Dundee Utd V Motherwell 24/01/2015

siebsbarmyarmy

For me that sounded much more positive. Unlucky not to take the lead, created far more than usual, scored a goal and had one of the best teams in the league under pressure for much more of the game. Finally a bit of fight that St mirren and Ross county seem to show. Maybe... Just maybe were not down after all.

Death spiral. That is all.

Steady on! Stay off the alcohol tonight. This game was always going to be about damage limitation and 3-1 is not the end of the world. Ross County and St Mirren both got beaten and we escaped from Tannadice with no red or yellow cards. Hopefully, we haven't picked up any more injuries.

It seems like we didn't get many breaks but its not often you get a penalty at Tannadice.

Our season really starts next week and we have to be prepared for that.

I thought we were worthy of a point today. Missed gilt edge chances at 0-0, had a couple of penalty claims and how Sutton never buried the "goal" I'll never know. Should've put the man and the ball in the net!

Plenty of effort and got stuck in which is all you can ask but Utds quality told when it mattered.

Probably given me false hope that we can stay up.

Ciftci is a fucking cock.

I thought we were worthy of a point today. Missed gilt edge chances at 0-0, had a couple of penalty claims and how Sutton never buried the "goal" I'll never know. Should've put the man and the ball in the net!

Plenty of effort and got stuck in which is all you can ask but Utds quality told when it mattered.

Probably given me false hope that we can stay up.

Ciftci is a fucking cock.

Agreed.

Thought Pearson add so much more energy and drive that we've been missing from midfield. Also thought Erwin was fantastic up front and gave their defence a torrid time. Young Luke Watt also impressed once again.

Much more fight today and created several great chances. Still a long way to go and a lot of work required but today is the first performance in a while that's given me hope that we can stay up.

Get a few of the injured players back and 1 or 2 more quality additions like Pearson and who knows.

I say it all the time....the problems lie with the coaching methods and lack off...Kenny Black is not the answer.

Baraclough is looking a bit of a dick now imho. He should see he needs fresh coaching perspective and fresh thinking.

I realise they are not his players, all the more reason to clear the decks of the backroom shite and bring in some fresh ideas....

I say it all the time....the problems lie with the coaching methods and lack off...Kenny Black is not the answer.

Baraclough is looking a bit of a dick now imho. He should see he needs fresh coaching perspective and fresh thinking.

I realise they are not his players, all the more reason to clear the decks of the backroom shite and bring in some fresh ideas....

Unfortunately the club doesn't have the funds to clear them out before season ends. So has to per with the cock he's got

I'm a big critic of McManus but thought he put in a shift today, Simon Ramsden was like a man possessed at times, seemed to be up for it and took his goal well. Erwin was terrific outside the box, lack of composure in it. Pearson showed glimpses of what could be. Luke Watt was assured at left back and should get a run. Kerr looked like he fitted in his natural position. Sutton showed his limitations. Moore had a good energy when he came on.

A lot more plusses than recent weeks

It looked like a penalty for a foul on Pearson but the tackle was kind of going the way we were facing so from where the Motherwell fans were it would be hard to be sure whether ball or man was played first. What I would say is that Pearson looked to be ahead so not sure why he would have gone down.

Just before the disallowed goal I noticed Craig Thomson motioning to his assistant on our side that he couldn't hear him through the radio mic. My suspicion is there was a communication breakdown that led Thomson to think he had said goal hence he pointed to the circle and then when realising the error had to go for the drop ball. Whilst I can't be certain but it didn't look in.

On the overall performance, I thought the worst Motherwell player was acceptable today where in some games that has been where our best player has been. Lets not kid ourselves we weren't brilliant but we lost three goals in the last quarter, two which were bang tidy finishes (one when we were chasing an equaliser) and the one from the corner looked like a clear push on McManus which let Fojut win the header. We competed well, our defending was much better organised, there was a rigid shape. The midfield retained the ball better. Carswell had his best game of the season and Pearson whilst clearly still adapting is a level above with ball retention. Erwin had his most promising game in a 'Well jersey and Ainsworth lively when he came on.

With the decisions that went against us, the fact they are better than us this was a much more encouraging performance. I don't even think we deserved to lose. If that performance is par for the rest of the season, we'll stay up and I haven't said that often this season.

• Like 1

Stonewall pen in the first half seemingly....

Anyone at the game comment. Utd fans calling it on P&B.

2 good penalty claims in first half, angle I was at it was impossible to say if they were stonewall but referee was shocking so I fully expect 1 or both to be.

• Like 1

It looked like a penalty for a foul on Pearson but the tackle was kind of going the way we were facing so from where the Motherwell fans were it would be hard to be sure whether ball or man was played first. What I would say is that Pearson looked to be ahead so not sure why he would have gone down.

Just before the disallowed goal I noticed Craig Thomson motioning to his assistant on our side that he couldn't hear him through the radio mic. My suspicion is there was a communication breakdown that led Thomson to think he had said goal hence he pointed to the circle and then when realising the error had to go for the drop ball. Whilst I can't be certain but it didn't look in.

On the overall performance, I thought the worst Motherwell player was acceptable today where in some games that has been where our best player has been. Lets not kid ourselves we weren't brilliant but we lost three goals in the last quarter, two which were bang tidy finishes (one when we were chasing an equaliser) and the one from the corner looked like a clear push on McManus which let Fojut win the header. We competed well, our defending was much better organised, there was a rigid shape. The midfield retained the ball better. Carswell had his best game of the season and Pearson whilst clearly still adapting is a level above with ball retention. Erwin had his most promising game in a 'Well jersey and Ainsworth lively when he came on.

With the decisions that went against us, the fact they are better than us this was a much more encouraging performance. I don't even think we deserved to lose. If that performance is par for the rest of the season, we'll stay up and I haven't said that often this season.

Agree completely, not often I come away from a 3-1 defeat feeling positive.