Relegation

milo

Good post. My overall impression is that we've improved since last season whilst rival clubs have tended to tread water or deteriorate. We have an improved squad, look to be better organised and have had a better season injury wise. That said, there's still considerable scope for improvement. The goals we lost on Saturday and the first at McDiarmid Park are still goals that we were losing 3,4,5 years ago. Maybe we're now losing less of them? We are scoring more and our striking department is definitely better than it was ie compare Moult and Sutton. Freak results like Tynecastle can always happen and hopefully it'll be a one off this season.

I think where it's quite interesting is where the improvement has been.

For example, when Baraclough was emptied we had 2 wins and a draw from 8 games so 7 points from 24 that was exactly the same as McCall's opening 8 games last season. A limited sample granted but it works out at 0.87 ppg or 29% of the points available (just for the sake of comparison by the time McCall eventually walked it was 7 points from 36, 0.58 ppg, 19% of available points)

Since McGhee's come in, for better or worse in terms of performances and regardless of the extent to which he may or may not have rubbed some fans the wrong way, he's taken 22 points from 18 games (1.22 ppg or 40% of points available) so with that information alone and especially considering he's had exactly the same squad of players to work with as Baraclough had (the 6 month loan of Gomis being the only addition to the squad he inherited) there's been an improvement not only from where we were last season but from where we were when Baraclough left.

There's still clearly massive room for improvement and results could obviously have been significantly better had it not been for lapses in concentration from players or unnecessarily messing around with shape but as a bare comparison between where we were and where we are now it's definitely small steps forward.

I have said it before, but outwith Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts all the other teams could beat each other. Also all the other teams have similar budgets...

The only team in that group who have been consistently poor is Dundee Utd and also they have a high player budget, but they also seem to have come on to a bit of a game.

As Skippy said 'making the top six is the best chance to avoid a relegation battle' and I think we have every chance of making that. As do about 6 other teams!!

It's a crazy season!

There's still clearly massive room for improvement and results could obviously have been significantly better had it not been for lapses in concentration from players or unnecessarily messing around with shape but as a bare comparison between where we were and where we are now it's definitely small steps forward.

I don't think there is room for "massive improvement". We can be better than we have been but we've come through a period where the bigger city clubs were in disarray and that period looks like it's over now and everything is returning to 'normal'.

Aberdeen and Hearts look miles ahead of any provincial club this season and certainly Rangers and perhaps Hibs will be in the top league again next season and you'd have to imagine they will be Top 6 sides.

Right now we are 4 points behind the best of the provincial clubs and I don't really think there is much chance of us competing beyond that level, ie, with any city clubs in the near future with the exception of Dundee United.

I grew up in the 80's and back then Motherwell finishing higher than 8th was eye popping. The year we won the cup we finished 6th in the league which was an amazing achievement in itself in an era of football when Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs basically had a hegemony in the top half of the league.

I reckon we are going back to the days when gate money basically determines where you finish in the league - with the odd anomoly.

I don't think there is room for "massive improvement". We can be better than we have been but we've come through a period where the bigger city clubs were in disarray and that period looks like it's over now and everything is returning to 'normal'.

Aberdeen and Hearts look miles ahead of any provincial club this season and certainly Rangers and perhaps Hibs will be in the top league again next season and you'd have to imagine they will be Top 6 sides.

Right now we are 4 points behind the best of the provincial clubs and I don't really think there is much chance of us competing beyond that level, ie, with any city clubs in the near future with the exception of Dundee United.

I grew up in the 80's and back then Motherwell finishing higher than 8th was eye popping. The year we won the cup we finished 6th in the league which was an amazing achievement in itself in an era of football when Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic, Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs basically had a hegemony in the top half of the league.

I reckon we are going back to the days when gate money basically determines where you finish in the league - with the odd anomoly.

I don't disagree, perhaps I was overstating a bit by saying a 'massive improvement'. I wasn't necessity meaning an improvement in league position more in terms of performance. Given some of the cheap goals we've lost this season that have cost us points there's room for us to be better in that respect. In turn even a marginal improvement could/would have a fairly significant impact on our season.

Results going in our favour tonight, particularly with Killie losing again. Not really looking like Clark is giving them the new manager bounce that you often see.

We can't rely on others doing us a favour but yes this was a good result for us. Our crowds aren't great but Killie only attracted 2,600 or thereabouts.

We can't rely on others doing us a favour but yes this was a good result for us. Our crowds aren't great but Killie only attracted 2,600 or thereabouts.

Totally agree. You saw what happened with County last year and the run they went on to get out of trouble so we can't rely on the teams below us continuing to drop points.

With Killie away at Aberdeen next, and Partick playing the top 3 plus St Johnstone away in the next two weeks you'd hope both those sides won't be adding much to their points total. It makes our game against Accies huge and a positive result could see a bit of a gap opening between us and 11th.

All ifs and buts obviously but I quite enjoy looking into all the permutations!

If we time a purple patch right, we may be lucky and scrape top 6. Even 7th would mean teams below us cutting each others throats.

Win our game in hand and we're 6 ahead of Killie with games running out.

Very much up to us if we stay up or not.

Killie are easing my play-off fears.

Killie will be easing Dundee utds relegation fears with the form they are in.

We seen it last season and hibs the season before,once you start sliding its hard to stop.

We had 36 points and hibs had 35 in the 2 years of the play-offs.

We are already on 32, can't see us not picking up another 8-10 points from our 10 remaining games. Which should see us safe??

7+ points before the split might see us pip St Johnstone or Dundee??

We had 36 points and hibs had 35 in the 2 years of the play-offs.

We are already on 32, can't see us not picking up another 8-10 points from our 10 remaining games. Which should see us safe??

7+ points before the split might see us pip St Johnstone or Dundee??

Don't think 35/36 points will do it this season. 40 points keeps you safe three quarters of the time but doesn't guarentee it. Think we should be looking to put another 10 points on the board, minimum.

The highest points total for 11th is 43 points I think and that was the only time it's been above 41 points.

It will be interesting to see if Dundee Utd can keep up their revival, if they do they could take valuable points away from the other bottom 6 teams.