Motherwell V Aberdeen 04/01/15

Yabba's Turd

We've scored 13 in 20 games (1 goal every 1.5 matches or 135 mins). A lot due to a lack of foresight in our assets and personnel we required in pre-season. Our league thrives in pace and we have been deficient.

On paper we now have pace between Ainsworth and Ojamaa (of course both have issues with an indifferent work ethic in the former and decision making with the latter), trickery if Thomas' display today is anything to go by and big bruising strikers in Sutton and Erwin. We will eek out results, however its not going to be pretty. Despite Baraclough's suggestions of possession and building from the back, I wouldn't be surprised if we go a little route 1 going forward if it helps him get to mid May, mop his brow and maintain our status.

However, impending apocalypse stuff on here tonight as a reaction to this one game is woeful .... the best team in the country beat us 2-0, get over it.

7 points from 15 in the past 5 games most would have probably taken. I accept the manner in which we conducted ourselves in those games leaves a lot to be desired but .... reality check, we're not going to dominate games with exhibitions of free flowing football as we did 2 years ago.

This season won't be defined by how we perform against Aberdeen, Celtic and Dundee Utd and regrettably Accies. It will hinge on our performances against the likes of Ross County, St Mirren, Partick and Dundee. While we won ugly against a couple of these recently, we still won.

I do think our shrinking fanbase will use this season to excuse apathy and finding alternatives for their Saturday's next season.

You won't get any apathy from me if we persevere with Luke Watt, Fraser Kerr, Dom Thomas, Lee Erwin, etc etc. However, if I turn up to watch uninterested journeymen like Vigours and Ainsworth then I'll start watching ice hockey or NFL like a load of other bell-ends seem to be doing these days.

Ok, that last bit was a lie but you know what I mean....

You won't get any apathy from me if we persevere with Luke Watt, Fraser Kerr, Dom Thomas, Lee Erwin, etc etc. However, if I turn up to watch uninterested journeymen like Vigours and Ainsworth then I'll start watching ice hockey or NFL like a load of other bell-ends seem to be doing these days.

Ok, that last bit was a lie but you know what I mean....

Persevere with him? I suggest we have for too long.

Oh and what about the most blatant bit of racism in the main stand today, I'm sure others heard it

We were in the Main Stand and heard nothing whatsoever untoward. There was some jeering of Willie Collum for the penalty decision, and David Goodwillie, for his dive, but neither was abusive or undeserved.

I'm slightly baffled after all the talk about pressing teams, ball retention etc etc etc.I've yet to see any of this and it's been more of the same, with route 1 football to Sutton. 4 weeks is a short time in charge but I'd have thought some of the philosophy would be be starting to develop in some aspects of our play.

I'm of the opinion that Ian Baraclough is no mark McGhee but I guess he does need time.However, if he didn't quite grasp the enormity of the task, I'm sure it's now kicking in. One thing is for sure, he needs to keep mfc in this league and he needs to weed out and strengthen the team because next season will be even tougher with hearts and another coming up.I just hope you can walk the walk after all the talk.

P.s. IB has inherited the most unbalanced team that I've witnessed in many years, this is no fault of his! Best of luck of Ian

I'm slightly baffled after all the talk about pressing teams, ball retention etc etc etc.I've yet to see any of this and it's been more of the same, with route 1 football to Sutton. 4 weeks is a short time in charge but I'd have thought some of the philosophy would be be starting to develop in some aspects of our play.

I'm of the opinion that Ian Baraclough is no mark McGhee but I guess he does need time.However, if he didn't quite grasp the enormity of the task, I'm sure it's now kicking in. One thing is for sure, he needs to keep mfc in this league and he needs to weed out and strengthen the team because next season will be even tougher with hearts and another coming up.I just hope you can walk the walk after all the talk.

P.s. IB has inherited the most unbalanced team that I've witnessed in many years, this is no fault of his! Best of luck of Ian

Good points Alan. I was more than a bit surprised that we made so few changes in the aftermath of the New Years Day game. After watching us for say 3/4/5 games its now time for him to be own man and take his own decisions.

I agree that he has been left with a poor and very unbalanced squad and we need to bite, kick, scratch and claw our way to safety - any way we can. Teams like Aberdeen and St Johnstone may not be the best to watch but they are big, fit, well organised and streetwise and for the most part dependable. If we can secure 10th position in May I'll be relieved and Ian Baraclogh can have a clear out and start rebuilding.

Good points Alan. I was more than a bit surprised that we made so few changes in the aftermath of the New Years Day game. After watching us for say 3/4/5 games its now time for him to be own man and take his own decisions.

I agree that he has been left with a poor and very unbalanced squad and we need to bite, kick, scratch and claw our way to safety - any way we can. Teams like Aberdeen and St Johnstone may not be the best to watch but they are big, fit, well organised and streetwise and for the most part dependable. If we can secure 10th position in May I'll be relieved and Ian Baraclogh can have a clear out and start rebuilding.

At best we have a small squad and there have been lots of injuries so Baraclough has not had anything like a free hand to pick a team. He's had to put out whoever we had fit and he's already given a few debuts and put younger players out like Dom Thomas and Luke Watt.

I'd bite your hand off for 10th at the end of the season. Any team playing as badly as we have been all season would be very very lucky not to get relegated.

At best we have a small squad and there have been lots of injuries so Baraclough has not had anything like a free hand to pick a team. He's had to put out whoever we had fit and he's already given a few debuts and put younger players out like Dom Thomas and Luke Watt.

Yes our injury list is horrendous and options limited. There were still various options and changes that could have been made after New Douglas Park?

Dom Thomas to start?

Josh Law to right back?

Lee Erwin to start in place of Sutton if we insist on playing one man up front?

Ojamaa and Ainsworth up front and play the classic Hearts game?

Still I'm pleased that we now seem to blooding more youth and that is a positive sign.

Yes our injury list is horrendous and options limited. There were still various options and changes that could have been made after New Douglas Park?

Dom Thomas to start?

Josh Law to right back?

Lee Erwin to start in place of Sutton if we insist on playing one man up front?

Ojamaa and Ainsworth up front and play the classic Hearts game?

Still I'm pleased that we now seem to blooding more youth and that is a positive sign.

All these things should happen at Dens. I will despair (even more than I already am if that's possible!) if we line up with the same starting 11 as v Aberdeen.

Maybe the club will lower season ticket prices and apologise for raising them to watch this pish.

Certainly something that needs to be addressed.

Personally don't mind go through a rough patch. Last season we papered over the cracks in tremendous fashion, cracks that are hopefully now being dealt with.

• Like 1

We were in the Main Stand and heard nothing whatsoever untoward. There was some jeering of Willie Collum for the penalty decision, and David Goodwillie, for his dive, but neither was abusive or undeserved.

It was only 1 guy to be fair but was so blatant it was embarassing