Motherwell V Inverness Ct 16/08/14

Yabba's Turd

Just a wee thought that occurred to me about Ferguson. I agree with everybody that he was out his depth at left back but who was the last player we had making his debut out of position at left back and looking totally lost.

Uncle Phil

Not for a minute am I suggesting Ferguson will go on and be the player O'Donnell was (different position) for a start but how many of us could have seen how that turned out after Phil's debut

I was thinking about the exact same game just before reading your post, Bart.

Against St Mirren, I remember Kenny McDowall knocking him all over the place. Younger fans just think of Jim Goodwin. If Ferguson is even 1/2 as good as Phil he'll do all right. I don't think he's ready fir first time just yet after Saturday.

You can't blame McCall for playing Ferguson. It's obvious that he only played him because there was no real choice but what you can blame him for is from deviating from our normal tactical set up and putting out a formation where we played a narrow three in midfield and left a huge wide open space in from of a young player making his debut in an unfamiliar position on his wrong foot; and what protection he did get was from another young player, making only his 3rd league start, again in an unfamiliar position of wide left attacker.

To compound that even further the central midfielder furtherest left, was Josh Law, another player out of position! And Law was, in my opinion, the worst performer out of the midfield 3.

If we had played our normal 4-4-2 at least Lasley and Carswell are both used to that set up and playing in those areas of the pitch, something Josh Law clearly wasn't. And even if Law had had to play at left midfield due to no one else being available, at least he would have given Ferguson a bit more protection.

We played as follows

.........................Twardzik........................

Reid...........Kerr..................McManus.......Ferguson

........................Carswell...........................

...............Lasley...............Law....................

Ainsworth.............................................Erwin

.........................Sutton.........................

You can see the gaps down the side above but, believe me, it was much more apparent on a 100 yard football pitch. Ferguson often had about 40/50 yards of wide open space in front of him. No wonder he was clearly shiteing himself!

Agree. Falls squarely on McCall as to how we set up and what the game plan is.