Dundee Utd V Motherwell 24/01/2015

siebsbarmyarmy

Anyone who was at Tannadice yesterday would tell you that Lee Erwin was The 'Well's best player yesterday. He was a constant threat and Sutton benefited from having a strike partner. All Erwin lacks is a bit of composure in the final third but that will come with games and experience.

And stop diving .

That's the way it goes when you're down the bottom, nae luck at all.

Saw the Youtube highlights, couple of smart saves from Dan as ever, if the ref doesn't give Pearo a penalty he's got to book him there, and our finishing was really poor. For the disallowed goal big Sutton should've gone through the two defenders in front of him to smash that ball into the empty net. Also Ainsworth showing a brief glimpse of his potential with a decent assist, think he's best used as an impact sub.

Positives though, really hope we can build on that next week, ang don't just go back to our same old ways and get pumped!

Dan was actually pretty ropey yesterday. A couple of fumbles and dodgy kicks and (having not seen the replays) possibly could have done better with the second goal.

Erwin put himself about yesterday and showed mobility, strength, aerial prowess and, above all, a real desire- that's what we've been lacking for months. A few bits of naive play, yes, but a good coach could turn him into a real star in my opinion.

Jury is still out on Pearson for me but I'm encouraged by his contribution to a decent team performance.

At last a bit of fight yday.

can anyone enlighten me on the drop ball rules....Thompson gives, then disallows the "goal"... awards a drop ball in the 6 yard box, pearson goes to contest it, is waved away, ref drops the ball and their keeper picks it up

and sends it downfield to set them up in attack.

I am a qualified referee and can confirm you won't find anywhere in the laws of the game where it will say a player from one of the sides cannot challenge for a drop ball.

Thompson is trying to apply "law 18" common sense to get himself and linesman out of a problem they themselves created. If the ball was anywhere in the middle of the park when Thompson blew for the goal you can be sure the dropped ball there would have been contested by both sides.

Would Thompson have booked Pearson if he refused to back away....hmm??

Oh and yes, on another day we'd have had 2 penalties in the first half.

Just watched the highlights....2 absolute stone-wallers...while we've been utterly pish for 99% of this season, we've also been on the end of some absolutely criminal refereeing at times over the course.

2 really nice finishes from the young Utd fella, but I thought the 2nd goal was poor from our point of view...free header inside our 6yard box...where was his marker and where was our midget goalie.

From the highlights, it was encouraging to see us at least have a bit of drive, a few pops at goal and Pearson and Erwin looked as though they carried a bit of threat.

• Like 1

1422216238[/url]' post='430383']

Is it just me that thinks Erwin will fall down at any opportunity? Seen him drop to ground 4 or 5 times this season.

Pearson looks like he's going to inject some drive in midfield which is a bonus.

Big man does seem to have collapsible kegs at times, but that was a stonewaller, as was Pearson's

Need to dry our eyes tho and use this as a spur, you can't be unlucky every week and this is ine of the few weeks we have been unlucky

Big man does seem to have collapsible kegs at times, but that was a stonewaller, as was Pearson's

Need to dry our eyes tho and use this as a spur, you can't be unlucky every week and this is ine of the few weeks we have been unlucky

Just seen the highlights this morning and i agree both the tackle on Erwin and pearson were stonewall pens. Thompson is a feckin knob, the standard of Scottish referreeing really is poor, lets hope he gets dealt with the same way as Collum, though i wont be holding my breath. As for Suttons Goal / no goal, its hard to tell but i dont think the ball was over, but giving the goal then changing his mind and making a james Hunt of the restart, just highlights the poor standard of the officials.

We looked liked we created some chances so probably right to say we were unlucky which given recent results is an improvement.

I am a qualified referee and can confirm you won't find anywhere in the laws of the game where it will say a player from one of the sides cannot challenge for a drop ball.

Thompson is trying to apply "law 18" common sense to get himself and linesman out of a problem they themselves created. If the ball was anywhere in the middle of the park when Thompson blew for the goal you can be sure the dropped ball there would have been contested by both sides.

Would Thompson have booked Pearson if he refused to back away....hmm??

Thanks for clearing that up. Had Pearson contested the drop ball I don't think he would have been yellow carded but red carded instead for dissent.

Out of interest do you know if the referee has to explain these decisions in his report which will arrive at Fir Park in the next day or two. Is it enough for him to simply write a "factual" summary of what took place? Is it likely he will admit to making a mistake (or 3)? There is a lot of confusion surrounding these reports.