The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

Watched one or two Baraclough videos tonight, he came across pretty well but when you hear the manager of sligos' league rivals was Steven Kenny it sets a few alarm bells ringing.

Judging by what McCall said on Saturday, I think Baraclough is the well researched man that phoned McCall to quiz him on all things Motherwell.

For some reason I can't see us going with Van Der Gaag.

I'd imagine that the new manager will be unveiled tomorrow or Friday. Barraclough sadly has a feel of a Pat Fenlon/Steven Kenny appointment. Not saying that he would be, but that's my fear.

Risks attached to all candidates...

Any different from criticisms after the appointment of:

Jim Gannon ... who? isn't he mental?

Craig Brown ... too old?

McCall ... currant bun tendencies? Bradford record?

Personally I think and hope it will be someone off the radar.

Maaskant. If you look at his record he's never been anywhere for very long and I don't think that bodes very well. There is something not right when someone wins a championship, as he did in Poland, and then is fired when the champagne in the bottles is still fizzing. He also seems like he's upset a few people along the way, is quite outspoken and likes a bit of cash to spend. From what I understand he's left clubs that had spent money and then found themselves in financial trouble. Is he the right guy? I don't know but from what little I have managed to glean I have suspicions that his appointment would be a risky one.

van der Gaag. I was a massive fan of his as a player and he usually makes it into my all time Motherwell XI along side Brian Martin at the back. On the face of it he's a decent managerial record but you just wonder if his ideas of Motherwell are 1990's ideas rather than a more modern awareness of where we are now. Also he doesn't have much experience of fighting relegation, his coaching has been in a completely different footballing culture that won't be replicated at Motherwell and he seems to have long lasting health problems. Would he be able to take the strain? It's bad enough for supporters when we are at the wrong end of the table so is this a job for someone with a serious heart problem?

Barraclough. I don't know much about him but managers coming out of the League of Ireland to Scotland don't exactly have a great record of success in recent times. On the other hand he'll be used to having no money and dealing with players that aren't technically gifted. He might also have 'affordable' player contacts in the English lower leagues and in Ireland.

Van Der Gaag for me. We really need a totally fresh approach at the club. I'm really hoping that he and whatever staff he would choose to bring (please please please let this be the end of Black, Marshall and co.), would be be set a remit of overhauling our entire playing structure. From introducing stricter training regimes, fitness requirements and longer training hours for the senior squad, to a stricter focus on bringing through youth and a focus on technical ability on the junior sides. We are at an impass, yes we have to stay in the top division this season, however I do believe that in the spl, a manager with any form of tactical nuance would be able to have a team compete comfortably - van der gaag has competed in a league better than ours therefore this aspect does not worry me. What we also need to realise is that it is crucial we set the wheels in motion for next summer when we have many players out of contract. We need to evolve through that phase, not be hit like a bolt out of the blue come next May/June, which makes it increasingly important to emphasise a change in structure so that is in place by the Time it comes to finding players equipped to fit into it. This, I hope everyone realises, is about a lot more than simply winning next Saturday against Ross county.

• Like 1

The new man won't be able to bring his own people until next season though. Don't think the club can afford to pay off Black and Marshall. Agree that we need a fresh new outlook though. Diet and fitness need looking at for sure.

The new man won't be able to bring his own people until next season though. Don't think the club can afford to pay off Black and Marshall. Agree that we need a fresh new outlook though. Diet and fitness need looking at for sure.

Really? May well be the case, but, on the other hand, can we afford to keep them on? I'd expect funds to be found if it meant securing the right persons for the job.

I think I would be content with Van der Gaag or Barraclough. HEre is how I see it:

Van der Gaag

+ Appears to have decent success at Maritimo and Belenenses.

+ European experience as a player and manager may bring a new culture and outlook to the club.

+ Fresh and 'exotic' appointment

- Unclear how up to speed he is with the SPFL, lack of funds etc etc

- Health/heart issues?

Barraclough

I do see why there is a comparison between Ian Barraclough and the fact Fenlon and Kenny flopped etc. - as he is coming from a couple of years success in the League of Ireland.

However, according to Wiki, Ian Barraclough spent his full playing career in England, managed Scunthorpe for a bit before then going to Ireland.Since then he has been a scout for Huddersfield. Compare that to Fenlon and Kenny who spent their full playing and managing careers in the league of Ireland and knew no different.

+ Successful in Ireland. Sligo's most successful manager ever and articles from around his departure do seem to show an amount of disappointment in the club's decision to let him go.

+ Worked as a scout and played in english lower leagues. Good knowledge of players?

- Will start with the 'manager from league of ireland' tag

- Not as 'exciting' an appointment as Van der Gaag

- Unproven outside of Ireland

What's the point in introducing a new ethos into the club if we get relegated before we get a chance to properly implement it?

Our main criteria should be appointing someone to get us out of the hole we are in now, the grand schemes can wait IMO.

No one on the list jumps out at me as the type or manager that will do that unfortunately.

The whole process has been rather Meh TBH!

If its between Van der Gaag and Barraclough it would have to be Barraclough for me. The fact he is currently working as a scout in the English Championship would mean he would be very knowledgeable of the lower english leagues where I think is our best chance to bring in players who could quickly find their feet and help us climb the league table. His managerial career seems pretty decent albeit in the Irish league compared to that of van der gaag whos best finish was 5th with maritimo, hardly something to shout about. I'm just glad that Butcher, Adams and Shiels seem to be out the running!

If its between Van der Gaag and Barraclough it would have to be Barraclough for me. The fact he is currently working as a scout in the English Championship would mean he would be very knowledgeable of the lower english leagues where I think is our best chance to bring in players who could quickly find their feet and help us climb the league table. His managerial career seems pretty decent albeit in the Irish league compared to that of van der gaag whos best finish was 5th with maritimo, hardly something to shout about. I'm just glad that Butcher, Adams and Shiels seem to be out the running!

Finishing fifth in the Portugese league is hardly something to shout about? Really? People need a reality check. I'm not saying Van der Gaag is the best candidate but for me his record isn't something you can quibble about. The health issue is something people would naturally be concerned about but pretty sure that he wouldn't be applying for the job if he thought it would endanger his health...

Finishing fifth in the Portugese league is hardly something to shout about? Really? People need a reality check. I'm not saying Van der Gaag is the best candidate but for me his record isn't something you can quibble about. The health issue is something people would naturally be concerned about but pretty sure that he wouldn't be applying for the job if he thought it would endanger his health...

It is a pretty good achievement tbh. Take out Sporting, Porto, Braga and Benfica who are streets ahead of the rest of the league and it's a best of the rest finish.

Van Der Gaag for me. We really need a totally fresh approach at the club. I'm really hoping that he and whatever staff he would choose to bring (please please please let this be the end of Black, Marshall and co.), would be be set a remit of overhauling our entire playing structure. From introducing stricter training regimes, fitness requirements and longer training hours for the senior squad, to a stricter focus on bringing through youth and a focus on technical ability on the junior sides. We are at an impass, yes we have to stay in the top division this season, however I do believe that in the spl, a manager with any form of tactical nuance would be able to have a team compete comfortably - van der gaag has competed in a league better than ours therefore this aspect does not worry me. What we also need to realise is that it is crucial we set the wheels in motion for next summer when we have many players out of contract. We need to evolve through that phase, not be hit like a bolt out of the blue come next May/June, which makes it increasingly important to emphasise a change in structure so that is in place by the Time it comes to finding players equipped to fit into it. This, I hope everyone realises, is about a lot more than simply winning next Saturday against Ross county.

I with you on this. My thoughts exactly.

van der gaag whos best finish was 5th with maritimo, hardly something to shout about.

That's a great acheivment considering the size of Maritimo - one of the smaller clubs in Portugal. It's equivalent of Motherwell finishing best of the rest. Maritimo have average attendances of 3000. They also have a history of youth development and an impressive scout network that I'm sure Van der Gaag would have benefited from being involved with.

I with you on this. My thoughts exactly.

That's a great acheivment considering the size of Maritimo - one of the smaller clubs in Portugal. It's equivalent of Motherwell finishing best of the rest. Maritimo have average attendances of 3000. They also have a history of youth development and an impressive scout network that I'm sure Van der Gaag would have benefited from being involved with.

Having a look at his transfer dealings when he was there too - he didnt spend a single dime but brought in a host of players. Sounds similar.

Fair enough looking at the teams above then yeah you are right but I was looking at the games won percentage which was 36%.

His win rate, in the league, was actually 41% - 10 games won out of the 24 league games he was in charge

He did, however, get put out of the League and National cup at the first stage when he was in charge.

Seems a great fit mellow.gif

May I be the first to offer the traditional welcome to our new gaffer.

YET-TO-BE-APPOINTED-GUY OUT!!!

100% agree....

Despite the new man being involved in football at a professional level, he doesn't know as much about the game than your average messageboard or East Stand fan.

New Man Out.

• Like 2