Partick Thistle V Motherwell 04/10/14

Yabba's Turd

The problem we have is we seem to play too many players out of position, I don't actually know what position Law is meant to be. Vigurs playing on the right then big Erwin playing on left wing.

I really can't see how we can get out of this at the moment as we are unable to create much.

Losing 7 goals against Hamilton and Thistle has to set alarm bells ringing.I don't want McClure out but maybe dropping the likes of Law and maybe give Lasley a wee spell on bench would help

Vigurs was brought in to play on the left after Higginbotham was ditched.

Fed up with the argument over Vigurs having excellent technical ability. In his 15 months at the club he has demonstrated that for all the ability he has, he can't produce on a regular basis.

In his defence McCall has failed to build a team around the strengths of our playmaker but he hasn't done enough to prove himself and there have been some effortless performances along the way.

I'd agree with you that he isn't a left winger, though it's McCall's fault for persisting with a 4-4-2 when it obviously doesn't suit our personnel.

I'd agree with you that he isn't a left winger, though it's McCall's fault for persisting with a 4-4-2 when it obviously doesn't suit our personnel.

Think the failing of the last 2 summers has been signing key players that don't peak in the same system. Vigurs is more of a 451 or 433 (with mobile fullbacks) man while Sutton is 442 all day long.

Think the failing of the last 2 summers has been signing key players that don't peak in the same system. Vigurs is more of a 451 or 433 (with mobile fullbacks) man while Sutton is 442 all day long.

Aye, it seems the only way to accommodate both would be a 532/352 but with our shaky defence(especially at fullback) that seems unwise.

Another shocking performance lacking energy, imagination, creativity or anything else that a football team should show. We had 11 players out there today who didn't want the ball and we are in serious trouble if that's the case. Actually I'll exempt Ojamaa and the goalkeeper, so that's 9 players that didn't want the ball.

Vigurs cost of the 1st goal but he shouldn't even have been in that position in the first place. Why did we have Vigurs playing right midfield and Law playing left midfield? Can someone explain that one to me? It's as if McCall wants to make it harder than it actually should be? And if Ainsworth was fit why wasn't he on the right and Vigurs on the left?

I don't really have much to say about todays performance because I've said it all before after virtually ever match I've been at this season but we are in serious relegation trouble unless things improve massively very soon. We are showing absolutely nothing right across the field. I can't even see this squad getting out of it, if we don't want to be relegated this season I'd suggest we need to do a Ross County in the next transfer window. We are dire and nothing has changed since August.

It's not just McCall, it's all his signings too. Think of the money we have wasted on McManus, neilsen, twardzick, Ramsden, Vigurs, Lawson, Ainsworth, and josh law.

McManus - Experienced pro that's played at the highest level. He's no been brilliant since he joined but he's a good player.

Nielsen - I agree that he's a waste of money, but he'll have been Marshall's signing and not McCall's.

Twardzik - He's not great but he's still a young lad. Cheap option.

Ramsden - Spends a lot of time on the injury table but he was our best player last year when he was playing.

Vigurs - His defensive work rate and ability leaves much to be desired. Our most talented player who is a joy to watch when on form.

Lawson - Has spent a while injured but it's obvious he's a good player. Could be good with a run in the team but will likely go with the breakthrough of Leitch.

Ainsworth - Seriously?! You not remember last year? Has been known to hide in games but he's one of 2 or 3 players capable of winning a game for us.

Law - He's been pretty rotten but has had to make a big step up from non-league. One year deal and he'll be on peanuts, hardly a big risk. I don't think he's as bad as a lot of folk are making out but he definitely shouldn't have started as many games as he has.

• Like 1

Rambunctious, that post is far too sensible. I agree with the majority of your summary though. Central midfield's the one area we should be strongest, but with the way we're set up we're almost always overrun when we don't have the ball, and bypass it when we do. Switching to a 3 or 5 midfield would allow us to play with the likes of Lawson in front of the defence, where I think he'd be able to contribute best, and play two from Leitch/Lasley/Vigurs/Carswell to provide offensive support. However, as others have pointed out, moving to 3/5 in the middle, makes us weaker in other areas, as Sutton is not a lone striker and would likely struggle in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 setup, and our full-backs don't really offer enough in an attacking sense to get away with 5-3-2.

Still though, if the majority of the team are set up in their strongest positions, surely that's better than hampering the majority, as we seem to be with the 4-4-2.

Despite doing brilliantly last season I wasn't always a fan of the Lasley/Carswell midfield duo. I felt we were a bit one dimensional at times (see our inability to beat our fellow top six teams last year). Lasley and Carswell are good "all-rounders" who are decent at everything but excellent at nothing. I think they're too similar to play together and we'd definitely benefit from a change. I'd quite like to see Lawson sitting deep with Lasley playing alongside Vigurs who'd be allowed to roam free and not worry too much about defending.

Let's play players in their best positions/roles like you said, Fat Tony.

ETA: I don't blame McCall for sticking with the straightforward 442 thus far. It's worked tremendously well (tremendously, brilliantly, fantastically well in fact) for us before this season, but that's a dozen games this season and it's obviously no working.

1412453056[/url'>' post='422440']

FFS man , the guy was giving an opinion .That's what this forum is for .

1412453056' post='422440']

FFS man , the guy was giving an opinion .That's what this forum is for .

Yes , it's great to have a forum with different opinions, leads to lively debate, but when it's just someone's random thoughts, it's hard to have a debate

But then maybe SMC did tell this guy he is holding out for the rangers job or he tells him players wages, then his opinion is not some thought

• Like 2

Wasn't at the game today but I'd hunt Lawson now as a defensive midfielder he's not got a clue too easly robbed in dangerous positions as last week proved. Last year lasley ran the midfield and if he played well we usually won , I believe he's the key guy who has been off form if his legs are going then get him to play in front of the back 4 and run with carswell and leith in front of him. We can't hold the ball up front so the punt to Sutton is a waste of time we need to play with Ojama up front and try and pass the ball, The other problem is who to play out wide Ainsworth is great if he's interested but I think he's a 45 min guy. I'd be temped to try Reid on the right and we still don't have anyone for the left unless Thomas is any good "never seen him". Stick Angola and Vigers on the bench.