Relegation

milo

Some astonishing views here on relegation. If we go down it would be a disaster pure and simple. Lower crowds. Less income. Less hospitality. Lower standard of football. Less sponsorship. Oh aye we'd get a wee trip to Alloa. Honestly.... :wallbash: That 10th spot is a MUST. <_>

If we go down I genuinely don't think we'd get back into the Premiership for a considerable amount of time. We'd go down a similar path as Livingston have.

I can see the money retuning to the top flight when Sevco and the Edinburgh teams return and the gap will widen.

Motherwell would get swallowed up and could be forced to go part time.

It really could be that bad.

Anyone who things it wouldn't be too bad and could help bed in some long term changes aren't considered that this would be a complete and utter disaster in every single way for Motherwell FC.

Motherwell would get swallowed up and could be forced to go part time.

It really could be that bad.

Anyone who things it wouldn't be too bad and could help bed in some long term changes aren't considered that this would be a complete and utter disaster in every single way for Motherwell FC.

How do you know that Relegation would be a disaster ??. I would like to think Our new owner has this scenario in hand.

I'm still 'Keeping The Faith', as Leanne would put it, and believe that we'll come good and stay up this season via 10th spot.

I really can't understand the 'woe is me' and the 'end is nigh' attitude from some on here....make no mistakes about it, relegation will be a huge shock to the system, particularly for those that have never seen Motherwell in anything other than the top flight, myself being one, but to suggest that it will be the end for the Club, a downward spiral that we'll never recover from etc etc, is just plain nonsense and speculation based on absouletly hee-haw.

We'll re-group, try to re-gain promotion and if we fail, we'll carry on trying in some way, shape or form ...we'll always have a Club to support.

Being an old codger who saw his first Motherwell game in 1971, I have seen us relegated a couple of times, nearly relegated another couple. I would be disappointed if it happened again this year, but not distraught. It would be good opportunity in some ways to get club sorted out properly (as we appear to be starting to do now), ready for the Premiership (like Hearts are doing now). There are always highs and lows (and I have seen a lot of them) supporting a team like Motherwell, but as long as there is a Motherwell to support I for one will be there. SIWY and COYW!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My main concern with relegation is that we never get back to the Premiership. Look at Dunfermiline, Falkirk and Livingston as examples of this.

As a few have said, we would have our squad decimated in the summer and would have no leverage to attract better players as we would be in the diddy league.

Anyway I think even if we end up in the playoffs that we have enough about us to beat either Rangers, Hibs or QOS.

For what purpose and to what end?

To discuss the reality we are facing and the repercussions for the club and it's future.

My main concern with relegation is that we never get back to the Premiership. Look at Dunfermiline, Falkirk and Livingston as examples of this.

As a few have said, we would have our squad decimated in the summer and would have no leverage to attract better players as we would be in the diddy league.

Anyway I think even if we end up in the playoffs that we have enough about us to beat either Rangers, Hibs or QOS.

Yep. This is high on my list of concerns also.

Oh right, because you are aware even if Ross County win tonight, as long as we match them apart from one week and obviously beat them at FP it's nowhere near as much a certainty as you make out.

However let's not ignore the 2 legged playoff if we are unsuccessful in finishing 10th.

Lot of twists yet however you seem to permeate that it's a certainty.

• Like 2

It's not a reality at the mo

To discuss the reality we are facing and the repercussions for the club and it's future.

Yep. This is high on my list of concerns also.

It's not a reality though, only a possibility.

Regardless, 6 months ago, it would have given me the fear. With the new investment and improved business approaches, I think the impact would be less severe.

If Rangers didn't get promoted this time, it would make it more difficult for us to get out, but the financial situation would be healthier. There is also a better parachute payment to tide us over. There is no reason we couldn't do a Hearts if it happened.

However, even after Staruday's game, I think there is still a good chance it won't come to that.

Looking at it sensibly it's a big ask to avoid 11th place & I think we would need to avoid The Rangers to stay up ( not because their any good or dodgy refereeing decisions, but because we've rolled over to many times before to them )

Said this in the other thread but I wouldn't mind a season in the 1st division just for something different

Obviously that's on the basis we come straight back up

Some of the older posters hate the idea of it having seen it before, for me it might give me more of an appetite for the premiership when we came back.

Certainly don't think it would be a disaster

Looking at it sensibly it's a big ask to avoid 11th place & I think we would need to avoid The Rangers to stay up ( not because their any good or dodgy refereeing decisions, but because we've rolled over to many times before to them )

Rangers are the one team I'd take. Yep, on their day they could gub us but they are also the only team I'd fancy to fuck it up spectacularly - as they have done so many times this season.

Rangers are the one team I'd take. Yep, on their day they could gub us but they are also the only team I'd fancy to fuck it up spectacularly - as they have done so many times this season.

I don't know if others will agree but if we are going to go down, I think it might be for the best for Rangers to be promoted. I suspect they won't be as bad next season as this one and that leaves us playing for a play off place from the very start of the season.

I think we could compete against Hibs, QoS, St. Mirren, Falkirk for a Championship title but like I said Rangers I'd expect to be a lot better next season.

Of course that means being relegated by Rangers in a play off which is stomach turning. Like you say though I'd fancy us to win a play off against Rangers more than any of the others. The pressure on Rangers would be immense and I don't think their team is much better than ours at this moment.

I don't know if others will agree but if we are going to go down, I think it might be for the best for Rangers to be promoted. I suspect they won't be as bad next season as this one and that leaves us playing for a play off place from the very start of the season.

I think we could compete against Hibs, QoS, St. Mirren, Falkirk for a Championship title but like I said Rangers I'd expect to be a lot better next season.

Of course that means being relegated by Rangers in a play off which is stomach turning. Like you say though I'd fancy us to win a play off against Rangers more than any of the others. The pressure on Rangers would be immense and I don't think their team is much better than ours at this moment.

Think you make some valid points.

Although I'm not sure Rangers will be any better next season other than if you think McCall as a manager will make the difference.

I honestly don't see why people would fancy Rangers over Hibs.

They managed to embarrass us when they were in the 3rd division never mind now

Be fucking brilliant if we did beat them tho!!!!

Barring a miracle we are in the play offs. We need to play County or Thistle at home and beat them in the 1st game post split to bring it back to 3 or 4 points and hope either slip up

We do literally have to win all 5 games to have a chance.

County - 25 from 27 points - unbelievable and no thanks to us for helping start their impressive run

• Like 1

It's not over until it's over, but this is now looking pretty grim.

It's not wrong to speculate that we could be a Championship team next season because we are now adrift by six points and the top two or three teams in the Championship, let's face it, aren't that much better or worse than us. For me it's now 50/50 or maybe closer to 60/40 for relegation (due to the Championship the having upward momentum).

I'm going to have a read through this thread from the start, I want to see what my view was way back when it opened.

I skimmed through the full thread earlier (at work, obviously).

People are saying what they see in front of them whilst others are saying they are over reacting and we'll be fine. Basically the same discussions as we're having just now!!

It'll give me no pleasure to say "I told you so" when it comes to pass, whilst others will be in denial to the reality of the situation even when there's a team in claret and amber running out at Pamerston.