Relegation

milo

First relegation in 31 years seems inevitable for us now and the sad thing is that's its looked likely since October. The worst Motherwell team in living memory featuring some of the worst individual players we've ever seen. It's really no wonder we're in the position we're in.

The new manager hasn't been able to halt the slide, if anything the displays have become even more incoherent and pathetic. The vast majority of the players should be utterly ashamed of themselves, but I doubt if any of them even have the gumption or awareness to do so.

Hearts and especially Hibs have been cleansed by the drop down and will return stronger. I don't think it will work like that for us though and a lengthy stint in the first division is on the cards.

• Like 1

We're toast.

The only positive is that we aren't tied to many contracts for next season.

We won't bounce straight back up as there are better organized clubs down there and we'll go the way of Dunfermline.

Whereas the supporters some of the bigger teams like Hearts and Hibs (and Utd in previous years) have rallied around their club, I believe that our support will dwindle further.

Tbh, while I obviously don't want us to go down, I think it might be a decent laugh. The top flight's boring now anyway.

I am with this. Never been to Palmerston Park.

If I thought we would be back up within a couple of years I would not be overly bothered by relegation.

It probably helps that we have so many players out of contract.

The thing about relegation is that it would bring uncertainty to the future of the club. People say they find the Premiership boring and dull, the same old teams time after time, but that gives us a secure base to work off. With relegation that secure base would be gone and the future of the club would be very unpredictable.

We might fall down the league like Dunfermline have, a team similar in stature to us who are now struggling to get out of the third tier. Or we might become a new Falkirk, a decent level team, usually challenging but never actually getting back into the top flight. Look at how long it took St. Mirren to get back into the top league and they have never really recovered as a club since, usually struggling at the bottom end. Alternatively we could go on and win the Championship and completely reinvigorate the club. There is no way of telling.

In terms of budget I'd like to think that it wouldn't be cut drastically, at least for the first season in the Championship, and that we made a serious bid to get straight back up, otherwise I suspect Motherwell FC's brand would be much reduced and we might follow in the footsteps of some of the clubs mentioned above and others who were once a staple of the top league but who have since fallen into obscurity and hard times.

Things are shite just now and will be a battle to the end to avoid relegation, but this is roughly the same team that finished 2nd - so hardly worst team ever!

We are lacking fitness (McCall's pre-season possibly to blame), severely struggling with injuries (missing JP), adjusting to a new manager, lacking in confidence, dealing with off field restructuring and starting to see the legs on Lasley, etc go.

Don't give a monkeys about result tonight, for me its all about grinding out results against teams about us. Priority is ensuring St. Mirren and Ross County finish below us and week to week its all about matching or bettering there results.

I still have faith that come May we won't be in botyom two.

EDIT: And all this talk about "wouldn't mind a relegation, etc" is ridiculous chat. I've never seen this club relegated and should it come to pass I will be absolutely devastated.

Folk showing first stages of grief and we are only at half way point of season.

• Like 2

I was told by someone who was involved with the well society stuff that if we got relegated then its administration and this time we might not get out the other end of it, so if we go down we might cease to exist as well. Things might have changed since this les Hutchison guy bought Boyles shares but that's what I was told around October time.

Does 10th get relegated now?

Aye.

And in this parallel footballing universe St Mirren have clearly turned the corner by taking 4 from the last 6 points, despite losing 9 of the 10 previous games and both our relegation rivals are clearly on course to scud us in every head to head, despite only gaining a grand total of 1 point between the two of them in the 4 games so far.

FFS the pant wetting is reaching Tsunami levels tonight..yes we are feckin pish just now, but do i think we will go down no i dont. There are still 48 points to play for we wont finish any lower than we are now so gies peace with all this " we are relegated already " pish.

FFS the pant wetting is reaching Tsunami levels tonight..yes we are feckin pish just now, but do i think we will go down no i dont. There are still 48 points to play for we wont finish any lower than we are now so gies peace with all this " we are relegated already " pish.

We need to face facts - St Mirren are beginning to find form and more importantly are gaining in confidence and grinding out results.

We are in free fall with heavy defeats and a lack of commitment and desire.

Unless Bara can find a way of getting the players to realise what's at stake and raise their game, I fear we are going down

You are both ignoring the fact that we are getting worse while St Mirren and Ross County seem to be improving.

Have they? They seem as shite/inconsistent as always. Regardless of that, surely you have followed football long enough to know that teams go through good and bad spells?

Have they? They seem as shite/inconsistent as always. Regardless of that, surely you have followed football long enough to know that teams go through good and bad spells?

I don't think this group of players have the will to turn things round.

The only three I trust are Hammell, Lasley and Sutton. I doubt that they are capable of doing it on their own. The manger looks out his depth and there is nothing in his CV or that he has done since he came to Fir Park that suggests he will be able to fix this.

We went cheap and changed the organ grinder, keeping the monkeys. The players know were so skint we cant pay anyone off so are happy fucking aroubd and picking up a good wage till the summer with no motivation to change.

Fitness and basic skills still look shocking so we can assume safe enough that training hasnt changed apart from a yoga class or 2.

Do I think MVDG is the messiah and would instantly turn us into Ajax? No,BUT I do think if we'd brought him in with a new coaching team the players would be a different bunch by now. Bara is the cheap,safe option who talks a good game but looks to be far out his depth.

Derek Weir has made our bed now, and in 3 months theres a very real chance the administrators will be looking to sell it along with anything else of value

Agree Alan. St Mirren are still 2 points behind us with a game more played. They've still to play Celtic before the split we don't. Hopefully we'll see some chages in personnel next week. Is it any wonder the players are showing a lack of fight when fans are so pessimistic? Feeding off each other guess?

Yes, we've got a helluva fight on our hands but we are above both both St Mirren and Ross County. When did St Mirren last win a home game?

1421880427[/url]' post='429974']

Things are shite just now and will be a battle to the end to avoid relegation, but this is roughly the same team that finished 2nd - so hardly worst team ever!

We are lacking fitness (McCall's pre-season possibly to blame), severely struggling with injuries (missing JP), adjusting to a new manager, lacking in confidence, dealing with off field restructuring and starting to see the legs on Lasley, etc go.

Don't give a monkeys about result tonight, for me its all about grinding out results against teams about us. Priority is ensuring St. Mirren and Ross County finish below us and week to week its all about matching or bettering there results.

I still have faith that come May we won't be in botyom two.

EDIT: And all this talk about "wouldn't mind a relegation, etc" is ridiculous chat. I've never seen this club relegated and should it come to pass I will be absolutely devastated.

Folk showing first stages of grief and we are only at half way point of season.

Saw a bit of St Mirren game tonight, they have some useful young players in middle of park, not least Kenny McClean.We don't really have anything to compare with that , so we really need to start grinding out some results.,always thought we would get out of this, but the malaise is going on too long now, I am officially worried

St Mirren in the main have been losing narrowly all season, we on the otherhand have been getting pumped, in the last 4 games we have conceded 15 of the poorest goals you are likely to see a professional team concede. We have scored one goal in the same time frame, our main source of supply appears to be Josh Law, a right back from the English non-leagues. We appear rudderless, unable to do the basics, lethargic, disinterested, heartless, devoid of motivation, lacking leadership from all sides and criminally unfit. Teams around us including County and St Mirren are starting to play some decent football, have turned to hungrier players which seems to be slowly working. We are still unable to play any semblance of football and we haven't convinced or looked the superior side in any of the 27 matches we have played this season. The teams above us are miles ahead and it will be almost impossible to catch 9th place.

All these factors point to a very tough fight against relegation and I for one, cannot see where the change in fortune is coming from. This simply cannot be dismissed as "pant wetting" or "melodrama", it is unfortunately a stark reality of where this club is heading at the current moment in time. We ARE the worst team in this league right now, this is the present and no talk of 2nd place finishes will change that fact. Baws need kicked, those with motivational issues can fuck off right now, firm direction from the top is needed as is financial backing to a new manager who is being hung out to dry here. He must be allowed to bring in several new players before the transfer window ends. This season is very much in danger of imploding around us and by the time some(if any) stern action is taken it may be far too late.

• Like 10

Don't understand why some put so much focus on accumulated points to date.

So far this season, St Mirren have displayed a significantly superior standard of football which has been partly undermined by some ridiculous Tommy Craig signings. They now have a bit of momentum under a novice manager and look capable of picking up a few results.

We meanwhile are a team devoid of shape and spirit, a team that has not improved one bit since the Iceland sham, a team that has had less than 50% possession in just about every game and has the 2nd worst goal difference in Britain.

We don't look capable of outplaying anyone at present and we will finish 11th at best if the players don't react to Baracloughs methods very soon.

No greeting if we go down though; the club has sleepwalked into this predicament. If we then need to cut our cloth accordingly and become a Falkirk/Dunfermline then so be it - it's pretty much nailed on under the financial constraints of fan ownership anyway.

• Like 1

If there were signs of improvement to justify some optimism then I would gladly acknowledge them. There aren't. We have been shite all season and even if new players are brought in, it will be tough for them to turn around a side so short on confidence and ability.Things not looking great and no reason to hope we can stay up beyond the fact that the teams below us are no great shakes either.

• Like 1

I'm not one for panicking or making rash judgements. But I have to admit to at least to myself, and then this forum as a reflection to the original post that this current 'team' resemble very little in the way of a professional football team who are committed or passionate about plying their trade.

In terms of talent, I thought some had it, but this season they are not just showing in the odd match, but in every match bar none, that they either don't have, or they don't think they should share it with Motherwell FC and their supporters for this season.

I can understand Lasley declining slightly due to age. But guys like McManus and Ramsden - they shouldn't be as bad. Then there is Ainsworth. He reminds me of the guy at school who was good, but not as good as he thought, which led to him thinking he could shy out of a shift.

Could all this be attributed to a combined lack of fitness and confidence? I don't know. What I do know is comparing the starting 11 this season to last season and thinking that inherently means it'll come good is complete folly. History won't show that, history will show a plummeting of fortunes and that's all.

I hope to fuck we stay up. A club the size of ours, with what id call an already fragile support size, can't afford to go down.

PS: Did we alter player bonus payments of anything?