The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

BBC Gossip

Former Watford head coach Billy McKinlay, former Celtic and West Brom assistant Mark Venus, former Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo, former Stevenage boss Gary Smith and former Iceland coach Atli Evaldsson have put their names forward to succeed Stuart McCall at Motherwell

BBC Gossip

Former Watford head coach Billy McKinlay, former Celtic and West Brom assistant Mark Venus, former Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo, former Stevenage boss Gary Smith and former Iceland coach Atli Evaldsson have put their names forward to succeed Stuart McCall at Motherwell

Well, most of them fit the leftfield criteria...

• Like 2

I'd take Butcher back, but he said he was finished with Scottish football after the hibs debacle.

(Could be put off by it being worryingly similar circumstances at fir park too)

Of all the names mentioned, Billy Mckinlay and George Burley are 2 that are probably not too unrealistic, available and I think could be good.

Serious Question, what does Scott Leitch actually do at Fir Park?

What his duties are etc.? I would be very interested to know.

As for manager, I have said before and will say it again, we need someone who represents a new era at the club - a new way of playing football, producing youth talent, expectations on players etc.

It could be an exciting time however I will be gutted should we select someone who has managed Motherwell or any other side in the SPL before... we need new ideas.

I genuinely think we shouldn't be looking at past managers at all...something new, something fresh! As for the others:

Billy Davies - See above point, plus him reportedly paying his brother top dollar first time round. He was gaffer that sent us to administration.

Scott Leitch - No. Even if a percentage of the rumours are true about his manner with palyers, he shouldn't be allowed within a mile of the post.

Derek Adam - No chance. Done well at County first time round with a MASSIVE budget. He was a shite player for us and having met him he is not a pleasant individual at all. Would be the worst appointment possible!!

Owen Coyle - Doubt he'd come to us, and questions over his ability after his job at Bolton and Wigan.

McKinlay would be a great shout, as would Malky Makay and Dougie Freedman - but doubt any of them would be within our means. I firmly expect it to be someone who hasn't even been mentioned on this thread.

I genuinely don't mind if the new manager has managed us or managed in the SPL before. If he's the right man for the job, he's the right man for the job.

Looking for several things

-Ability to work with a tiny budget.

-Track record of developing young players.

-Eye for a player playing in the lower leagues in Scotland that can step up.

-Ability to tighten up a defence

I know, not asking for much...

I do hope McKinlay gets an interview. After his time at Watford, had a wee read up on him and he certainly looks to be a good coach who will likely have a good grasp of the younger players available down south courtesy of his time with Fulham.

Wonder if him and Craigan crossed paths while they were both involved in the NI setup for a brief spell.

There's no chance it would be Davies, he's Billy big baws now there's no way he'd take a step back into the SPFL and why would we want a manager back when he almost got us relegated last time. :blink:

Surely Butcher is the only sensible choice, he's got experience, good motivator, did ok with what he had last time and he's unemployed.

Yeah, and if Falkirk had a stadium back then....

I'd take Butcher back, but he said he was finished with Scottish football after the hibs debacle.

(Could be put off by it being worryingly similar circumstances at fir park too)

Of all the names mentioned, Billy Mckinlay and George Burley are 2 that are probably not too unrealistic, available and I think could be good.

Butcher was the right man at the right time for us, mostly for the way he dealt with things off the park. The 2nd half of his tenure was pretty poor on the field. I'm also still amazed at what an easy ride he is given by fans concerning his departure, especially with all the hate doled out to McGhee and Brown for the way they handled their exits.

Seems like most folks have forgotten the porkies told at the time.

• Like 1

Butcher was the right man at the right time for us, mostly for the way he dealt with things off the park. The 2nd half of his tenure was pretty poor on the field. I'm also still amazed at what an easy ride he is given by fans concerning his departure, especially with all the hate doled out to McGhee and Brown for the way they handled their exits.

Seems like most folks have forgotten the porkies told at the time.

I must admit, I have.

I remember it that he got offered the Sydney job, and it was a good opportunity, that I didn't grudge him, didn't work out for him in the end mind you.

Don't remember it leaving a sour taste like McGhee or brown. Probably in part due to Sydney not being a direct rival?

Steve Lomas did a good job with a limited budget at St Johnstone, Didn't work out for him at Millwall but they seem to go through a few managers there. Imagine he'll still have a lot of contacts from his time as a player and coach in England.

Unemployed so no compensation payment either.