The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

Butcher was fine at putting the fear into the young lads we had at the time and getting them playing. He was what we needed at the time. His approach would go down like a lead balloon with Lasley, Hammill, Vigours, Sutton et all. And whilst some might think that is no bad thing, we certainly require these guys to get us out of the mess we are currently in.

None of the above even takes into account we should have been relegated under his watch, and he managed to get a Hibs team with significant resources relegated last season.

He wouldn't be my choice.

i don't want butcher but i don't think you can hold finishing bottom against him, we were by far the weakest team in a league where every other club was still living high on the generosity of their bankers.

I think you can hold relegating Hibs against him.

He does appear to have a decent cv to be fair, but Im not sure I could take it seriously.

The aforementioned incident where he assaulted O'Neil's elbow is one of the standout memories of Fir Park when I was young,

(Alongside the Scottish Cup, Katowice, a Richard Gough (I think) OG and the Liverpool centenary game.

Anyway...

Billy McKinlay sounds promising, after bizarre treatment at hands of Watford he might be willing to start on a slightly lower rung after a few years coaching.

Having read Tommy McLeans autobiography he sounded like he had kept involved enough in the game not to have been totally been left in a bygone age. Paired up with someone like Keef as a notably younger assistant, grooming the younger man to take over in a season or two perhaps.

Someone questioned Lasleys leadership and fair enough he not the shouty type but always led by example whether he was captain or not with his attitude.

Could life with Owen Coyle also despite the failure at Wigan on the back of his time at Bolton going bad. What he did up here, then Burnley and in the beginning at Bolton before he lost a few important players suggested he wasn't entirely clueless.

BBC Gossip pointed me towards The Herald this morning and Billy McKinlay

Billy McKinlay Story in The Herald.

Billy McKinlay may be ideal for Motherwell, a club where 'you use all your tricks'

Michael Grant

Chief football writer

Thursday 6 November 2014

BILLY McKinlay is a contender for the vacant Motherwell job.

It didn't work out for him at Watford but Billy McKinlay would like to become the new Motherwell manager. Picture: Getty Sport

It didn't work out for him at Watford but Billy McKinlay would like to become the new Motherwell manager. Picture: Getty Sport

Around 40 applications have arrived at the Fir Park club since Stuart McCall resigned on Sunday and the former Scotland international midfielder has made it known that he would be interested in the job. McKinlay would continue Motherwell's sequence of making unexpected, slightly left-field managerial appointments although Derek Adams is still the bookmakers' favourite for the position.

Numerous other names have done the rounds - Billy Stark, Terry Butcher, Ian Murray, Csaba Laszlo, Mark Venus and Ian Cathro among them - and Motherwell have been delighted with the level of interest given that they sit second bottom in the SPFL Premiership and are operating under financial stress.

McKinlay, 45, has never held down a manager's role although there was widespread sympathy for him when he was given just two games in charge of Watford before being asked to step back down to his backroom position. McKinlay had worked under Roy Hodgson, Martin Jol and others during 10 years as a coach and resigned from his role as Northern Ireland's assistant manager so that he could commit fully to the Watford job.

Despite having been appointed by owner Giampaolo Pozzo on September 29 he was called to a meeting on October 6 - having overseen a win and a draw in two games - and was asked to step back down to assistant manager.

McKinlay refused and left the club, but said he was more determined than ever to experience management properly.

McCall's assistant, Kenny Black, will be in charge of the team for tomorrow night's home game against Dundee United and the Motherwell directors then plan to use the international break to identify the candidates they are interested in and make approaches to those they intend to interview.

Although the composition of the board has changed over the years, one constant has been an element of unconventional and left-field thinking in recent managerial appointments, almost all of which have proved to be successful.

Since 2002 Motherwell have been managed by Terry Butcher, Maurice Malpas, Mark McGhee, Jim Gannon, Craig Brown and McCall, each of them an intriguing appointment at the time.

McGhee had been out of work for nine months and his reputation had been damaged by dismissals from Wolves, Millwall and Brighton, but he had an excellent spell at Motherwell from 2007 to 2009, doing so well he made the shortlist to become Scotland manager.

When he reflects on that period now, it is the quality and warmth of the people around the club that is vivid in his mind and that was evident to him from the start.

"I sat down with [directors] John Boyle and Stewart Robertson on that first night in One Devonshire Gardens [a Glasgow hotel]," he said yesterday. "I just knew I would get on well with John because of his speed at drinking wine. I thought 'he'll do for me'. Having seen him again last Thursday night I know some things have never changed.

"I would be surprised if they don't get it right again this time. What they seem to be good at is picking people for the moment. When I came in they were looking for someone with a bit of experience who was going to shake the place up a bit. When Craig came in they maybe needed someone to keep that going, to maintain it.

"When Stuart came in it needed something else, a fresh face and energy. And now it needs something else again, they'll need someone who will be able to pick it up and get it going again."

Motherwell had finished tenth under Malpas when McGhee took over and he led them to third and seventh in his two campaigns before leaving for Aberdeen. Although financial limitations and modest, stagnant home attendances were dispiriting - and doubtless will be again to McCall's successor - McGhee could understand the current flood of applications. "Even if they won the Europa League the attendances the following season wouldn't stay much bigger for long.

"They are a type of club which is limited in its crowds, which affects what they can do when it comes to keeping good player and good managers. At a club like Motherwell you have to beg, borrow and steal, you have to use all your tricks, all your contacts, all your knowledge, and you do that over and over and eventually you run out of tricks.

"But they are still an attractive club. They are in the top league in Scotland and they have recently had a very good track record. A lot of young managers will view it as an opportunity. One of the things about Motherwell is the people. I don't mean to sound sycophantic. They are very down-to-earth, it's old-fashioned in that respect as a football club.

"They are people who do more than the call of duty, they do more than they get paid for, they do things for nothing, they have been there for a long time, they are still a traditional club like that. And they get behind their managers. I mean the staff and the board and so on, they get fully behind their managers.

"That's a great thing. The next manager will feel that there is support and enthusiasm for him."

Considering the number of applications from the fraternity, the enthusiasm is two-way.

• Like 1

The single biggest thing in tbat interview for me was saying the board intended to use the international break to identify candidates and interview them! So were stuck with Kenny Black for a 2 week break ffs

We have 40 applicants,surely we could shortlist them by tomorrow and interview over the weekend/start of nxt wk then choose ,giving the new guy 10 days with the squad before a competetive match?

I didn't like Peter Grant as a player but I didn't like Terry Butcher as a player either, or Kenny Black for that matter.

It would be pretty pathetic if he was the best candidate and he wasn't given the job because of perceived bigotries in the support.

And I'm not saying for a minute that he is the best candidate because I don't know who all the candidates are but you just sense there is still this sectarian dinosaur element in our support who wouldn't accept him from the get go despite him having quite a lot of experience down south - West Ham, Norwich, WBA, Birmingham, Nottingham Forest - and on the face of it being a decent candidate.

We are a dead man walking right now, we can't afford to rule out any one for anything other than football reasons.

• Like 3

The single biggest thing in tbat interview for me was saying the board intended to use the international break to identify candidates and interview them! So were stuck with Kenny Black for a 2 week break ffs

We have 40 applicants,surely we could shortlist them by tomorrow and interview over the weekend/start of nxt wk then choose ,giving the new guy 10 days with the squad before a competetive match?

There is no need to rush this decision. We have Dundee Utd, then it's an international break, then we are away to Inverness.

We should be aiming to have someone in before the Dundee Utd cup tie but that's 3 weeks away. We've got 2 - 3 weeks to do our homework and make the right decision.

It could be the survival of the club depends on it.

we just got rid of a manager who sent a team out to get gubbed by rangers to help his mate's goal difference a few years ago.

it would be nice to have someone who wasn't in thrall to either side of the old firm and they don't come much more old firm minded than peter grant.

That is an astounding accusation, although coming from you perhaps not quite so....

You are basically accusing McCall of sending a team out to lose heavily, and the team carrying out his wishes? Match fixing then...

Even for you that is a new level of baseless nonsense.

I didn't like Peter Grant as a player but I didn't like Terry Butcher as a player either, or Kenny Black for that matter.

It would be pretty pathetic if he was the best candidate and he wasn't given the job because of perceived bigotries in the support.

And I'm not saying for a minute that he is the best candidate because I don't know who all the candidates are but you just sense there is still this sectarian dinosaur element in our support who wouldn't accept him from the get go despite him having quite a lot of experience down south - West Ham, Norwich, WBA, Birmingham, Nottingham Forest - and on the face of it being a decent candidate.

We are a dead man walking right now, we can't afford to rule out any one for anything other than football reasons.

Cracking post

Bet your life on it...

rex___disney_heroes_art_jam_by_nala15-d5ueuvb.png

Rex says No Surrender! to that Peter the pointer, Shettleston Harrier, pseudo-Irish, bog dwelling, ambulance chasing Earl Haig.

• Like 4

That is an astounding accusation, although coming from you perhaps not quite so....

You are basically accusing McCall of sending a team out to lose heavily, and the team carrying out his wishes? Match fixing then...

Even for you that is a new level of baseless nonsense.

when the manager 'rests' half the first choice defence for a game against rangers it raises an eyebrow.

when you are three nil down and taking a pummelling and the manager takes off lasley and leaves on steve jones who is knackered and hasn't bothered to track back once in the full second half it looks dodgy. rangers tore us to shreds that day yet we were playing near enough 4-2-4 at the end.

the game where mcculloch scored the winner at the end was also questionable to me. 89 minutes without a sub when the team were dead on their feet? that was also the day of the masonic handshake.

• Like 1

when the manager 'rests' half the first choice defence for a game against rangers it raises an eyebrow.

when you are three nil down and taking a pummelling and the manager takes off lasley and leaves on steve jones who is knackered and hasn't bothered to track back once in the full second half it looks dodgy. rangers tore us to shreds that day yet we were playing near enough 4-2-4 at the end.

the game where mcculloch scored the winner at the end was also questionable to me. 89 minutes without a sub when the team were dead on their feet? that was also the day of the masonic handshake.

So you are actually accusing him of match fixing?

You really do take grudges to a whole new level....