Motherwell V St Johnstone 30/08/14

Yabba's Turd

A league match or not, someone at the club has to come out in the build up to what could be a potentially big match, in shaping how we move forward, and inject a bit of impetuous, desire and drive into the support and everyone around the club.

I won't hold my breath...

thats good to know - because you would be waiting a while

Surely I cannot be the only one who feels that we need a change of tact in the build up to this one?

We have suffered a hum of monotonous "We have to work hard on the training pitch" etc. since pre-season, "Europe" and have meandered into the season to find ourselves taking 3 points from 12.

A league match or not, someone at the club has to come out in the build up to what could be a potentially big match, in shaping how we move forward, and inject a bit of impetuous, desire and drive into the support and everyone around the club.

I won't hold my breath...

I do agree - can't see it happening though

The way you inject enthusiasm into the fans is by playing better and winning.

Is it?

We finished twice and yet the crowds decrease and the remaining support are in a malaise.

We need to give people something that they can believe in a bit. That might sound a bit grandiose but take even Dundee UTD. They have played a bunch of boys in a typically non-SPL type style and the crowds increase. They also talk themselves up, create a bit of a stir - sometimes p*ssing others off in the process - and their crowds go up.

Think about Mourinho and how he works, he creates a stir which can galvanize people as they all feel they are standing behind a cause.

It gets people going...

We do none of these things.

Agreed. Winning certainly isn't sufficient to do the trick. Our qualification for Europe against ICT a few months back is as low key as I've seen Fir Park.

Young kids playing good football with the potential to secure the financial future of the club is required with a mentality, that on our day, we can beat absolutely anyone.

We had a manager who took that approach with the media, and he was dismissed as a nut job. He'd make a point about referees and nobody would take any notice, Tony Mowbray made the same point and the press were all over it.... We don't get enough coverage to have a campaign like that.

As for needing young players playing good football...it's not quite as easy as just putting youngsters on a park and saying "play nice football". Our fans don't have the patience to deal with the mistakes for a start. A significant number are straight on the back of players no matter how well they have played or otherwise at any sign of an error.

We have Twardzik, Kerr, Francis-Angol, Ferguson, Leitch, Carswell, Erwin all around the squad and starting eleven and every single one of them has been singled out for abuse online and at the game at some point already this season.

If we want to blood youth, then we have to accept that the performances might not be the best for a period. One of the best seasons was arguably the season we avoided relegation due to Falkirk's stadium issues. We had a team of young players who were given time by the fans and they may have finished bottom - but they were much better for the experience the following seasons.

• Like 3

We need to give people something that they can believe in a bit. That might sound a bit grandiose but take even Dundee UTD. They have played a bunch of boys in a typically non-SPL type style and the crowds increase. They also talk themselves up, create a bit of a stir - sometimes p*ssing others off in the process - and their crowds go up.

Think about Mourinho and how he works, he creates a stir which can galvanize people as they all feel they are standing behind a cause.

It gets people going...

We do none of these things.

You still need to win games.

People still talk about the Hibs 6 - 6 draw; not because of Craig Brown.

Not at all confident so predicting an away win and me getting into another stramash with someone who spends the whole game slating players and getting ripped into individuals.

Sounds like a boy who sits in the same section as me in the east stand, talks complete bull every game, my personal favourite being "c'mon tae fuck ye don't need the ball to score"

I think we need to score the first goal on Saturday then we have a chance, however if we lose the first goal then it could be sore one. The team is low on confidence at the moment from what i seen at Killie so scoring first on Saturday would give everyone a lift and hopefully go on to win the game. I agree with previous posts that this is massive for us this week, dont think id go as far as saying its Must-Win however we do need something from the game. After the break we are up at dingwall, where we have never been great and then away to celtic so if we dont take anything this week then its possible we could be sitting bottom of the pile after 7 games. However i support Motherwelll and strange things happen when you least expect them .

Motherwell have not lost 4 games in a row for quite some time. A defeat would signal a mini crisis which although explained in part by missing 1st team players, is still not acceptable given that the stand-ins should be good enough to create some sort of competitive performance. A score draw is within the team, they just need to come out the traps at full pelt and give saints a shock. Ojamma, Law and Ainsworth are all in the team FFS. That's enough pace to trouble most SPFL sides.