The Latest From Our Esteemed Leader.

postiejim

I would say a justified dig at the gaffer, after all the buck stops with him as they say, and it wasn't just last night we were poor we were poor last Saturday against Hamilton as well and

imo very lucky to win the match. And if MaGoo had got his tactics right for the full 90 mins

in the first game against St Mirren we might not have needed a replay.

You do have a right to have a dig at the gaffer as he got it wrong in the first game BUT you never mentioned the first game, but his comments before and after this game...

What the fuck has him telling what is probably 110% truth that he would love to lead us out at Hampden, and then why wouldn't he be upset that he won't be leading us out at Hampden?

Please, tell me, where you can actually have a go at him regarding his comments!

Also I would rather play pish and win (although I don't think we were that lucky apart from the first 15 minutes Smith wasn't really busy and we passed up so many chances by trying one too many passes) than play great and lose!

Yes just last week Marky boy was telling us about how he dreamt of leading the Well out

at Hampden park now it appears that last nights result will haunt him forever.

Give us a break Mark don't treat us like idiots. ;)

Well off the mark here!

I think McGhee is the exact opposit - from the way he talks to the media in refernce to us, etc - he does in no way whatsoever take us for idiots.

The fact he said that before the game, and then his comments afterwards, so how gutted he is. And I'm sure the players would have had burning ears after thursday!

McGhee came in from nowhere and took our relegation battlers to European football. And while he has failed to repeat that form this year, he still has my full support and backing!

I don't think you should treat McGhee like an idiot!

I think you're being a bit harsh there. I'm glad McGhee has came out said he's very disappointed we lost. I'd be more upset if he was all philosophical and didn't seem that bothered as he has done over some other nasty defeats.

Not that McGhee is not beyond criticism, but what hes said in the aftermath of the St Mirren cup exit has been fair enough in my opinion.

What would you like him to say?

Yes just last week Marky boy was telling us about how he dreamt of leading the Well out

at Hampden park now it appears that last nights result will haunt him forever.

Give us a break Mark don't treat us like idiots. :D

Is it just me, or does this post make no sense?

Surely if McGhee was dreaming of leading the team out at Hampden, a bad performance and defeat which cost him that dream would bother him? ;)

Is it just me, or does this post make no sense?

Surely if McGhee was dreaming of leading the team out at Hampden, a bad performance and defeat which cost him that dream would bother him? ;)

Agreed. Sometimes as fans we need to get a grip. We go totally overboard with negativity after every defeat, yet still find something to moan about after a win or draw!

There are loads of fans who have an agenda against certain players or the manager, and will never credit them for anything positive they do. Watch them when their figure of hate screws up in their eyes though!

We are Motherwell, we'll never be world beaters. Just enjoy the ride!!

I was going to start a new thread but this probably relates to this thread more relevantlly.

The Sunday Herald

All perspectives welcomeTHE GAFFER: Mark McGhee

I HAVE always tried to communicate with the supporters of all the clubs I have managed. Through programme notes or through the media I try to give out information about team affairs, what I am thinking and why I make certain decisions.

People often say the most important relationship for a manager is with his chairman but I would suggest that the one between a manager and the supporters is even more crucial. Chairmen hire managers but supporters fire them.

Since I became a manager at Reading in 1990 I have tried cultivating a relationship with the fans of each club I have managed. I recognise that it is the supporters that I ultimately answer to, and I try to remember what it was like for me as a teenager before I became a professional player, when I was a Celtic supporter.

advertisementempty.gifBecause I played school and club football at weekends I only really got to watch them in midweek games. These were mostly European Cup matches and they mostly won. There was not a lot to criticise.

Was the attitude of supporters the same then as it is now? All clubs' supporters have their favourite players and others who never seem to be able to do anything right. That has always been the case. Colleagues in the game regularly insist I am wasting my time trying to get my message across but I disagree. I have great respect for fans' knowledge of the game and feel obliged to speak to them. A lot of managers allow their press officers to write their programme notes. I never would.

The balance between dialogue and criticism is a difficult and dangerous one. No manager can afford to alienate the supporters by being critical of them but at the same time he may feel he has to appeal to them or to tell them of concerns that he may have. In doing this he has to be tactful.

If a manager's relationship with the supporters is strong and healthy then they should be able to talk to each other without fear of causing offence. When the relationship is dodgy, people will use any comments that the manager may make as an excuse to get at him.

At Motherwell, I have had superb backing from the supporters and they know me well enough by now to expect me to have something to say about any issue that concerns Motherwell Football Club. They know that I represent their interests and they know that I will fight their corner. Because I feel that I have a good understanding with our fans I am able to talk more directly to them than some other managers can.

How our utterances are reported is important and as a manager you have to be aware of how meaning and context can be easily corrupted and cause embarrassment. Earlier in the season I made a decision that apparently infuriated a small section of our support. When I was questioned about it I said "I don't give a monkey's". I said this because I was taken by surprise by the question and I let my guard down. Although I still stand by the offending decision it was not true that I "did not give a monkey's". Of course I cared what they thought and why they thought it but in saying it as I did, I exposed myself to the anger of some who have no real interest in Motherwell Football Club and who tried to take the opportunity to cause divisions.

Now multiply my concerns and my finely tuned sense of diplomacy by a hundred fold and you can understand what is required by my two esteemed colleagues at the Old Firm clubs. The intensity of the coverage of the big two clubs requires both Walter Smith and Gordon Strachan to think about the minute implications of every word they utter. They risk offending the other lot as well as their own support. Now that's pressure.