Motherwell V Partick Thistle 27/12/14

Yabba's Turd

I meant in a "football brain " sense - I'm sure he's a delight off the pitch.

He has no awareness of who or what is happening around him when he plays. Twice we were on a break away today and he was taken completely surprise by Ainsworth trying to play him in. A few weeks ago he attempted of one of the most blatant and unnecessary dives I've ever seen.

Bollocks.

Inexperienced? Aye. Thick as fuck? No.

He's played less than 90 minutes in the last 4 games and found himself with 3 great chances to score and a handful of half chances. Nerves and confidence are everything here. A thick as fuck player simply doesn't get into the positions that he does.

• Like 1

Somewhat true, but there is a difference between what you should expect from a seasoned pro and what you should expect from a youngster in the early stages of his first team career.

If the fans want to see the boys given a chance (and I'm 100% behind that), then they need to be prepared for plenty of mistakes in the mix with the flashes of inspiration. Instilling an attitude of being afraid to make errors is not the way to develop players.

I don't think anyone is saying any more than he will need to improve in front of goal if he wants to make it as a striker. No one is running him out of town on a rail.

The last player I remember being in a similar position to Erwin today was McFadden against Celtic and he missed too. It happens but when you are trying to make your name as a young striker then I think you need to be more composed than Erwin has been so far.

I'm sure Erwin will be sitting at home tonight kicking himself regardless of any supporter chat because he'll know as well as anyone.

The downsides today were leaving O'Brien on when he was concussed which is a poor show, he was in a bad place when he got subbed off.

A bit harsh. After his knock O'Brien was thoroughly examined by the team doctor both on and off the park and deemed fit to continue. I'm no medical expert but it was obvious that the player was being checked for concussion.

Bollocks.

Inexperienced? Aye. Thick as fuck? No.

He's played less than 90 minutes in the last 4 games and found himself with 3 great chances to score and a handful of half chances. Nerves and confidence are everything here. A thick as fuck player simply doesn't get into the positions that he does.

Nail on the head. Every time he's on the park he looks dangerous, the composure to finish things will come with experience.

I can see him being like McCulloch and McDonald who were both extremely rough when they came into the team but when they got a bit of confidence and figured out how to make an impact through experience were brilliant for us and brought in big fees.

• Like 2

I might have been a bit harsh on Ojamaa actually. I didn't realize it at the game but watching that back you can't help but notice he's involved in just about every attack we have and most things went through him.

Also never really noticed at the time but his pass with the outside of his boot for Erwin's chance at the end was fucking superb.

Spot on, Ojamaa is our best player and the creative heart of the team at the moment. We really need to keep him past January

First half, certainly the first 30 minutes was the best I've seen us play this season and gives me real hope. Second half however shows how far we still have to go.

There's no doubt that I be viewing everything in a slightly different mood if we hadn't won but they main thing is the 3 points at the moment.

A pity St Mirren and Ross County picked up points but it at least draws the pack tighter together.

Henrik wants to play up top, through the middle. Not on the left tracking back, was one of his down falls at LW and what McCall stated why he wanted to come back. Might explain why he is a bit pissed off. Think he can be a bit petulant at times.

Not much more to add bout yesterday's game. Really enjoyed the first half, hated the 2nd but getting the 3pts was huge.....

Re Sutton, thought 1st half yesterday was his best all season, held the ball us and linked in other players. Main thing for me was he actually stayed on his feet and didn't fall about looking for fouls or throw himself forward etc. He is a far superior player when he stays strong. 2nd half was pretty meh but more to do with those behind failing to get in the ball and lumping it forward.

I really rate Erwin but have to admit the two chances he has missed have been poor, yesterday he did excellently to stay onside and his pace and touch into the box was really promising but what happened to the finish I have no idea.

He is a skilful big player and offers more 18 to 18 that Sutton does but composure is lacking. Add that to his game and we will have a real deal player I have no doubt.

Giving him a hard time is just ridiculous however.... Anyone who shouts abuse at our youth players should get a quick boot to the baws....

• Like 1

Nail on the head. Every time he's on the park he looks dangerous, the composure to finish things will come with experience.

I can see him being like McCulloch and McDonald who were both extremely rough when they came into the team but when they got a bit of confidence and figured out how to make an impact through experience were brilliant for us and brought in big fees.

Good examples in McCulloch and McDonald although I think McCulloch is the better one in regard to Erwin.

I remember writing somewhere, perhaps here if it existed back then, that McDonald was a very good player but he'd never score goals!

As regards Ojamaa, I thought he was poor yesterday and I wouldn't let 6 or 7 minutes of highlights change that opinion. Of course he has something extra in him that most of the rest don't have and that will show but he needs to work harder and have a better attitude than he did yesterday.

I don't know if he had an off day as players do or if he was upset at playing on the left but if it was the latter then the manager has to have a word with him because I think he should be playing there regularly for the benefit of the team.

He's quick, has skill and has a left foot so for me its a no brainer that he plays wide left with our lack of options in the squad. Ojamaa - Vigurs - Ainsworth behind Sutton is surely our most effective attacking line up. There's no reason that I can see why Ojamaa can't do what Jamie Murphy used to do on the right wing, play wide but come inside and get 10 goals a season.

Why do we hate Christie Elliot again?

I think it's Higginbotham we hate.

Thought it was quite odd that Higginbotham turned and applauded the East Stand at full-time yesterday. Obviously there was a quite a bit of animosity during the 4-3 game last season - I would argue largely down to some of his actions that day.

He got it a wee bit tight off some yesterday, albeit to a much lesser degree, for not too much at all so fair play for the gesture given the circumstances and I would have to concede that taking the gesture at face value, he's gone up a little in my estimations

• Like 1

Thought it was quite odd that Higginbotham turned and applauded the East Stand at full-time yesterday. Obviously there was a quite a bit of animosity during the 4-3 game last season - I would argue largely down to some of his actions that day.

He got it a wee bit tight off some yesterday, albeit to a much lesser degree, for not too much at all so fair play for the gesture given the circumstances and I would have to concede that taking the gesture at face value, he's gone up a little in my estimations

Got to agree actually. He met a good mate of mine in a pub in the West End bout a month ago, my mate is a big Well fan and asked him why he was so annoyed with Well.

He was pretty candid and told him it's more to do with how disappointed he was with the way things ended. He really really wanted to stay at us and was given a whole heap of promises but we signed Faddy and we renaged on our deals. He was really happy at the club and didn't want to leave.

Think the clapping yesterday was a bit of class tbh. Fair play to him.

• Like 1

Thought the first half performance was really good, especially after we scored the goal. Josh Law has changed from being an anonymous waste of a shirt to a really useful utiity man and is actually like a new signing.

Thistle struggled to cope with us in the game yesterday and made a tactical switch at half time and I was a bit surprised Baraclough, given how quick he adapted last week, didn't try and change the shape of our midfield. However, I do appreciate with Carswell, Lawson and Vigurs all out changing how our midfield looks wasn't all that easy. We did defend stoutly however and for all Thistle had lots of territory and pot shots, they never really looked like they were going to score.

Erwin's play off the ball is excellent and he seems to read the game well but when he is on the ball he does seem to take a lot of wrong options. He looks like a guy crying out for one to go in scrappily to give him a lift.

However, 7 points from 9 is a good run. I felt 8 from the three games we played plus Hamilton would give us a good foundation for the second half of the season and I see no reason why that shouldn't be possible.

As regards Ojamaa, I thought he was poor yesterday and I wouldn't let 6 or 7 minutes of highlights change that opinion. Of course he has something extra in him that most of the rest don't have and that will show but he needs to work harder and have a better attitude than he did yesterday.

I don't know if he had an off day as players do or if he was upset at playing on the left but if it was the latter then the manager has to have a word with him because I think he should be playing there regularly for the benefit of the team.

Surely playing on the left for Motherwell is better than where he was playing for Legia?

Just had a quick look at Erwins late effort and the positive that I take from it is that he starts on the halfway line about 3 meters further out than the defender but manages to beat him to the ball by a couple of yards.

A great turn of pace and once he starts scoring he will give a few opposition players and managers a torrid time - hope we have him on a long contract.

1419700115[/url]' post='427632']

Good first half, we fairly lost the head in the second.

Not a fan of the Ramsden/Lasley midfield pairing. Think we need either Vigurs or Lawson in there besides one of them with a better range of passing to control the pace of the game.

Lee Erwin has all the raw physical attributes that should tear this league apart but the boy is thick as fuck, his positional awareness is just bizzare at times.

Why do we hate Christie Elliot again?

Maybe this could be another topic, but there was a guy next to me in east stand giving Elliot abuse, telling him how rubbish he was. There were some others giving O'Donnell , the thistle full back pelters in the first half, and then the usual abuse for Higgonbotham.i don't get all this

They are just guys making an honest living playing for a small team , probably won't be making fortunes

We seem to have some very angry fans, haven't sat amongst away supporters enough to know if they are all like that, but I doubt it

Get behind our guys and chill out

Namaste