Nobby Solano And A London Based Consortium

Welldel

Or a Romanov type money laundering venture. Anyone who thinks they can make money owning MFC must have an ulterior motive.

While I agree with you, theres no money to be made conventionally, if, they had a steady stream of reasonably gifted South American players and were succesful in using us as a staging post for getting them into the EPL, there could be decent money there. Obviously dependant upon the quality of the players. Remember South American football is not run the same way as it is here. Very often players are owned by individuals or groups of individuals. See Tevez!

Why not, as it does not look like the WS will come up with the cash to buy the club, and even if they did would there be any future investment ? So if we have a group wanting to buy the club, invest some cash, bring in some players (who may be pish but, there may be another Messi, or maradonna among them) and give the club some financial security then why not.

However all that said, look at the state Sevco have ended up in after 2 or 3 years of various individuals and consortiums trying to get control, so a cautious approach is needed

Seem to recall a deal at Airdrie/ Livingston a few years ago now involving Stevie Archibald & loads of Spanish players. He made his money showcasing talent & selling them on - a winger to Dundee Utd then Celtic (Fernandez?) & the keeper who ended up at Celtic (Sanchez?). It has been done but not how I want my club run, thanks very much

As long as any money made from these players, at least a good portion of it, is reinvested In the the club I'm fine with this. My fear would be they take all the money and run up debts that they have no intention of paying, pissing off and leaving the fans to sort the mess, like we have seen at many clubs throughout the years.

Seem to recall a deal at Airdrie/ Livingston a few years ago now involving Stevie Archibald & loads of Spanish players. He made his money showcasing talent & selling them on - a winger to Dundee Utd then Celtic (Fernandez?) & the keeper who ended up at Celtic (Sanchez?). It has been done but not how I want my club run, thanks very much

Airdrie went bust within 12 months of Archibald leaving.

Most of the players ended up at Livi.

Airdrie went bust within 12 months of Archibald leaving.

Most of the players ended up at Livi.

As I said Steelboy, not how I want my club run & hopefully the sensible members who make up our board consider the lessons of history, especially ones that close to home

Or a Romanov type money laundering venture. Anyone who thinks they can make money owning MFC must have an ulterior motive.

This is off the top of my head and I might not have all the facts right but lots of investment companies made a lot of money out of buying 'shares' of players and then coining in when the player was sold on.

If I remember there was a case with FC Porto when a player was sold for big money and almost all of that cash went to third party investors who had 'shares' in the player. The investors pay money that the clubs couldn't normally afford but when the player is sold the transfer fee goes to the investors. So the investors are essentially providing high quality players for free or at low cost in exchange for a big lump sum from a future transfer deal.

I believe FIFA have now made this illegal or are in the process of doing so and I hardly think that those same people who have been doing quite well out of this are going to pack up their bags and go and do something else. They will be looking for loop holes.

Could it be that a club going cheap, in a fairly high profile league, right next to the greatest cash cow league in the world, would make for a decent investment for these same people? After all if they own the club, who own the players they can get round the third party investment rules.

Just a thought.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/26/sepp-blatter-fifa-ban-third-party-ownership

that scenario popped into my head because i read the above article a while ago but it seems more like years than months to get rid of third party ownership and everything blatter says is untrustworthy anyway.

potentially becoming a foreign owned club which exists to showcase south american players is a pretty radical step, it would be nice to know who would decide if this goes through.

Strongly suspect this would be a whole lot less fun than it sounds. If the point of the whole venture is to sell on players, rather than to prioritise the interests of the club, we are unlikely to find ourselves as a strong and consistent team. There is also a large risk that if the whole venture does not turn out to be profitable, as most business ventures don't, we could be left for dead as the investors cut their losses.

Not sure how plausible the whole thing is but, it would certainly explain the WT email. I like the idea the whole thing spread from some nonsense rumours on these pages, and swept through the national press. And I hear a consortium of marginally successful football figures from a bygone era intend to buy the club to showcase stupid ideas - Tommy Maclean to be installed as manager if the deal goes through.

Here's a Well Society statement. promsie to answer questions in the very near future, including yours Steelboy, but things very delicate just now and don't want to jeopardise anything. hopefully this provides some answers to go on with

We are doing everything possible to help finalise a deal which would stabilise Motherwell FC’s finances and ultimately hand control of the club to supporters.

The proposed deal is complicated and we are trying to help find a way to satisfy the need to commit ongoing funds from Well Society members and new recruits.

We had an excellent response to our recent plea for help to keep the club in the hands of Motherwell fans and are hopeful we can find a way to bring the discussions to a positive conclusion.

Time is of the essence though.

We hope to be able to be in a position to share all the details with members as soon as possible and will be looking for endorsement for the plans.

At the minute, negotiations are ongoing and have been regularly updating throughout today, so it is difficult to share too much information. We promise to do so when we can, and hopefully very soon.

As we have said before, our aims are first and foremost to stabilise the club’s finances and keep the ownership of the club in the hands of Motherwell fans, and also to keep alive the goal of supporters owning the club.

We are doing everything we can to make sure that the club is in the hands of people who have its best interests at heart.

On another note, some reports today stated that we needed to hit the £800,000 mark by the end of this month to keep alive our goal. That was initially the case – but we were told last month that it would take more money than that.

We have been offered enough help, but it is now down to the details of satisfying John Boyle, the club board, our financial backers and, of course, ultimately, Well Society members.

We will update as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your support and patience.

Brian McCafferty

Well Society acting chairman

• Like 1

This is a tad surreal.

Is the prospect of an agreement between Nobby and Boyle so close that fans are lending £10k+ on mass?

If there is constant negotiation between multiple parties, how can we can genuinely be looking to recruit a new manager at present?

By the way, I'm afraid the 'statement' is a panic ridden ramble.

• Like 1