Stuart Mccall Has Resigned

David

Bit scunnered with the news, always had belief he would be able to turn it around and keep us up - which was the new priority this season. We probably need a fresh face though, but that comes with enhanced risk for relegation for me and would much rather of seen him stay until end of season.

Met him a few times, an absolute gent, and cups aside, probably the most successful 'Well manager since McLean. Achieving what he did with us is minor miracles and believe no one else could have achieved what he did.

Thanks for a great ride over the past 4years and the very best of luck going forward. For me, will always be welcomed back to Fir Park!

Pretty gutted to hear that he has resigned, one of the best that we have ever had and has given me some of my best times as Well fan.

What he has managed to achieve with the resources at his disposal over the past few years has been nothing short of miraculous.

Despite the state that we are currently in I was optimistic that he could turn it around and would have wanted him to be given at least until Christmas, felt that the had earned that.

Sign of the man's intergrity that he has decided to resign and walk rather than waiting for a payment.

Cheers Stuart, you go with my very best wishes, thanks and total respect.

Thanks for everything Stuart you walk away with your head held high and with a record of our most successful manager. Your are right that it is time for a change. I wish you every success in the future. Players now need to deliver - no excuses or cheap talk - demonstrate your commitment on the park.

Is Owen Coyle employed at the moment?

Think that article clearly confirms what a lot of us thought. He wasn't up to the job of getting us out this mess and didn't know how too.

His lack of motivation and willingness to fight for something or apathy has been prevalent in the players for some time.

Kudos to him for walking then but I wish he had went when he first thought after Dundee, as we might have got something out the Aberdeen/St J games.

I think just the Scotland job might be right up his street at the moment, less stress, more time off and better for him.

Eerily similar to how he left Bradford.....

Praise The Lord yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif. Best decision that McCall has made since he's been at Fir Park and I for one respect him for walking away instead of hanging out for a payoff. Over to you now Motherwell FC, make the right appointment.

You can give the guy credit for his integrity, but even by your standards, the rest of the logic in that post is laughably ignorant.

1415017208[/url]' post='424382']

You can give the guy credit for his integrity, but even by your standards, the rest of the logic in that post is laughably ignorant.

I'm not sorry to see McCall go, I never rated him and never hid that view on here and the time was most definitely right for a change. However I do admit that that post you quoted was poor from me, especially making it out as some sort of victory which of course it's not and also by saying that it was his best decision since he's been here. Whatever anyone thinks of McCall, his league record with us was superb, despite his faults. So yes, it was ignorant and in poor taste. I wish McCall well for the future.

• Like 4

To be fair, nothing will ever be worse than being pumped off 3rd division Rangers. Can't see him being in the running for that gig anyway.

Interesting report that he was ready to leave after the Dundee game. If true it puts the notion to bed that he could have turned it around. Nevertheless, his honesty and integrity fitted well with the club and we will struggle to replace him with someone that connects so well with the majority of the support.

A good performance against Dundee Utd would be a huge slap in the face for McCall and the support.

I'm not sorry to see McCall go, I never rated him and never hid that view on here and the time was most definitely right for a change. However I do admit that that post you quoted was poor from me, especially making it out as some sort of victory which of course it's not and also by saying that it was his best decision since he's been here. Whatever anyone thinks of McCall, his league record with us was superb, despite his faults. So yes, it was ignorant and in poor taste. I wish McCall well for the future.

Right we got you. Shut up - it's boring. Suspect you & steelboy would be into 2 man bum chains...

OK McCall has gone. Was great for us and sad to see him go, but by the looks of it he wanted to go and if thats the case then its the best thing for all involved.

Now for the interesting bit...who would be want to replace him.

Personally I would be very happy if we went for someone like Ian Murray. Young manager with lots going for him. Look how well guys like Paul Hartley and Alex Neil are doing.

Worth a punt?

6172252b-491d-41c0-a1bd-836e598d308c.jpgBefore speaking to anyone else, I would like to send my final correspondence as Motherwell manager directly to the most important people, you, the supporters.

It’s fair to say that the last 24 hours or so have been incredibly difficult and emotional for me personally. However, it has also given me time to reflect on what has been a wonderful four years.

I’ve enjoyed terrific highs throughout – my first season we beat Celtic, turned in excellent Scottish Cup Quarter and Semi Final performances before getting to Hampden. Seeing what getting to a National Final meant to the fans, but also the town itself is something that will live with me forever.

I think back to the night we beat Hearts to qualify for the Champions League then the atmosphere at Fir Park for that game against Panathinaikos. For a lot of our players, that was the highlight of their career playing at that level.

We’ve managed to beat Celtic three times at Fir Park, including back-to-back wins. I remember coming back from 2-0 down at Easter Road to win and no one will ever forget that game at Pittodrie in the last game of the campaign. That will go down as one of the best days I’ve ever had in football.

You think back to those games and others with real enjoyment and satisfaction, but not just for ourselves, for what it did for you as supports and the highs they brought. We scored over 120 league goals in the last two seasons, so there have been plenty of positives.

Don’t get me wrong, managers always hold on defeats longer than victories and I acknowledge there have been some hugelydisappointing lows. I suppose, in hindsight, I wish I had enjoyed the victories more at the time, but I was always too focused on the next game. I just hope the amount of highs cancel out some of the disappointments when people look back at what we’ve achieved here.

We then come to this season, which has been a huge disappointment and my ultimate decision to step down yesterday. After the win at Ross County and the performance at Celtic Park, there was a real belief that we could get our confidence back and kick on, but the defeat at Hamilton in the Cup, and in particular, the manner of it, really knocked the stuffing out of us.

I struggled to sleep after Friday’s game with St Johnstone then woke up again during the night Saturday into Sunday, thinking about the Dundee United game and I just couldn’t come up with any answers. I felt that with the International break coming up, now would be a good time to step aside to allow the club time.

I have a hope that with a fresh voice and maybe some new ideas, it will give the players that little boost they need. I felt that if I didn’t have the same hunger or desire, if I was deflated, then the players would sense that and that’s not what they, or the club, needs at this point.

I remember saying at Bradford prior to leaving that I take defeats really badly and carry it with me for a long time. This season has been difficult and when you become apprehensive about the next game, that’s your body’s way of telling you that maybe things have come to an end.

Both as a player and manager, you should work all week and really look forward to matches, but if you have that negativity in your head, it’s difficult and I don’t want that to make our situation any worse. I care too much about the place and the people who work here.

I would like to finish by thanking some people who have been invaluable to me. First, to the board – Derek Weir and others – who gave me a chance to manage this fantastic football club. They have all been hugely supportive through both good and bad times.

To all the staff I’ve worked beside: Kenny Black, Gordon Marshall, Jonatan Johansson, Adam Stokes, John Porteous and latterly Aileen Anderson, Alan MacDonald, Bobby Jenks, Scott Leitch, and before him Gordon Young. We’ve been a really close-knit, tight unit who has worked hard through it all and I want to put on record my thanks for all their terrific work and effort.

To the players, both current and past, who have represented themselves and the club so fantastically and achieved so much. You can talk all you like about tactics, formations and shape, but it’s footballers that win you games and they have been outstanding.

I would also like to acknowledge all the superbly dedicated and hard-working staff that work at the club.

Alan Burrows, who has been a great help to me throughout my whole time in both his roles, and the two guys in media, Ross Clarkson and Ally Reilly, who have contributed more than anyone will know to the success of this club in recent times. Karen Paterson, the football administrator, has been a huge source of advice and guidance too over the years.

To Elaine and all the groundstaff, the kitchen and office staff – each one of them have been a pleasure to work beside and made coming in to Fir Park so enjoyable. I will miss them all.

And finally to you, the supporters. I’ve enjoyed an excellent rapport with you all and I hope some of the great days and nights we’ve had together over the last four years have made supporting this football club an enjoyable experience.

The group of young guys in the corner has given home matches a heart, a soul and an atmosphere and it’s fair to say Motherwell FC is certainly a club that gets under your skin.

I would ask you all to rally around the club and the players in the next few weeks and months. We’ve achievedeverything with hard work, dedication and a real togetherness and that’s particularly the case when things aren’t going right.

Nothing would give more pleasure if I am back up the road next May with my Claret and Amber scarf, with the team having picked up in the league, watching ‘Well at the Scottish Cup Final once again.

It’s been a pleasure. Thanks for the memories.

So long and farewell.

mccallsig_2_.jpg

Stuart McCall

• Like 6

OK McCall has gone. Was great for us and sad to see him go, but by the looks of it he wanted to go and if thats the case then its the best thing for all involved.

Now for the interesting bit...who would be want to replace him.

Personally I would be very happy if we went for someone like Ian Murray. Young manager with lots going for him. Look how well guys like Paul Hartley and Alex Neil are doing.

Worth a punt?

Definitely, but unless we have another email from the Society begging for the cash to stump up for his compensation, I can't see it...

That letter to the fans and club speaks volumes about the character of the man that we've lost.

I have to admit, seeing his post match interview on Sportscene last night he looked a broken man and his e-mail certainly says as much.

All the very best to him wherever he ends up; he deserves a shot with a club bigger than Motherwell; be that as a coach or a manager.

As much as people wanted a change that e-mail shows the man really does care about motherwell football club and we mite not get a manager like him for a long time. Hopefully 1 day we all get a chance to thank him for what he has done for motherwell and the memories he has gave us. Players and managers leave but supporters will always be there and a think its time for us fans to get behind the team and get us out this mess that we are in.

To be fair, nothing will ever be worse than being pumped off 3rd division Rangers. Can't see him being in the running for that gig anyway.

I can think of half a dozen worse defeats than that without even trying. From Queens Park to Berwick Rangers.

I'm not sorry to see McCall go, I never rated him and never hid that view on here

Of course your delighted to see him go. It must have been a struggle to keep posting your misery-laden doom and gloom predictions against our most successful post-war manager.

Fingers crossed the next guy gives you results closer to your predictions, eh?

• Like 1

HAve to say that's a brilliant email. Sad he's gone but he admitted time was right crucial appointment now and I wonder if it'll be delayed with potential sale on the cards.