Relegation

milo

While it wasn't in the five-year plan to be relegated (I doubt we ever make plans for such an eventuality) Les has gone on record on saying the future of the club won't be in doubt.

Thought he said the future of the club if relegated wouldn't be in doubt if fans still turned up, bought into society, etc.

I doubt the club would cut season ticket, admission prices too much, if at all. Plus the lack of big games, product on the field, etc almost guarantees that our average attendance will drop below 3000. Thats not fans buying into the club as Les said on record.

He didn't claim fans had to buy into the idea of relegation, I think we all know that's not an ideal scenario, but I think there will be a hope from the higher powers at the club that relegation won't mean that previously loyal supporters just chuck it.

Thought he said the future of the club if relegated wouldn't be in doubt if fans still turned up, bought into society, etc.

I doubt the club would cut season ticket, admission prices too much, if at all. Plus the lack of big games, product on the field, etc almost guarantees that our average attendance will drop below 3000. Thats not fans buying into the club as Les said on record.

If you look at Falkirk, a similar sized club to ours, they have been down in the Championship for 5 seasons now and they still attract roughly the same number of fans that we do in the Premiership 3,500 - 4,000.

That proves that clubs can maintain a fan base a division down, if they are winning most weeks and challenging for promotion, although whether that's how it would go for us is open to question.

I'm swithering about whether or not to renew my season ticket, not as a knee-jerk reaction to this year but I simply just haven't been enjoying football for the last there or four. I'd be more likely to renew if we went down.

I think that's the more worrying underlying point, people becoming disengaged and losing a bit of desire to go along.

Probably another conversation entirely, but there's a number of alternatives now to football (fair number of them being other sports). Football needs to adapt to that quickly.

If we get relegated our attendances will drop way down and anyone who doesn't think that's the case is being very naïve. We can't compare to Hearts, Hibs etc who's crowds actually went up this season and the difference between us and Falkirk is they were a yoyo team anyway so their fans are used to it, ours aren't and our support will dwindle in the championship.Our average home crowds this season have been around 3600, we'll be lucky to get 2600 if we go down.

• Like 1

I'm swithering about whether or not to renew my season ticket, not as a knee-jerk reaction to this year but I simply just haven't been enjoying football for the last there or four. I'd be more likely to renew if we went down.

I'm pretty similar to you.

I went home & away every season until a couple of years ago where i just got fed up of watching the same teams year in year out.

I used to love going to Brockville & places like Tynecastle when it had no roof in the away stand when i was younger. Going to places like Kilmarnock twice a season where there no atmosphere is just brutal.

For me i'd be more likely to buy a season ticket if we go down just to experience something different

If and its a big IF we get relegated then I think what Frazzie is saying is spot on. I personally would be really worried about us being stuck in the Championship for a good few years as it has been shown to be a really competitive league. Also the chances of us holding on to some our better players would be slim and also the ability to attract better players will also be tricky.

One potential bonus though is that if we do well and are in a genuine title challenge then it will attract more people throuhg the turnstiles - see Hearts and Hibs as a good example of this.

But there is still a lot of football still to be played and after the QOS v Rangers result there is no guarentee that we will be playing them in a playoff - it could just as easily be QOS!!

We can debate about whether or not we'll go down and what it might mean in the short-term and long-term, but I think debating whether you look at such a terrible moment in the club's history with pure negativity or with a positive spin is a waste of time (as seems to be happening on occasion) - purely because it's human nature and therefore not really debatable. That's why it seems largely meaningless for some folk to be getting angry or annoyed that others aren't subscribing to the same negative or positive viewpoint they have of it.

We all love Motherwell F.C. and getting relegated would leave us all gutted. It would be a very disappointing and hugely negative event. When events like that occur folk generally respond in one of two ways. If you lose your job, you'll probably either be incredibly angry and upset or you'll tell yourself it's an opportunity to do something new. If your missus dumps you, you'll probably either slip into a depression or you'll convince yourself you can do better anyway. If the football club you've supported all your life gets relegated, you'll probably either immerse yourself in the negative aspects of it or you'll try and focus on any positive slants you can put on it.

That's why for every person suggesting relegation will be a catastrophe, there is someone else saying "well, at least there'll be some interesting away games". It's not about being "happy clappy" or a "doom merchant", and it's certainly not about anyone caring any more or any less than anyone else, it's just how individuals react to a fucking shite state of affairs differently.

There's no right or wrong way to respond to a very negative and devastating event but it's hardly worth debating human nature, or getting frustrated because you can't understand why someone else is on the other side of the fence to you.

I'm not getting involved in the whole issue about peoples reaction to relegation. I just agree with Frazzies points about if we do get relegated with reards to the actual club.

I'm just terrified we end up doing a Dunfermiline.

Oh aye, it wasn't in response to you at all - it was in response to the thread as a whole.

I'm not getting involved in the whole issue about peoples reaction to relegation. I just agree with Frazzies points about if we do get relegated with reards to the actual club.

I'm just terrified we end up doing a Dunfermiline.

:lol:

I sincerely hope you are not "terrified" about what may, or may not, happen in the future of MFC.

• Like 1

The fact is that there is now a very high chance we will go down. (And after reading the blinkered unrealistic view of the Thistle game which Baraclough came out with it seems even more likely to me)

But if it comes to relegation, what is the fucking point in all the pants-shitting? It's a waste of time and energy to just greet about it.

As fans we can do very little about it, and even if voicing our opinions mattered in terms of change at the club, it is now too late (beyond a last minute panicky change in manager which would be unlikely to have a positive effect at this stage).**

So if we get relegated should we all get down on our knees and start crying and wailing at the skies, or hope for the best ad just fucking accept what's going to happen is going to happen?

If the club go into administration and struggle, that's the only time we can actually do something about it and work with the Well Society etc to keep it going. Apart from that, we buy season tickets, as that is the only other major impact we can have outside shouting at the team on the pitch.

**And I really wish we could influence the manager not to pick Sutton and play him or our other two strikers as left sided midfielders for half a game, but we can't stop him if he wants to.

Somebody mentioned the crowds might go down. The away supports for clubs have been declining year on year, and outwith Celtic most away supports can be measured in the hundreds. Whilst, every bit counts the lose might not be that great given that either Rangers or Hibs may still be in that Championship. A change of opponent might bring one or two back, who were previously bored seeing the same opponents 4/5/6 times a season.

According to http://sport.stv.tv/football/272002-sfa-confirm-parachute-payments-for-premiership-playoff-clubs/:

The governing body confirmed that in the event of the eleventh placed team being relegated, they would receive a parachute payment of £500,000. If they fail to achieve promotion in the following season, they would then receive another payment of £250,000 the year afterwards.

If that's still true, it would certainly help offset gate revenue losses.

If we get relegated our attendances will drop way down and anyone who doesn't think that's the case is being very naïve. We can't compare to Hearts, Hibs etc who's crowds actually went up this season and the difference between us and Falkirk is they were a yoyo team anyway so their fans are used to it, ours aren't and our support will dwindle in the championship.Our average home crowds this season have been around 3600, we'll be lucky to get 2600 if we go down.

You can't honestly predict that with any real sense of certainty though. We've been a top flight club for thirty years, so it's really not easy to predict how we'd do crowd-wise if we dropped down, is it?

I mean, if we're up at the top of the table competing for the title you have to believe that we'd see some level of interest from our fans. Certainly as much interest as we have when we've found ourselves playing out the season in mid-table nothingness.

Ok we'd miss Celtic but Hibs and/or rangers would bring a few fans. How many do Ross County and ICT bring currently?