The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

It's illegal to ask someone about their health during a job interview in the UK.

That's an obvious one. Also, obvious I am not conducting an interview.....nor said we should be asking at interview.

So, again, what's the problem with us speculating about it?

Also, you can ask for consent to see medical reports if it is in connection with the employment or insurance. I would think that if you are aware of someone with heart issues, brought on by the same job, it would make sense to seek that consent and reassurance for both parties.

That's an obvious one. Also, obvious I am not conducting an interview.....nor said we should be asking at interview.

So, again, what's the problem with us speculating about it?

Also, you can ask for consent to see medical reports if it is in connection with the employment or insurance. I would think that if you are aware of someone with heart issues, brought on by the same job, it would make sense to seek that consent and reassurance for both parties.

You know absolutly nothing about his health conditions and what caused it so how can you say it was brought on by the job?

If it's illegal to ask health questions, how come you often have to fill in a medical questionnaire when applying for some jobs? Also how can some jobs be offered "subject to passing a medical"?

Employers have rights too and guarding against employing someone who is unfit (for whatever reason) is only sensible. I'm sure I remember having to agree to provide additional medical info / allow access to medical records / attend a medical, if required, when filling out applications. No consent and the application is rejected. Maybe you cannot be quizzed during the actual interview but checks can be carried out.

Fair point...I did mean to type 'may have been' actually. The only thing we do know is he had a heart attack during a game while he was a manager.

Without wishing to get embroiled in a huge debate all I am saying is that it's something to look at from both his point of view and ours. Is that such a bad thing? Its the surely the sensible thing to do to protect both him and us?

Like I said before, I am not interviewing the man so don't need to tip toe round legislation....speculation is all we have had 44 pages here chaps.

If it's illegal to ask health questions, how come you often have to fill in a medical questionnaire when applying for some jobs? Also how can some jobs be offered "subject to passing a medical"?

Employers have rights too and guarding against employing someone who is unfit (for whatever reason) is only sensible. I'm sure I remember having to agree to provide additional medical info / allow access to medical records / attend a medical, if required, when filling out applications. No consent and the application is rejected. Maybe you cannot be quizzed during the actual interview but checks can be carried out.

I dealt with this in work when the equality act changed in 2010

You are not allowed to ask questions related to health in an interview unless you can prove they relate to carrying out essential tasks within the job.

However you can seek medical health info and carry out screening once a shortlist has been drawn up or you have made an offer to a candidate.

I dealt with this in work when the equality act changed in 2010

You are not allowed to ask questions related to health in an interview unless you can prove they relate to carrying out essential tasks within the job.

However you can seek medical health info and carry out screening once a shortlist has been drawn up or you have made an offer to a candidate.

Not that I'm advocating ignoring a guy if the doctors say he is healthy enough to work, but it does sound scary:

"For now I'm going to stop working and I will solve my problem. I will do everything to come back as soon as possible," he said.

"I'm alive today, it was a very violent thing that happened on Saturday. I have had a heart problem for some time, before arriving at Belenenses, I have a pacemaker and a (internal) defibrillator.

"On Saturday, during the game I felt bad and I received two shocks and the device saved my life.

"For now I'm going to stop working because life is more important. My doctor is now my coach."

I hope I am wrong but I'm not convinced by Van Der Gaag, I honestly don't see his past experiences/contacts in Portugal being of great advantage to us for various reasons.

If we do start bringing in players from Portugal, how will they settle into life in Scotland, language barriers etc? We haven't got time on our hands to bed these guys into the team due to a possible relegation battle on our hands. We wouldn't be able to bring in South American players as easily as they do in Portugal due to UK immigration laws.

Lets be honest, our market for signing players is from British &Irish clubs, that's unlikely to change with VDG in charge or not. Say what you like about Jim Gannon's time in charge but his transfer policy and giving youth a chance is our way forward and I think the fella Barraclough is best suited to oversee it.

Quite a few on here with a 'short term gain for long term pain' attitude (which is what a rushed appointment would be).

I'm glad the club have seen the bigger picture and taken time with this. We've got a history of very shrewd appointments and it would be a mistake to allow a couple of up and coming games to influence this process, especially when we've still got 60 odd points to play for.

Honestly wouldn't bother me if it was another week before this was announced. Then again, I've got more confidence than some people in Black's ability to pick up results over the next two weekends.

I've got more confidence than some people in Black's ability to pick up results over the next two weekends.

I have absolutely none unfortunately. He was the first team coach under McCall and must accept a large portion of the blame for the poor fitness and form of the players. I don't expect us to get anymore points under his leadership at all and would be shocked to even get a point against the next 3 teams with him in charge. dry.gif

• Like 2