The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

Anyone got any real thoughts on this Ian Cathro guy? McBookie saying on their Twitter page they've taken some bets for him and he's into 5th

I've seen the BBC article on him http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29463560 - whilst a bit young it might be the leftfield signing we're looking at.

Plenty of cash, a talented squad of players, regular later stages of European competitions,lots of warm sunshine at Valencia..or no money,an average limited squad, a relegation fight and the wet and miserable lanarkshire climate...

That will be a tough decision for him

Plenty of cash, a talented squad of players, regular later stages of European competitions,lots of warm sunshine at Valencia..or no money,an average limited squad, a relegation fight and the wet and miserable lanarkshire climate...

That will be a tough decision for him

But…we've got Dom Thomas!

All joking aside, Cathro could be a brilliant appointment. Can't see it though, sadly.

Butcher is a slow starter, we don't need that.

McLean still thinks you buy and sell players, we don't need that either.

Anyone who's managed a team in Scotland that isn't Motherwell.... nah.

Did Wee Tam no manage Dundee Utd post Bosman ?

I seem to remember him bringing in three Scandanavians (one was Kjell Olafsson) and doing Ok. At the same time, McGinger-baws was bringing in Franz Resch and Mario Doerner and some northern European centre back that kept getting sent off before he got sent packing.

I haven't really paid attention to Billy Starks performances with under 21s, but when someone resigns from a safe job when theres another job available......

Of course, it might just be coincidence

wild shot in dark....

maybe he disliked a change that the national manager was going to implement, after all a guy wee Strachan rates highly has just been made available

You can guarantee it will be no one that has been mentioned.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I suspect those who will make the decision recognise that at our core and to ensure sustainability we have to buy cheap or produce our own and sell high. We've successfully not done that while others around us have. Accies, Dundee Utd, etc. have repeatedly actioned astute bits of scouting and airtight contracts and won't be unnoticed by the board.

Therefore I suspect the successor will either bank of their personal drawing power or have extensive knowledge in how to foster/where to source, cheap players that have potential. Also if they can demonstrate how they've turned a team round and pulled them up by the laces even better.

But lets not overlook they can't receive a huge salary so its maybe someone who is trying to rebuild a reputation or been highly rated so far but in obscurity or off our radar.

Where the club needs to do its homework and essentially a bit of luck is to avoid a Pat Fenlon, on paper pretty good at a lower level, step up was to much though.

One thing I'm sure of, it won't be someone on the Scottish football merry-go-round.

I genuinely think the club has started to look at 5-10 year plans over short termism, however lets be clear we still have to get safe this year. We do have the players when I look at the other squads, just not the cohesion, pace and belief as yet.

NB I can't see Josh Law kicking a ball again this season

• Like 3

1415145455[/url]' post='424664']

I'm inclined to agree with this. I suspect those who will make the decision recognise that at our core and to ensure sustainability we have to buy cheap or produce our own and sell high. We've successfully not done that while others around us have. Accies, Dundee Utd, etc. have repeatedly actioned astute bits of scouting and airtight contracts and won't be unnoticed by the board.

Therefore I suspect the successor will either bank of their personal drawing power or have extensive knowledge in how to foster/where to source, cheap players that have potential. Also if they can demonstrate how they've turned a team round and pulled them up by the laces even better.

But lets not overlook they can't receive a huge salary so its maybe someone who is trying to rebuild a reputation or been highly rated so far but in obscurity or off our radar.

Where the club needs to do its homework and essentially a bit of luck is to avoid a Pat Fenlon, on paper pretty good at a lower level, step up was to much though.

One thing I'm sure of, it won't be someone on the Scottish football merry-go-round.

I genuinely think the club has started to look at 5-10 year plans over short termism, however lets be clear we still have to get safe this year. We do have the players when I look at the other squads, just not the cohesion, pace and belief as yet.

NB I can't see Josh Law kicking a ball again this season

Re josh Law, hopefully everyone gets a chance to see what they can do under new management

There are a few , I don't rate too highly e.g Carswell, Kerr, but they are young guys and like Law deserve the chance to show what they can or can't do

Stark doesn't inspire me at all - but rather him than Adam, Leitch, Calderwood, Butcher, etc for the simple reason is he should have good contacts from his U21 post.

Another name I'm going to throw out - Kenny Shields. Yes didn't set the world alight at Morton, but work he done at Kilmarnock always impressed me and he has a firm philosophy of developing youth players. The way he communicates is always excellent too.

Today's BBC Gossip page with a few titbits on our likely new manager

Billy Stark was immediately installed as the 6-4 favourite to become the new manager of Motherwell following Stuart McCall's departure on Sunday after the former Queen's Park boss quit as Scotland Under-21 coach. (The Scotsman)

Exiting Scotland Under-21 coach Billy Stark has had his name put forward for the Motherwell manager's job, but the club will not make their choice until next week and Fulham Under-21 coach Peter Grant, former Ross County boss Derek Adams and former St Mirren manager Danny Lennon are others interested. (The Sun, print edition)

Scotland assistant manager Mark McGhee has ruled out a return to Motherwell to succeed Stuart McCall, who resigned on Sunday.(Daily Express, print edition)

Re josh Law, hopefully everyone gets a chance to see what they can do under new management

There are a few , I don't rate too highly e.g Carswell, Kerr, but they are young guys and like Law deserve the chance to show what they can or can't do

I agree, I hope he does get his chance. However don't be naive to the reason he jumped from obscurity to the SPFL runners up can only be down to his family association with SMcC and he's got his P45.