Worrying Times

ONeils40yarder

I am not a member of the WS but it seems to me that the longer this current ownership saga drags on and the more we hear about how they are handling it or not, the less impressed I am on their ability to run the club should they succeed.

In these difficult financial times We need stability and professional people running the club, I have no doubt the WS committee work hard and mean well but having them running the club gives me serious concerns.

Foreign consortium, fan ownership are both bollocking pipe dreams. It's time the amateurs running the club, albeit with the best of intentions, looked for some serious investors and stopped f@cking around. Oh and if we've had as many applications for the manager post as was being spouted, then it's time they sorted out the series contenders from the tyre kickers and got down to interviewing and making an appointment.

Oh and judging by Kenny Black's comments after Saturday's game at Inverness - which kind of echo Stuart McCall's - I think we need somebody who will come in and put their f@cking boot up the arses of a number of our so-called experienced pros who are failing to get the shoulder to the wheel.

• Like 4

Surely I can't be the only one who is hopeful that we actually do get bought out by this South American crowd. This consistent drudgery of constantly being rooked is beyond boring and quite frankly I would love a bit of energy in and around the club. Terms and conditions of sale can be included to protect the clubs survival - including all debts accrued being with the holding consortium and not directly with the club. Bring it on as far as I'm concerned - scottish football needs a breath of fresh air and boot up he backside and quite frankly, this could be it.

I have a funny feeling that the part in bold, if put on the table, would see them lose interest in a hurry. Not that I believe they exist to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

From the BBC Gossip column;

08:25: All the gossip... Billionaire Scot Les Hutchison is the man behind the proposed Motherwell fans' takeover of the club.

Terry Butcher is the front-runner to become Motherwell manager again, and the Englishman could be appointed within 48 hours.

Sunday Mirror 2007

A SCOTS engineer tied the knot with his oil tycoon boss yesterday in a stunning pounds 1million ceremony straight from the scenes of 80s TV show Dallas.

Dozens of wealthy Americans and Canadians descended on the Lanarkshire village of Bothwell for the wedding which had all the hallmarks of a Ewing family get-together.

JR was even in town - but it was multi-millionaire JR Shaw, who saw his billionaire niece Virginia Shaw tie the knot with Scots dad of one Les Hutchison.

Onlookers were left speechless as guests rolled up in a fleet of luxury cars, including Bentleys, Jaguars and Rolls-Royces, and emerged in designer outfits worth thousands of pounds.

Locals gathered at historic Bothwell Parish Church to see Mr Hutchison - who grew up in Uddingston, before leaving to seek his fortune in the US and Canada - marry Ms Shaw, 48.

The pair met after he landed a job with Ms Shaw's family firm Shawcor, a global energy services firm worth hundreds of millions of pounds.

They embarked on a romance which resulted in yesterday's fairytale wedding - surely the most expensive Scotland has ever seen.

All guests were flown across the Atlantic first-class and have spent the last week staying at the five star Turnberry hotel in Ayrshire - from where they have been helicoptered around the country.

No expense was spared in decking out the church in an floral display which alone cost the couple a mind-boggling pounds 100,000.

Ms Shaw has homes all over the world - and the floral arrangements contained flowers from Barbados, where they own a luxury pile.

One onlooker said: "If I didn't know differently, I'd have guessed that royalty was getting married in Bothwell.

"Forget Madonna and the other Hollywood movie stars who come to Scotland to tie the knot - this wedding outshone all the rest put together."

Mr Hutchison turned up for the ceremony in a traditional kilt outfit while his bride arrived early in a designer off-the-shoulder ivory gown. Speaking just before she was due to tie the knot, she told the Sunday Mirror: "We're not famous - we're just Canadians!"

After the hour-long ceremony the couple emerged to pose for photos before retiring to the nearby church centre for canapes. Their reception was taking place in Stirling Castle's Great Hall.

The couple are due to honeymoon at the Shaw family holiday home in Barbados.

Mr Hutchison, 53, who has a 33-year-old daughter, went to Uddingston Grammar school. After emigrating to seek his fortune, he worked his way up to his current position of Vice President of Shaw Pipeline Services - whose parent company Shawcor is owned by his new wife.

Canada-based giant Shawcor is one of the world's biggest energy services companies. Ms Shaw's dad Les Shaw ran it before his death in Barbados in January.

After her father's death, Ms Shaw was elected chair of Shawcor. Mr Shaw's younger brother JR is chairman of the one of Canada's biggest cable TV firms - and one of the country's richest men.

Exciting if true........good work by WS also.

Exciting is what you take from this?

All I'm seeing is a WS that can't even meet its target loaning 1mill at the same time as trying to run a football club that makes no money and no other form of income other than begging fellow fans.

Am I missing something?

Maybe not exciting, but more positive than it might have been.The whole South American thing is laughable, as anyone who remembers the situation at Dundee when they tried it. History repeats itself twice, first as tragedy, then as farce.Nobody is making money in Scottish football at the moment an clubs like ours are stuck between a financial rock and a hard place. The WS may struggle but short of an idiot willing to splash the cash on a vanity project, and we know how that will end, they are the option that will have the clubs best interests at heart. No, not exciting, but it may get us through to better times. Good luck to them.

• Like 2

All I'm seeing is a WS that can't even meet its target loaning 1mill at the same time as trying to run a football club that makes no money and no other form of income other than begging fellow fans.

Am I missing something?

Aye, that the Society reached the figure quoted to them earlier this year as they have stated on this 'ere message board before it became known additional income would be required, well, that and something like the...

panic-button-2.jpg

...getting pressed

Am I missing something?

Or on the other hand, is it maybe an opportunity for the club to get the best of both worlds, and keep a decent level of fan ownership and involvement in the club, while still maintaining the security offered by having a wealthy backer involved? Interesting article on the guy here, if the reports are true.

• Like 1

He appears philanthropic but also an astute businessman. For his name to be released after all the secrecy tells us that it has to be close to an announcement.

For those rubbishing the South American consortium I also have the thought of Dundee in the back of my mind. However I hope they don't go onto to take over another club and it makes me think back to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and what could have been.

Seems the best of both worlds. We essentially get a large backing from a well fan but also keep majority control with the fans and not 1 'owner'. It also does not stop us in the future from looking at external resource again.

As I have said before - the future financing/budget plans are of utmost importance. However, I see no greater risk in going with the WS as opposed to 'the consortium' on that front.

Seems the best of both worlds. We essentially get a large backing from a well fan but also keep majority control with the fans and not 1 'owner'. It also does not stop us in the future from looking at external resource again.

As I have said before - the future financing/budget plans are of utmost importance. However, I see no greater risk in going with the WS as opposed to 'the consortium' on that front.

From what I have heard he is not a football supporter but has family who are Well fans.