St.mirren V Motherwell 20/12/14

Yabba's Turd

I thought Ferguson looked hopelessly out of his depth last week.

I'm all for giving youth a chance but yes you're right, if a tad harsh. This was the surprise selection for me. Still an injury to ZFA didn't help.

Make no mistake this was Kenny Black's team with a bit of fine tuning from the boss. Now he can start to form opinions for himself.

Over the piece a great result and thats was the important thing today. Our new man has got off to a winning start. We have to be a bit wary of BBC comments on the game as St Mirren tend to be media favourites. Given their luck against us last season I'll take any good fortune that comes our way. We were due it.

A win. That is all.

We were very comfortable in possession, Same old problem of penetration and final ball though.

He wasnt afraid to change it and made sensible subs.

Only shot on targat was goal I think, but we largely controlled 2nd half, which was to be expected.

Obviously way to early to judge Baraclough, but made sensible subs/alterations and seemed to have some organisation.

Interesting. Clearly Bara is big on pressing when possession lost, ball retention and building from the back. Becomes frustrating though when the opposition sit back owing to being down to 10, and we try and play through them. Patience was rewarded though with probably one of our few decent chances, ball in behind full back to Law, great ball into the channel of uncertainty and big Sutty showing his predatorial instincts to slot it away.

Though Law was decent, Ojamma was dropping way to deep/central at times, and our balls out wide were of the Hollywood variety, as in straight to DVD not Oscar-winning. Good to see changes when needed.

Take the three points though and look forward to how things pan out when Bara starts tweaking the squad.

Well it wasn't pretty and it wasn't even deserved but we got the three points and that's all that really matters because we've opened a wee gap up on the bottom two now and hopefully we can move forward from here.

In terms of performance it was very similar to the Ross County match. The team looked very nervous and inhibited and it was obvious players were lacking confidence and didn't want to make mistakes, which is of course when players do make mistakes.

We created very little and I thought that the team Baraclough put out didn't really work. Ainsworth looked very uncomfortable down the left and didn't have much impact on the match, and Reid behind him was also playing on his wrong foot which didn't help. As a result we didn't get any width down the left hand side. Likewise there was a problem on the right. Ferguson is a rookie and can be excused but he sat very deep and was obviously worried about leaving a space behind him when we really need our full backs getting us up the field. In front of him Josh Law offered nothing in terms of giving us an attacking right wing option. As a result we were getting bogged down in a congested middle area and created next to nothing.

The most obvious talking point in the first half was the Thompson red card. It was a bad tackle but I was surprised when the referee gave a straight red. He may have been right or wrong to do so because I didn't get a good enough view of it to say one way or the other but Alan Muir's overall performance was terrible. He made mistakes all afternoon and it really takes a special kind of ineptitude to stick out as bad among the throng of referees that we have currently.

Second half St.Mirren went closest to scoring when they hit the bar and it came down off/in front/behind the line. Impossible to tell from the far end but we definitely got luck one way or the other as it looked a goal all the way until it crashed off the bar. However that was really St. Mirren's best chance and they had no real cutting edge. The main problem wasn't so much St. Mirren creating chances as much as us not creating anything ourselves although we did improve slightly with the two half time substitutions. However the best (only?) move of the match got us the goal. A great wee triangle move between Ojamaa, Law and Sutton.

I've given Sutton some stick this season but that's two huge goals he's scored for us in two weeks.

After we scored St.Mirren's heads went down and they looked rattled and I though we might get a second but it wasn't to be and we were under a little bit of pressure in the final moments but nothing too hair raising.

Overall 3 points were crucial and more important than a good performance. It's just disappointing we were only one kick away from getting the full 6 points out of these two matches but at least we have something to build on now and I think, well hope, that playing teams outside the bottom 2 will see the team loosen up a bit, take some pressure off them so they don't look so frightened to play football.

well we were pretty poor and that was nervy as f**k! Three points is three points though. The ref was dire for both sides! good to see Erwin coming on, Baraclough wasnt afraid to shake things up when they werent working. I think its time Keith took a backseat though...all he did today was slow moves down everytime. Cant wait to have Hammell back at left back too! Oh and Lionel isnt a left winger!!

I think its time Keith took a backseat though...all he did today was slow moves down everytime. Cant wait to have Hammell back at left back too! Oh and Lionel isnt a left winger!!

To be fair I think nearly every player in the team slows things down. They all want an extra touch, they all want to pick a pass, when good football is played instinctively. Because no one wants to make THE mistake they are all playing it safe and as a result we don't create anything because the play is too slow. Lasley is certainly guilty of that but I think so is most of the rest of the team.

Your other two points - definitely.

Maybe it's worth noting that our last really poor season was the Malpas season when Hammell was down at Southend. Coincidence?

I really honestly wish the tossers who go to watch us and those that frequent this website who are never off John Sutton's case would jack it in. For the record, up to this season, his goal scoring record in his first spell with us was 1 goal in 3 and when he re-joined us this went to 1 goal in 2. These are impressive goal scoring stats in any league..John Sutton is one the most honest players at our club and in Scotland. He goes out every week and plays wherever the manager asks him to and in whatever role. I recall when Craig Brown kept playing him out of position on the left wing and he never complained once about it. He is the one true penalty box striker we have and.who, if chances are being created, and as his goal scoring record record shows, he will put the ball in the net regularly..He is playing in one of the worst Motherwell sides in a long time where there are no creative midfielders to create penalty box chances and with defenders that couldn't keep hens out of a midden. And yet he is being singled out for stick??!!.There is no justification for getting on any players case if they are good honest pros putting their all into the team's cause like John Sutton. I seem to recall the same pointless shit being directed at another player in the same category - Mark Hateley who hardly missed a game for us. Aye would we not be better with him back?

Rant over.

• Like 4

Hateley was up and down and he finished his career at Motherwell as the poorest first pick player in a very good team. How do you judge someone in those circumstances? Perhaps people were harsh to judge him against other very good players. Perhaps it was right to pinpoint the weakest area of the side that could be improved. A difficult one but I'm sure a problem we would all like to have had this season.

Sutton, I mentioned in my 'match report'. I think most of what you said is true but I still have concerns about our mobility up front and you have to remember that he did go 8 matches without a goal. Sutton is a good striker if we are creating lots of chances but we haven't been doing that this season so, harsh as it may seem, it's easier to replace one player than alter the whole style of the team.

However he has two goals in two weeks now and that with his past record should see people get off his back a bit. Hopefully things turn round now across the board, John Sutton included.

I really honestly wish the tossers who go to watch us and those that frequent this website who are never off John Sutton's case would jack it in. For the record, up to this season, his goal scoring record in his first spell with us was 1 goal in 3 and when he re-joined us this went to 1 goal in 2. These are impressive goal scoring stats in any league..John Sutton is one the most honest players at our club and in Scotland. He goes out every week and plays wherever the manager asks him to and in whatever role. I recall when Craig Brown kept playing him out of position on the left wing and he never complained once about it. He is the one true penalty box striker we have and.who, if chances are being created, and as his goal scoring record record shows, he will put the ball in the net regularly..He is playing in one of the worst Motherwell sides in a long time where there are no creative midfielders to create penalty box chances and with defenders that couldn't keep hens out of a midden. And yet he is being singled out for stick??!!.There is no justification for getting on any players case if they are good honest pros putting their all into the team's cause like John Sutton. I seem to recall the same pointless shit being directed at another player in the same category - Mark Hateley who hardly missed a game for us. Aye would we not be better with him back?

Rant over.

Spot on Grew, ironic that we've had 3 crosses into the box in the last two games and Sutton has put two of them away and narrowly missed the other one (header in the first 10 mins v Ross County).

If we can get in behind defences and get the ball across goal then the big man will put them away all day long, playing balls straight at his head at 50mph does not work.

• Like 1

Rant over.

Get off your soap box!!

Sutton has been rank rotten this year. He has been lacking the simple things in his game, like the ability to control the ball and bring others into play, which believe it not may assist in getting chances created for him.

I would love it if he scored as many goals this year as he did last year but when the chips are down you need more than he has been providing. As a pro footballer you can't rely on other players to make you look good. Of course it helps if everyone is on form but he hasn't helped himself.

You can't sit there and say, ach its ok that Sutton has been awful but it's all Vigurs fault or Ainsworths, I mean is it Vigurs fault that Sutton doesn't stay on his feet and link up others but would rather flying chest a ball or fall on his arse.

• Like 4

Last season the team flattered to deceive at times but could also grind out a victory. This season other teams have sussed us out but I believe the squad is still better than their current position and with a fully fit squad and a bit of belief, we will be pushing towards 6th - at the start of the season I thought we'd finish between 8th and 5th and see no reason why we still cant make at least 7th.

On the whole John Sutton debate it's worth noting John Sutton is 2 goals away from breaking Tommy Coyne's 59 league goals in the top flight record and becoming our 2nd highest scorer since our promotion back in the mid eighties.

Stevie Kirk is our top league scorer in that time with 63 goals, so Sutton needs another 6 league goals this season to break a long standing record.

Certainly doable.

• Like 1

I seem to remember that big Higdon getting a lot of abuse from a certain section of the crowd at one point before he went on to prove them wrong and show them a get it right up you ya fuds - hope big Sutton can do the same ( without getting a suspension )

Higdon was a different beast, different player. I was a massive Higdon fan from day one as he is the polar opposite from Sutts in that he stood his ground and linked up play well.

Sutton doesn't have to prove anything, he has scored goals previous, what he does have to do is up his game.