Do We Need a New Manager?

steelboy

I think that it is too early to think about a new manager. Maybe we do need a bit of perspective. I am sure that most of us would be shocked if St Johnstone sacked Tommy Wright on the back of a defeat to Rangers this evening and yet there are many parallels between St Johnstone and ourselves. Two teams with a similar budget, both having a considerable amount of league success over the last few seasons, Motherwell more so than St Johnstone. St Johnstones cup efforts have been noticably better both domestically and in Europe but that possibly only balances out Motherwell's league success.

Notably both these teams have struggled to perform this term. Does Tommy Wright deserve the time to turn their season round?

For me the trouble with our team goes back to the summer of 2013. The signing of Vigurs and Lawson in particular seemed to bring an imbalance to the squad that McCall has since struggled to address. I remember sitting at the european game at the start of that season (Levante I think it was) not being able to work out how our midfield was going to shape up for the new season. For that reason and others that have been well documented, 2nd place last season was nothing short of a minor miracle.

I don't have the tactical knowledge that others on here have but for me the way forward is to build a team round about Vigurs. He has no engine but he is the most talanted player in the squad. I think that if Vigurs was playing with confidence both creatively and by contributing a few goals from midfield, that in itself would be enough to see off relegation this year. How you build a team round Vigurs, I have no idea but I would think that there must be a way to set up the team to allow Vigurs to play to his strengths whilst minimising his weaknesses.

McCall deserves our support for a while longer. A win against St Johnstone might just be enough to kickstart the season.

• Like 5

If you look at what happened at Hibs last season, they made the managerial change early enough to allow the new manager sufficient time to turn things around. However, their board forgot a couple of critical points - the squad of players inherited by the new manager was sh*te and they failed to provide funds for changes to that squad. Outcome was still relegation.

So changing the manager is not always the answer.

Personally, I think Stuart McCall has been given a raw deal by the club - terrific league finishes for a number of seasons now and his reward? One playing budget cut after another. Anyone would struggle under such handicap. A number of serious misjudgements have been made behind the scenes, leading to a serious lack of investment, not least of which the much vaunted, well meaning but IMO doomed from the outset Well Society. So don't lay everything at the manager's door as there a bunch of amateurs behind the scenes - well-intentioned amateurs but amateurs just the same.

Agree with all of that. Although, to be fair, the Well Society was really the only avenue available to the club at the time, and if it didn't exist, we could have been in serious financial trouble. Hopefully the new soft loans will be made as planned next month and our cash flow will be in better shape for the transfer window.

But are the existing players really that bad? Or is it just that their confidence has been destroyed by being played totally out of position and/or asked to perform tasks which are beyond them.....over and over again. Eg Sutton up front on his own, Kerr wide right, Lasley as an attacking midfielder. Or for those that are fortunate enough to be played in their correct position, having to look on as the same (losing) team selections/tactics are repeated time and time again. Whatever, it does look like the players are as bamboozled as many of us are at the way they are set up.

Admittedly money is tight and McCall does deserve better after his success in recent years.But we are told this year's budget is the same as last, despite the Cup disasters. So the wages from Hutchie, Anier and Faddy were available to McCall to strengthen where required. He chose to invest that money in two year contracts to senior players and Josh Law. Last year he gave 2 year contracts to McHugh and Gunnar which can hardly be regarded as sensible investments. Looks to me as if the Board have provided what they could, but McCall has not spent wisely.

I guess what I am trying to say is that...Yes, McCall has been hard done to in some aspects, but the tripe we are witnessing week in week out is mainly down to him.

Rumour on fir park corner that seemingly MFC have written to some members of the Centenary Club ( and no doubt others) asking each member to provide a loan of 10k in order to raise 1 million.

Loan to be repaid with interest and donors given the status of an amber member of the Well Society.

Also John Boyle has taken the Main Stand as security.

Any truth behind that do you think?

1414614161[/url]' post='423796']

can you elaborate?

was it from the Club or the Society?

is the loan to the club or the society?

what membership are you being offered in return?

I think the loan is to the club with the stadium acting as security, Amber benefits are mentioned

If this is the case, administration can't be far away from being inevitable. Either way, it's time to take the hit and live within our means.

From what I heard, the email implied that there was a potential buyer for the club and the 1 million would be sufficient for the Well Society to obtain the shares instead. That, plus it would allow them to restructure their finances over the next 5 years.

The sad thing is, in the grand scheme of things, 1 million is peanuts when you look at the cash that flies around in the game. 1 month's worth of expense at Ibrox could set us up for 5 years.

From what I heard, the email implied that there was a potential buyer for the club and the 1 million would be sufficient for the Well Society to obtain the shares instead. That, plus it would allow them to restructure their finances over the next 5 years.

The sad thing is, in the grand scheme of things, 1 million is peanuts when you look at the cash that flies around in the game. 1 month's worth of expense at Ibrox could set us up for 5 years.

Does this mean the previously discussed soft loans for the Well Society have fallen through then, or are we seeking an additional £1mil?

I'd be interested to hear what a potential buyer has to say.

Since the letter is directed to ALL Motherwell FC supporters and friends I doubt I'm breaking any confidences by reproducing it here. In fact it can surely only be a positive for them in spreading the word further.......

Dear Andrew

TO: ALL MOTHERWELL FOOTBALL CLUB SUPPORTERS AND FRIENDS

TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THE CLUB WE ARE APPEALING TO ALL MOTHERWELL SUPPORTERS AND FRIENDS TO HELP US RAISE £1M.

CAN YOU HELP PLEASE?

As you know, in order to keep alive the prospect of assuming ownership of the club, the Well Society was given until the end of November to take its total funds to £800,000. So far it has raised more than £500,000 and is still in talks over a soft loan with an interested party that would take it beyond the total.

However, it has become apparent in the past few weeks that the club potentially needs more financial security than the Well Society would be able to offer it, even with the soft loan. And it also became apparent that there was a real danger of the ownership of the club being lost to the local community for the first time.

So, over the past two weeks there have been discussions among the club board, Well Society representatives, John Boyle and some prominent Motherwell-supporting business people who have agreed to help out the club. We are now seeking wider support to form a partnership that would give the club financial stability and prevent it being sold to outside interests.

Together we have come up with a plan that, if successful, will do both things, but we need Motherwell supporters to come together and act quickly.

Our plan would see the Well Society acquire John Boyle's shares if a consortium of interested parties can raise enough money to provide the club with financial security. The Well Society would then acquire 75% of the club's shares.

BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT

The club is again facing a potential shortfall of cash in the second half of the season. It has lost a combined £780,000 in the two seasons 2011-13, and has predicted a loss for last season. In February 2013, the Well Society helped the club meet a cash shortfall of £150,000 by buying shares. Last season the Well Society lent the club £230,000, which has been repaid: the club also borrowed £125,000 from an asset finance company. With the cup exits this season and difficulty in replicating last season's SPFL prize money, there is the real prospect of a bigger shortfall. While the club has no bank debt it still owes more than £360,000 to John Boyle, who has security over the stadium as a condition. If we cannot meet the shortfall together, the club will need to be sold and could be sold very quickly.

So, Motherwell supporters can help by,

PROVIDING A LOAN

We have come up with a range of benefits (outlined below) that will be provided to anyone who can lend the club enough money as part of a consortium. The stadium would be used as security for the lending consortium on a pro-rata basis. We are looking for pledges of £10,000 upwards.

Lender Benefits

In summary, in return for pooling their resources and providing the loan it is proposed that the consortium members will receive the following key benefits:

• all loan amounts repaid over an agreed timescale, with the club stadium providing loan security and protection
  • a competitive rate of interest, paid annually
  • a combined 20% share of any player's transfer fee to another club
  • a combined 20% share of any surplus if the club reaches the Scottish Cup Final
  • all benefits of the Well Society's amber members
  • a guarantee that John Boyle will transfer his shares to the Well Society, confirming fan ownership of the club.

THE FUTURE

Should the consortium successfully raise enough to trigger the release of John Boyle's shares, the new ownership of the company will execute measures to take the club forward based on the club's current financial position and a proposed business plan, both of which will be made available to prospective consortium members who express an interest.

Overall, the club will need to make cost-savings for next season and ensure it is not spending more money than it earns in future years. The Well Society would hold a majority stake and its representatives would form a board of directors along with other shareholders. Motherwell fans would thus control their club and prvent it being sold to outside interests who do not fully share our affinity with it. The Well Society would continue to raise money and recruit members to provide an on-going cash reserve that will help the club meet any future short-term cash issues.

We urgently need your help. Please join the consortium and avoid placing the club in financial danger or into the wrong hands.

If you agree to our proposal to become a member of the consortium, you are invited to join us for a 'sign-up' event on Thursday, 30 October in the Millennium Suite, Fir Park Stadium, at 6.30 pm.

Note: the meeting will be attended by members of the boards of Motherwell FC and the Well Society who will further explain the details of the consortium proposal and answer any questions about the loan details.

(Please confirm your attendance by calling Katie McCrossan on 01698 338006 or email wellsociety@motherwellfc.co.uk

We apologise for the very short notice of this meeting – time is not on our side!

If you are unable to attend but would like to consider joining the consortium and receive some more information, please telephone Alan Burrows, General Manager of MFC, on 01698 338012.

Please note that this is a once-only invitation on a first-come basis. Once we reach the target figure the invitation will be withdrawn. So please hurry, don't delay.

PROTECT YOUR CLUB – JOIN NOW

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT

FROM: BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF MOTHERWELL FC AND THE WELL SOCIETY

LOANS TO MFC

BACKGROUND AND TERMS

1. BACKGROUND

(a) The proposal is to raise £1m through loans made to MFC

(b) This is the amount of money needed to:-

(i) Meet the gap in working capital for this season

(ii) Allow other loans to the Club to be eliminated over the next 3 years

(iii) Restructure the cost base so the Club is on a 'break even' budget going forward on a worst case scenario

(iv) Let John Boyle transfer his share to the Well Society so that the Society becomes the majority shareholder in the Club

2. TERMS OF THE LOANS

(a) There will be a number of individual loans totalling £1m

(b) Minimum loan will be £10k

© Each loan will have identical loan documentation

(d) Each loan will have the football ground as security

(e) Loans will rank equally – ie repayments, interest will be pro rata – eg, a £50k loan will receive 5% of any general repayment made or interest payment

(f) The loans will be for an initial 5 year term but MFC will have the right to extend any amounts outstanding at the end of 5 years for a further 5 year period (so the Club has 10 year money effectively)

(g) An arrangement fee of 1% of the loan will be paid on 30 September 2015

(h) Annual interest will be paid on 30 September 2015 and every year until September 2020 (and beyond if loans are extended) at the following rates:-

(i) Years 1 / 2 2.5%

(ii) Years 3 / 4 3.0%

(iii) Year 5 4.0%

(iv) Any loans extended beyond year 5 – rate becomes 5.0%

(i) In addition to annual interest:-

(i) payment will be made to loan holders of 20% of all transfer and sell on fees and net proceeds of a Scottish or League Cup Final if more than 50% of the loans are outstanding at the start of that term

(ii) 10% of those fees when the debt is below 50%.

(j) Any individual who does not wish to receive this income can choose to forgo all or any part of it.

(k) All the benefits which accrue to an 1886 member of the Well Society will be available to a lender

(l) The payment waterfall each 30 September will be:-

(i) Annual interest

(ii) Annual other income (Transfer fees/Cup)

The Club can then redeem the loans if it chooses in multiples of £1k – pro rata

Raising investment from wealthy fans and local businessses was one of the goals of The Society, but none were interested. That's why we resorted to the loans instead.

Realistically, nobody would want to throw money away at a club like ours.