St.mirren V Motherwell 20/12/14

Yabba's Turd

I seem to remember that big Higdon getting a lot of abuse from a certain section of the crowd at one point before he went on to prove them wrong and show them a get it right up you ya fuds - hope big Sutton can do the same ( without getting a suspension )

That's the thing, has has absolutely nothing to prove and has already shown he can bang them in for fun at this level.

He's suffering a drop in form whilst playing in a team devoid of confidence. Even then, alongside Henrik I'd say he's still the best striker we have so its a no brainer he starts every week.

From the highlights, looked like Thompson tried to do O'Brien and stamped on his calf with some real intent. Deserved red.

Their "goal" seemed to bounce on the line at least once and then the second time you couldn't tell as the ball was obstructed by a St Mirren player. Difficult one but can see why it wasn't given.

Our goal was a fantastic team effort which built from the very back. Looked like our only chance near enough.

If you get a chance have a watch at the youtube highlights as the seeth from the buddies is clearly audible and quite entertaining! Plenty sweary words being banded about lol

Pretty poor game but we would have all taken a scrappy 3 points and a clean sheet before kick off so job done, also thought that despite the overall display there were some definite positive signs from Baraclough.

- No long balls to Sutton. Always looking to play out from the back and emphasis on trying to retain possession. Was quite slow and predictable at times and you could sense some Motherwell fans getting wound up by it. Lacking a real passer in the midfield like Lawson or Vigurs hampered us and probably a lack of confidence from some players to try the killer ball and instead opted for the safer one. However it paid dividends in the end with one of the best goals we've scored in 2014 in my opinion. A fantastic team goal with McManus passing out from the back, lovely one two between Ojamaa and Ainsworth, a wonderful through ball by Ojamaa to the overlapping Law who flashed it across the goal first time for Sutton to sweep home. Wonderful to watch and if we can expect more of the same from the Baraclough era than I look forward to watching it. Don't get me wrong, it was slow and insipid at times but you can't expect the guy to implement a successful passing game in less than a week in charge. However the clear intent to get the ball down and pass it is promising and bodes well for the future.

- Things weren't working, he changed it at half time, switching Law to right back and bringing on Erwin. Promising flashes from Erwin who provided a bit more mobility up front and Law going to full back after being poor at right wing helped create the goal. Also fair play to Law, after a horrednous start to his 'Well career he's slowly starting to win me round with his attitude and performances of late. Also noted Baraclough moved Ojamaa out wide after being ineffective through the middle, which also led to the goal with Ojamaa coming in off the left like he did for his own goal last week.

- True to his word, gave the young guys a chance and Dom Thomas finally got his debut. Delighted for the young guy as it's long overdue and hopefully is the first of many. Should give him a bit of a boost and some of the other younger guys on the fringes also. Big vote of confidence from the manager to hand a young lad his debut in the last 10 mins of a nervy relegation battle away from home where we were holding on to a narrow lead.

Overall thought we weren't great though and in fairness St.Mirren were utter shite and down to 10 men for the most part. However we needed to win and we did and it's a solid platform for Baraclough to build from.

Win next week against Thistle and we are within touching distance of them and Killie going into the busy January schedule.

On the whole John Sutton debate it's worth noting John Sutton is 2 goals away from breaking Tommy Coyne's 59 league goals in the top flight record and becoming our 2nd highest scorer since our promotion back in the mid eighties.

Stevie Kirk is our top league scorer in that time with 63 goals, so Sutton needs another 6 league goals this season to break a long standing record.

Certainly doable.

This for sieb and his barmy army. Aye a right piss poor player, eh? dry.gif

• Like 3

It was indeed a very well worked goal. thumbup.gif As for the St.Mirren 'goal' it is very hard to tell from the YouTube video (the second bounce looks as if it may have just been over the line). I only hope that we can take the positives from this game into the Thistle match and start moving up the table. Mon the Well!

Just seen S Thomsom assault on O'Brien on SkySports News and it's a Red Card all day long. Be interesting to see what he says on Sportscene

At the game i thought it was a shocker, tbh.

Muir was fuckin honkin although ah thought they had a stonewall pen late in the game turned down, onwards n upwards.

Couple of points Lee Erwin needs to start I'd maybe try accommodate him Sutty and Ojamaa. Also O'brien needs to calm down all his tackles are wild he lunges into them he's gonna hurt someone or himself and get sent off. His distribution isn't good either I'd rather we gave Fraser Kerr a chance at centre back.

Poor game good 3 points

Also, have to say some of the songs the bois were singing were inspired.

I was sitting fnarring alot of the game.

The Wealdstone Raider stuff and the Ainsworth/Lion sleeps tonight stuff was genius.

Liking twist and shout as well. Sure I have heard that somewhere else recently. Possibly Hamburg?

Edit: It was West Ham when I was at Upton Park.

The holier than thou, told you so brigade are out in full force with the Sutton scenario are they not......

I genuinely don't understand what they think this achieves. I'm not Suttons biggest fan but I'm delighted if he scores winners in games as I'm sure every single Motherwell fan is and would be......

He hasn't offered enough this season without a doubt but if he keeps scoring then he will do, simples. This forum is for debate and discussion on our club but the petty point scoring is ridiculous.

• Like 2

I have been critical of Sutton and Lasley all season more than any other player.

Lasley, I thought yesterday, did a lot to convince me has a role to play and can do it well if not asked to run about like a mentalist and cover every blade of grass. Some people didn't think he played well yesterday and while he was not passing forward a lot he did link up a lot of our play and I thought was vital.

Sutton, for me, can still do more than he did yesterday and be a better link up player. But I thought he improved a little and if we get it in the box more he will stick it away. Mon the big man I say

If Barraclough plays our players in the correct positions for them (Lasley, law 2nd half), gets across his system which I think he has quite a bit already, and the players take it on board then we could be on to a winner without having to change too much personnel.

One thing I thought yesterday - 100% effort for the full game and a confidence to move it about. Something we haven't seen all season.

1419116689[/url]' post='427457']

Pretty poor game but we would have all taken a scrappy 3 points and a clean sheet before kick off so job done, also thought that despite the overall display there were some definite positive signs from Baraclough.

- No long balls to Sutton. Always looking to play out from the back and emphasis on trying to retain possession. Was quite slow and predictable at times and you could sense some Motherwell fans getting wound up by it. Lacking a real passer in the midfield like Lawson or Vigurs hampered us and probably a lack of confidence from some players to try the killer ball and instead opted for the safer one. However it paid dividends in the end with one of the best goals we've scored in 2014 in my opinion. A fantastic team goal with McManus passing out from the back, lovely one two between Ojamaa and Ainsworth, a wonderful through ball by Ojamaa to the overlapping Law who flashed it across the goal first time for Sutton to sweep home. Wonderful to watch and if we can expect more of the same from the Baraclough era than I look forward to watching it. Don't get me wrong, it was slow and insipid at times but you can't expect the guy to implement a successful passing game in less than a week in charge. However the clear intent to get the ball down and pass it is promising and bodes well for the future.

- Things weren't working, he changed it at half time, switching Law to right back and bringing on Erwin. Promising flashes from Erwin who provided a bit more mobility up front and Law going to full back after being poor at right wing helped create the goal. Also fair play to Law, after a horrednous start to his 'Well career he's slowly starting to win me round with his attitude and performances of late. Also noted Baraclough moved Ojamaa out wide after being ineffective through the middle, which also led to the goal with Ojamaa coming in off the left like he did for his own goal last week.

- True to his word, gave the young guys a chance and Dom Thomas finally got his debut. Delighted for the young guy as it's long overdue and hopefully is the first of many. Should give him a bit of a boost and some of the other younger guys on the fringes also. Big vote of confidence from the manager to hand a young lad his debut in the last 10 mins of a nervy relegation battle away from home where we were holding on to a narrow lead.

Overall thought we weren't great though and in fairness St.Mirren were utter shite and down to 10 men for the most part. However we needed to win and we did and it's a solid platform for Baraclough to build from.

Win next week against Thistle and we are within touching distance of them and Killie going into the busy January schedule.

Even after one week In charge, it was obvious he is going to try and play a more patient style, based on possession.

There are some in crowd who are going to find that hard going , surprisingly not older guys either, there was a young bloke behind me who was having a breakdown cos the ball wasn't getting to where he thought it should go quickly enough, he was negative too from the get go.

Suppose whether people take it will be down to winning games, so from that point of view , it's been successful , so far

Oh, wasn't beside Mr Angry yesterday but I could here him encouraging players from a distance

I think we almost shot ourselves in the foot by not playing a few long balls yesterday. Sutton would have dominated Goodwin yesterday and easily won the couple we did play. Our passing about at the back was so bad with terrible touches meant that St Mirren players could press and know they were always going to have time to get back. Throw in a few long balls up, either Sutton wins the flick or we use our extra man and win the second ball to get possession high up the park.

We were nearly caught several times dicking about at the back. Passes that weren't going anywhere and were only getting us in trouble. Nothing wrong with mixing it up and making St Mirren think a bit.

Think the manager deserves credit for the half time subs. Ferguson was having a bad game and O'Brien was going to get sent off plus Kerr and Law are much better players on the ball.

• Like 1

I would agree with that Casagolda.

It's all very well playing a passing game and keeping the ball on the deck but you do have to mix it up a bit and give the opposition something else to contend with from time to time.

By the sounds of it Law should be starting at right back from now on in?