 of which at home. carswell and lasley in midfield together just don't create enough and we need to play with one or the other... not both. Twardzik cant be blamed for any of the goals we have conceded and for me, defense doesn't seem to be the main issue. Yesterday we struggled to string together more than a few passes... and whenever we did it was only in our own half. John Sutton isn't as good a footballer as higdon, he cant win the ball or link the play as well as higgy so the long ball to him was totally ineffective and there was times we could have got it on the deck and try make something but opted for the punt up the pitch instead. but hopefully with henrik back he can provide him with some chances because the one thing Sutton can do is score goals whenever he does get provided.

It's early days, we have some key players injured or just coming back.. and I remember there was a point where we all felt this deflated last season... and that didn't turn out so bad in the end.

Just a bad day at the office, lets look to Killie next week for 3 points!

I'm not one for slating the club on the back of 1 win out of 3 in the league however clubs who don't get off to a good start in this league traditionally end up struggling against the collar for the rest of the season.

Personally I think our problems lie more off the park than on it and they have been well enough documented on this site on numerous occasions. We've had one of the most successful periods in the league in our history however two things that have failed to follow this, are no increases in attendances and no increases in the budget available to the manager. Indeed in both cases the perhaps the opposite has been true. Ultimately both of these have lead to a lack of investment in the playing side of the club which is now beginning to show through as the manager is finding it harder and harder to maintain the standards previously set.

If Carswell and Lasley are to blame for our dearth of creativity and goals then perhaps the critics need to ask themselves how we managed to score so many goals last season.

The creative players in our squad are Ainsworth, Vigurs and Ojamaa. Vigurs didn't start and has been injured. Ainsworth has been terribly off form and Ojamaa didn't start and isn't match fit.

How the above facts can be laid at Carswell and Lasley's door I'm not sure. I also said at the start of the season that we'd miss McFadden and I think that's proven to be the case so far.

Our creative players aren't there right now and that's why we aren't creating, blaming other players is a nothing but a deflection.

From BBC Sport Quote

Stuart McCall demands Motherwell improvement

"Basic stuff we couldn't do," sighed McCall. "We couldn't pass from A to B. "

Well Stuart if you start playing players in their natural position maybe they will start to get the basics right

As soon as I saw the team sheet yesterday Sutton and Erwin starting....... I feared the worse.........

Then to compound it with Ainsworth playing right midfield role :dash2: .l.........when his greatest asset is his speed

It was clear after a few minutes this formation was not working with Caley dominating the midfield.

It was crying out for a midfield player to come on at the expense of one of the centre forwards...........

But we get Ojamaa (unfit) on and Erwin playing right midfield :help: WHY ???? when we had FOUR midfield players on the bench

In all my time watching Motherwell I can not recall a game where we did not have a single shot on target...........:doh:

From BBC Sport Quote

Well Stuart if you start playing players in their natural position maybe they will start to get the basics right

As soon as I saw the team sheet yesterday Sutton and Erwin starting....... I feared the worse.........

Then to compound it with Ainsworth playing right midfield role :dash2: .l.........when his greatest asset is his speed

It was clear after a few minutes this formation was not working with Caley dominating the midfield.

It was crying out for a midfield player to come on at the expense of one of the centre forwards...........

But we get Ojamaa (unfit) on and Erwin playing right midfield :help: WHY ???? when we had FOUR midfield players on the bench

In all my time watching Motherwell I can not recall a game where we did not have a single shot on target...........:doh:

We had 1 on target, Ainsworths effort in the 1st half that was cleared on the line..but that was it, Feckin awful.

From BBC Sport Quote

? We didnae start with two centre forwards -Sutton was through the middle with Ainsworth and Erwin in the wide areas, Carswell, Las & Law in the centre of midfield. This was the same formation that was used against Utd with a couple changes I.e law inside for Leitch allowing Ainsworth in the wide area.

? We didnae start with two centre forwards -Sutton was through the middle with Ainsworth and Erwin in the wide areas, Carswell, Las & Law in the centre of midfield. This was the same formation that was used against Utd with a couple changes I.e law inside for Leitch allowing Ainsworth in the wide area.

We did start with two "centre forwards".......Ainsworth was constantly in the right midfield....so we had three forwards on from the start.........against United we had two (centre)forwards on from the start with four midfielders........

Did you think this team selection worked yesterday mate ???????

the set up of our team looks all wrong at the minute,there is nothing coming from the wider areas meaning sutton is pretty much anonymous and all it takes is one pass and our entire midfield is took out the game and our defence are on there todd to try and deal with it.we look a bit of a soft touch right now i think we should go with lawson at defensive midfield to offer some kind of support to our centre backs and he would be a better option to receive the ball if we want to keep using short goal kick routine.

I'm not one for slating the club on the back of 1 win out of 3 in the league however clubs who don't get off to a good start in this league traditionally end up struggling against the collar for the rest of the season.

This is true, momentum in this league is everything. However, we won one out of three at the start of last season too.