When Will We See His Like Again!

yorkshireclaret

why? You are deluded my friend if you think we have not punched way way above our weight since his arrival.

You see its statements like that, the so called football managers of this site that think they know best. Hey you dont speek for the thousands of lurkers who come on here for a giggle at some of the crap that is posted. Sometimes I wonder if it is really Well fans that populate on here by some of the remarks!

why? You are deluded my friend if you think we have not punched way way above our weight since his arrival.

You see its statements like that, the so called football managers of this site that think they know best. Hey you dont speek for the thousands of lurkers who come on here for a giggle at some of the crap that is posted. Sometimes I wonder if it is really Well fans that populate on here by some of the remarks!

When people use this phrase "punch above our weight" they make it sound like the SPL/SPFL was chock full of great teams that we miraculously out performed somehow.

I'd defy anyone to say we didn't have at Top 4 playing staff, at the very least, through all those high finishes.

• Like 7

Totally agree. It's the "punching above our weight" mentality that has led a to few poor performances in Cups when we play the "big" teams.

If we won the league, then maybe there would be an argument to use that phrase, buta part from that, there isn't much to choose between the non-OF teams except depth of squad.

Depends how you devine it. Average Attendance, Turnover, etc we're rather lower middle order, and can say the fact we are an established top flight club, when you see the teams around us have faired nowhere as well in the league.

In recent times we are the top 3 side, with two second places finishes and two further no lower than third in the last 10 years.

In the history of the SPL, only three clubs seen better overall points total than us, two of them are now in a lower league - granted, we have had luck in forms of teams unable to follow rules etc. but that is neither here nor there.

The fact we have had a top 4 squad the last few years despite there being bigger clubs in the top league than us is testament to great choice of managers at the dead end of the SPL, beginning of the SPFL

Totally agree. It's the "punching above our weight" mentality that has led a to few poor performances in Cups when we play the "big" teams.

If we won the league, then maybe there would be an argument to use that phrase, buta part from that, there isn't much to choose between the non-OF teams except depth of squad.

Don't really follow that one (having to win the league). If there really isn't much to choose between the "rest" then how come we have bested them the last 3 years running?

If the same thing happened in the EPL you'd see a club like Fulham (at a guess 2/3rds of the way down the pecking order, like ourselves) finishing runners up in successive seasons. I couldn't see anyone viewing that as anything other than remarkable.

• Like 1

Don't really follow that one (having to win the league). If there really isn't much to choose between the "rest" then how come we have bested them the last 3 years running?

If the same thing happened in the EPL you'd see a club like Fulham (at a guess 2/3rds of the way down the pecking order, like ourselves) finishing runners up in successive seasons. I couldn't see anyone viewing that as anything other than remarkable.

We have bested them, because we played well as a team, had more consistent performances from players with similar talent to the other teams, and had a big slice of luck when it came to injuries and suspensions.

The same team that got us to 2nd place last season is now struggling to avoid relegation. That is how slim the margins are and how closely the teams are matched.

• Like 1

We have bested them, because we played well as a team, had more consistent performances from players with similar talent to the other teams, and had a big slice of luck when it came to injuries and suspensions.

The same team that got us to 2nd place last season is now struggling to avoid relegation. That is how slim the margins are and how closely the teams are matched.

cant agree! Season after season we have replaced like for like. This season no one replaced Hutchison. O'Brien wages dictates he should be nothing more than a squad player same as Law. We even have squad players holding down Ist team positions due to a limited squad.

If for example we were a United or Aberdeen, do you think Sutton, Lasley, McManus would not be dropped? Unfortunate for us they cant be dropped as even when playing at 60% they are still better that anything in our squad. To perform like we have done in past seasons requires a Limited squad giving 100%. Sadly we never saw that this year for McCall.

Edited by yorkshireclaret

As I have posted in another topic although I wasn't Stuart McCall's biggest fan I do believe that in terms of league performances, this season excepted, he is the best manager we have had at FP since the halcyon days of the 1930s under old Sailor Hunter.

And I still think he got a poor deal from the club in that every season he improved us and took us into the Champions League and yet he was rewarded every season with cuts to his playing budget. And he was one of the most loyal and honourable managers we have ever had and in the modern football era these are rare and valuable traits.

I'm really sorry that it went pete tong for him this season and I really hope he gets back into football management sooner rather than later. Thanks for some truly unforgettable memories Stuart. I fear we will not experience these again.

• Like 2

cant agree!

Fair enough.

If for example we were a United or Aberdeen, do you think Sutton, Lasley, McManus would not be dropped? Unfortunate for us they cant be dropped as even when playing at 60% they are still better that anything in our squad. To perform like we have done in past seasons requires a Limited squad giving 100%. Sadly we never saw that this year for McCall.

But is looks like you are agreeing with me.

Yes, I'm clearly the deluded one here. Not you comparing him to a national hero.

• Like 1

cant agree! Season after season we have replaced like for like. This season no one replaced Hutchison. O'Brien wages dictates he should be nothing more than a squad player same as Law. We even have squad players holding down Ist team positions due to a limited squad.

Can't agree with your example of Sutton. Erwin has played two games up front - St Mirren & County, the rest of the games he has been shunted to wide areas or attacking midfielder (Accies) therefore it would be interesting to see if Erwin could do better than Sutton if allowed to, especially given the amount of game time Sutton has had this season.

so you think o'brien on loan from derby is on the same wages as josh law from the alfreton and that we used our final signing to bring in cover for a position we already had 4 first team players able to play?

Jesus, you'd be fekin awesome on catchphrase

I thought it was monkey nuts

• Like 1

. O'Brien wages dictates he should be nothing more than a squad player same as Law. We even have squad players holding down Ist team positions due to a limited squad.

Just back on dry land again, not going to go ott re SM going, he did well for us but imho his time was up. It's a hard game and results dictate the way a club functions sadly.

Re O'Brien, what exactly are you banging on about ? The club will only be paying an agreed percentage of his wage as negotiated with his parent club.

I would imagine the only reason is he is here is because Derby were happy to keep paying the biggest part of his wage rather than the usual 50% as a favour to us.

Matters not a jot whether he's on £10 or £10,000.