Motherwell V Ross County 13/12/14

Yabba's Turd

66 points still on the table. Not a must win. (but it would be nice)

Depends what you mean by must win. It's not going to relegate us if we lose these matches but if we want don't want to be immersed in a desperate relegation struggle all season we probably do need to win these.

Remember we have lost 7 out of the last 8 league matches and 8 out of 9 overall. If we lost these up coming matches then it would be 9 out of 10 (or 10 out of 11 overall) and not many teams do that and stay in the league because that is rock solid relegation form even at this stage in the season.

I do think we have played much better since McCall stepped down and I'm going into these games with improved confidence in the team but Ross County are also improved and St. Mirren might get a lift with Craig being punted so I don't think these matches will be a stroll by any means. I'm hopeful we can do what we need to do though.

Depends what you mean by must win. It's not going to relegate us if we lose these matches but if we want don't want to be immersed in a desperate relegation struggle all season we probably do need to win these.

Remember we have lost 7 out of the last 8 league matches and 8 out of 9 overall. If we lost these up coming matches then it would be 9 out of 10 (or 10 out of 11 overall) and not many teams do that and stay in the league because that is rock solid relegation form even at this stage in the season.

I do think we have played much better since McCall stepped down and I'm going into these games with improved confidence in the team but Ross County are also improved and St. Mirren might get a lift with Craig being punted so I don't think these matches will be a stroll by any means. I'm hopeful we can do what we need to do though.

While all that is correct, we have only really been outclassed by Celtic for the first 20 minutes and a 10 minute spell after the red card.

Even in that game, we almost nicked a point. As I often said on our good runs, there is nothing between 2nd and 12th other than a break of the ball, a piece of genius, a refereeing decision and the resulting confidence boost that allows you to kick on.

I don't think we're actually much worse than last year, and just need some luck, a dodgy penalty, a piece of individual brilliance or just a dug out scrappy victory to turn our season around.

I'm looking at our next 4 games, and I could see us take all 12 points, but also 1 point.

So many games over the last 3 seasons we've scrapped out results we probably didn't deserve or end up winning a game fairly comfortably after getting some early breaks.

Even in that game, we almost nicked a point. As I often said on our good runs, there is nothing between 2nd and 12th other than a break of the ball, a piece of genius, a refereeing decision and the resulting confidence boost that allows you to kick on.

That is utter nonsense.

The idea that there was nothing between our teams in 2011/12 and 12/13 and the Dunfermline and Dundee sides that got relegated is miles out. We played Dunfermline three times and beat them 9-3 which doesn't even tell half the story about how much better we were.

it's clear that so far this season us, st mirren and ross county (combined goal difference -51) are easily the three weakest teams.

• Like 1

Since he was firing off tweets this morning at around half two perhaps it's safe to assume Craig Reid is one of those who will be absent.

I'm feeling more optimistic than nervy this morning as I type. Missed last weekend but a repeat of the application and desire that was evident in the two Dundee Utd games would I think go some way to helping us get a result today.

Motherwell by a goal.

“@MotherwellFC: Motherwell: Twardzik, Carswell, McManus, Sutton, Vigurs, Lasley, O'Brien, Francis-Angol, Law, Ojamaa, Ferguson #MFCvRCFC”

“@MotherwellFC: Motherwell subs: Nielsen, Ainsworth, Erwin, Thomas, Neill, Cadden, MacLean #MFCvRCFC”

Had Erwin for goals today,

County were the much better team throughout but it's still an absolute sickener.

First 45 is among the worst 45 I can ever remember seeing. The work ethic, composure, desire and ability has not improved or increased at any point over the season.

Ainsworth may occasionally offer something going forward but is also one of the main reasons we lost the equaliser. Time and time again he chose the wrong option in the final 3rd.

Ferguson had a man running at him with no support for the last 30 minutes! Sutton may have scored but again offered nothing. Angol?! Just wow! I play 5's with better players.

Massive missed opportunity to give ourselves some breathing space and it was blown collectively and by the continual underperformaning of individuals.

I seen nothing today to suggest we are still anything other than completely fucked.

• Like 1

Well at least we aren't worse off than before and put another point between us and St. Mirren. However the new managers has a big job ahead of him.

First half was absolutely woeful. I've not seen many more depressing 45 minutes at Fir Park. The entire team was shitting it at home from the bottom of the league team. Absolutely no ambition to even try and get forward, just play hoff ball and try and keep it 0-0. AGAINST THE BOTTOM TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. AGAINST A TEAM WE COULD HAVE GONE 5 POINTS AHEAD IF WE WON.

For me, the attitude of the players was very, very depressing. Everything was flat and there wasn't any belief around the place. From the very poor and quiet support, on the field from the players. Nothing. Ross County unlike us, took the game to us and scored and deserved to score.

Second half Ainsworth made a huge difference. Suddenly we had an out ball and someone with pace to take the ball out of our half. Suddenly we looked like a team and might have scored a few more but as the game got closer to full time we went back into our shell, absolutely terrified of losing another goal, which of course we did because once that mentality gets hold of players its almost inevitable.

Overall we didn't deserve to win and I am quite disturbed by many aspects of that performance. Not too many strong characters out there.