Stuart Mccall Has Resigned

David

It's certainly the first time I've felt a bit of sadness to see a manager leave, normally you are either glad to see the back of them as they have been murder, or pissed off if they have turned out to be disloyal c*nts, neither of which McCall was. I'm thankful that we have held onto him as long as we did and wish him all the best of success in future, I just hope he doesn't now turn around in the next few days and take up a post somewhere else, (Sevco, Palace) that would probably piss a few people off and sour the good sentiment also. I also think it would be a good idea for the Bois to do some kind of display if possible, as if he had read these boards in the last few weeks he would be left thinking that we hated him, which is clearly not the case and it would be the decent thing to show publicly that we appreciated him.

As for the new manager, if the club want us to be community/fan owned through the Well Society, then in my opinion it is only reasonable that they listen to what we have to say on the matter and take it into consideration our thoughts. It seems that there a few obvious candidates who might be well placed to get the job who we as fans clearly don't want and will find it hard to back, and we don't want the crowds to dwindle any further off the back of a terrible appointment. Part of the reason Scottish football is so stagnant is that it is the same journeymen players and managers that float between clubs year after year, and what we have done in our appointments at manager and player level have been almost the only exception to that over the last 8 or 9 years until recently, and is probably at the heart of why we have been successful, keeping it fresh. I sincerely hope we continue in this vein, the prospect of Adams, Leitch et al makes me ill. The young guy at Valencia that has been mentioned looks exactly like the type of appointment we want, although our chance of landing him is probably smaller than it is of coaxing Alex Ferguson out of retirement......now that would be a left-field appointment!

Edited by Kerouac

Agree with your first paragraph a lot, but can't agree with the second part; I don't think the fans should have any say in who the next manager is (I remember the way which the McCall appointment was met and look how that turned out). Some of the suggestions on here have been a bit mental, from Tommy McLean to a dreamteam of Chris McCart, Stephen Craigan and Wille Pettigrew.

Also want to add that that's a fantastic email from McCall, he's shown how much he cared for the job, and I'm really sad to see him go.

skip to 1.55 laugh1.gif

That email confirms the man's quality of character and commitment to his work. Maybe it's the right time but still very sad to see him go.

One big plus here, is that potential managers will be quick to spot the opportunity to make themselves look good, even if only for the remainder of the season. The new man will inherit a squad which has already shown itself to be very capable of competing in our league, it's not like coming in to manage a group stripped of all quality. For that reason we may get some interest from at least one of the higher operating out of work managers, along the Coyle, Mackay, McLeish lines.

Someone mentioned Kluivert. Don't want to come across like one of the Tommy Mclean nutjobs but that would be awesome. Ajax / Barca / Lille - must know a thing or two about youth development that we so badly need at Fir Park.

Nice statement from McCall, was never a huge fan, probably due to my dislike of all things Rangers but he's done an undoubted good job with us. It is a shame it went a bit baws up this season but it was always going to happen regardless of what manager was in charge!!

The very best of luck to him and I wish him all the best at Palace (as i'd imagine its lined up). Possibly get a few Crystal Palace reserve players up to gain match experience!!

This McCall love in is starting to bother me. Full of thanks for the first 3 seasons with many great times and I would prob say that he is one of the best managers I have seen but on the other hand he is also the manager that had one of the worst results in the history of the club, very very poor cup record and last year poor record against the top 6 teams.

On the whole I think he has many more good times than bad but he has chosen to leave, we did not sack him. In my opinion anyone that wants to leave can leave. Life moves on.

I wonder how many on here have said that any player that wants to leave can leave, same thing. For example Nicky Law was boo'd at St Johnstone on one of his last games for us after he said he wanted to leave, however, when our manager wants to leave its the biggest loss in the world.

• Like 1

very sad to see McCall go

in my option there are a few player who should be hanging their heads in shame for letting him down

McCall statement showed that he knew he had lost the team and he had tried everything to change this but you can't change people unless they want to change

Thanks Stuart for 4 great years and the best of luck to you

Watched the player interviews on STV news at 6 and wondered if it was my imagination or did Las and big Mick not seem too upset at the news.

Crossed my mind a little, particularly when McManus has previously stated how pivotal McCall was in getting him to Motherwell and renewing his contract.

Probably just being professional though.

Watched the player interviews on STV news at 6 and wondered if it was my imagination or did Las and big Mick not seem too upset at the news.

Maybe reading too much into it, but Lasley hasn't put anything on twitter about it yet which given he's usually quite active on there, struck me as a bit strange.

1415032731[/url]' post='424439']

It's certainly the first time I've felt a bit of sadness to see a manager leave, normally you are either glad to see the back of them as they have been murder, or pissed off if they have turned out to be disloyal c*nts, neither of which McCall was. I'm thankful that we have held onto him as long as we did and wish him all the best of success in future, I just hope he doesn't now turn around in the next few days and take up a post somewhere else, (Sevco, Palace) that would probably piss a few people off and sour the good sentiment also. I also think it would be a good idea for the Bois to do some kind of display if possible, as if he had read these boards in the last few weeks he would be left thinking that we hated him, which is clearly not the case and it would be the decent thing to show publicly that we appreciated him.

As for the new manager, if the club want us to be community/fan owned through the Well Society, then in my opinion it is only reasonable that they listen to what we have to say on the matter and take it into consideration our thoughts. It seems that there a few obvious candidates who might be well placed to get the job who we as fans clearly don't want and will find it hard to back, and we don't want the crowds to dwindle any further off the back of a terrible appointment. Part of the reason Scottish football is so stagnant is that it is the same journeymen players and managers that float between clubs year after year, and what we have done in our appointments at manager and player level have been almost the only exception to that over the last 8 or 9 years until recently, and is probably at the heart of why we have been successful, keeping it fresh. I sincerely hope we continue in this vein, the prospect of Adams, Leitch et al makes me ill. The young guy at Valencia that has been mentioned looks exactly like the type of appointment we want, although our chance of landing him is probably smaller than it is of coaxing Alex Ferguson out of retirement......now that would be a left-field appointment!

Even if he did go elsewhere, so what, he's done his time with Mfc, and hope wants to work.It wouldn't even bother me if he went to Rangers, he gave us 4 good years,now he's going yo work somewhere else

My sentiments in full.

McCall was an outstanding manager to the fans, with his emails and approachable nature fostering excellent relationships; crucial for a club of our size. He constantly remained on message, with nigh on incessant positivity as regards increasing crowd size, and frequently acknowledging the Bois as a huge crux of the team's strengths on the park.

He did us a truly outstanding job in the league, leading a couple of teams, from inherited to ripped apart and restarted, to stunning positions, which, whilst apparently unachievable, especially for a wee upstart mob like ourselves, became the norm, and less than punching above our weight, it became, as far as I'm concerned, our weight.

In the cups, a far less splendid record, but we can't forget or dismiss his work in getting us to the 2011 final, despite what happened on the day itself. In Europe, poor, admittedly.

His transfers, which included poorer players such as Jones and Daley, I'd say, have been far offset by the likes of Humphrey, Higdon, Ojamaa, Anier and *spits* Nicky Law. He could have done more for the youth, admittedly, but as far as I'm concerned, that's his single blindest spot.

And finally, I can't help but draw attention to the obvious; his dignity in leaving. A truly classy and outstanding statement, which emphasises the various reasons why I'm happy to have had Stuart as our manager. It has gone wrong in the end, and it is time to switch things up a little, but that is not to disparage the phenomenal work which has gone before, by a person I'd be happy to welcome back, as an old friend, into the Motherwell fold, at any time.

Glasses up, for me, and all the best, Stuart.

• Like 8

My sentiments in full.

McCall was an outstanding manager to the fans, with his emails and approachable nature fostering excellent relationships; crucial for a club of our size. He constantly remained on message, with nigh on incessant positivity as regards increasing crowd size, and frequently acknowledging the Bois as a huge crux of the team's strengths on the park.

He did us a truly outstanding job in the league, leading a couple of teams, from inherited to ripped apart and restarted, to stunning positions, which, whilst apparently unachievable, especially for a wee upstart mob like ourselves, became the norm, and less than punching above our weight, it became, as far as I'm concerned, our weight.

In the cups, a far less splendid record, but we can't forget or dismiss his work in getting us to the 2011 final, despite what happened on the day itself. In Europe, poor, admittedly.

His transfers, which included poorer players such as Jones and Daley, I'd say, have been far offset by the likes of Humphrey, Higdon, Ojamaa, Anier and *spits* Nicky Law. He could have done more for the youth, admittedly, but as far as I'm concerned, that's his single blindest spot.

And finally, I can't help but draw attention to the obvious; his dignity in leaving. A truly classy and outstanding statement, which emphasises the various reasons why I'm happy to have had Stuart as our manager. It has gone wrong in the end, and it is time to switch things up a little, but that is not to disparage the phenomenal work which has gone before, by a person I'd be happy to welcome back, as an old friend, into the Motherwell fold, at any time.

Glasses up, for me, and all the best, Stuart.

Excellent post.

I agree with it word for word.

(Apart from who signed Humphrey ;-) )

• Like 1

He might have got the manager wrong, but at least he had the correct spelling of "Humphrey". Seemed to cause as many problems as "Hutchinson" with half the posters on here.

*sits back and waits for all the typos in this post to be pointed out*

He might have got the manager wrong, but at least he had the correct spelling of "Humphrey". Seemed to cause as many problems as "Hutchinson" with half the posters on here.

*sits back and waits for all the typos in this post to be pointed out*

I could adjust the forum filters to correct spelling of player's surnames but no doubt we'd sign a Hutchison, Humphries and a Hamell