Relegation

milo

Hibs have 'easier' games than Rangers - Alloa, Livingston and Falkirk, although Livingston have found a bit of form as they attempt to avoid relegation after a shocking season.

Rangers have Dumbarton, Falkirk and Hearts. Dumbarton have been in holiday mode for a couple of weeks being in mid table so you'd expect Rangers to win that easily enough but Falkirk and Hearts will be sterner tests.

Queen of the South could well get 9 points out of 9 from Alloa, Dumbarton and Livingston. If they did so they would still have a chance of finishing 3rd or even 2nd.

Going back to the original point, it's getting a bit more rational now. I didn't for a second suggest there wasn't a silver lining- anyone who knows me will realise that I'd be all over day trips to strange places and the thought of a title party at Fir Park (or even a Petrofac Cup win) is mouth-watering! However, as much as I acknowledge the silver lining, I'm not disregarding the fucking huge cloud. The fact that I said folk would come on and use the blanket "cut our cloth" line then Sparra did exactly that is quite amusing. I was looking for some facts or logic- we can all trot out cliches- and the post from weeyin was the closest that anyone preaching positivity came to that. I hope the parachute payment still exists.

The parachute payments do still exist, although i'm not 100% sure if the figures quoted are still the same. If they are, then a possible relegation is certainly not as catastrophic as it once was.

Looking at crowds, I wouldn't envisage the home crowd going down too much, if at all. Those who go and see Motherwell just now, will still go, whether it's Aberdeen or Arbroath we are playing. As for the away end, it's not as if the likes of Falkirk or Dumbarton are going to bring any less than Ross County or Inverness. You'd also have at least 1 big side down there (Rangers or Hibs).

Going back to the original point, it's getting a bit more rational now. I didn't for a second suggest there wasn't a silver lining- anyone who knows me will realise that I'd be all over day trips to strange places and the thought of a title party at Fir Park (or even a Petrofac Cup win) is mouth-watering! However, as much as I acknowledge the silver lining, I'm not disregarding the fucking huge cloud. The fact that I said folk would come on and use the blanket "cut our cloth" line then Sparra did exactly that is quite amusing. I was looking for some facts or logic- we can all trot out cliches- and the post from weeyin was the closest that anyone preaching positivity came to that. I hope the parachute payment still exists.

Well it's blatantly obvious we'd have to cut budgets etc! I replied directly to your 'cut our cloth' blanket comment. You've come back on as if you are Mystic Meg!

Looking at crowds, I wouldn't envisage the home crowd going down too much, if at all. Those who go and see Motherwell just now, will still go, whether it's Aberdeen or Arbroath we are playing. As for the away end, it's not as if the likes of Falkirk or Dumbarton are going to bring any less than Ross County or Inverness. You'd also have at least 1 big side down there (Rangers or Hibs).

There is also the chance that Morton could replace one of the smaller sides in the division, Cowdenbeath/Alloa.

There is also the chance that Morton could replace one of the smaller sides in the division, Cowdenbeath/Alloa.

Looking at the tables, it's maybe unlikely but Alloa and Cowdenbeath going down to be replaced by Morton and Stranraer actually leaves a decent league in the Championship next year as far as playing reasonable sized teams and having a couple of good away days goes.

Ideal scenario if I could choose now though would be to hump Sevco in a play-off.

Well it's blatantly obvious we'd have to cut budgets etc! I replied directly to your 'cut our cloth' blanket comment. You've come back on as if you are Mystic Meg!

Nah, you don't need to be Mystic Meg to predict people's reactions on here. My point at the beginning was that there would be a dismissive statement made with no specifics to ease my mind. To back up your point, I was looking for a reassurance in terms of how that cloth can be cut without catastrophic consequences. If we'd given Hammell, Lasley and McManus one year deals at the start of this season like any sensible person would have, you could have pointed out that we could cut McManus loose and offer the other two vastly reduced terms, for example. However, I genuinely can't think of where any reassurances are coming from.

We can debate the football and social side of it all day long, and you might even talk me round to enjoying a wee stint down there, but my ultimate concern is how we'll balance the books, and we've seen too many examples in recent times of what can happen to clubs that fail to do that.

Nah, you don't need to be Mystic Meg to predict people's reactions on here. My point at the beginning was that there would be a dismissive statement made with no specifics to ease my mind. To back up your point, I was looking for a reassurance in terms of how that cloth can be cut without catastrophic consequences. If we'd given Hammell, Lasley and McManus one year deals at the start of this season like any sensible person would have, you could have pointed out that we could cut McManus loose and offer the other two vastly reduced terms, for example. However, I genuinely can't think of where any reassurances are coming from.

We can debate the football and social side of it all day long, and you might even talk me round to enjoying a wee stint down there, but my ultimate concern is how we'll balance the books, and we've seen too many examples in recent times of what can happen to clubs that fail to do that.

I think those involved at the club are well aware of the consequences of dropping down a league.

They have been battling reduced attendances in recent years in vain and while relegation will turn some off, I don't forsee much of change there. Admittedly that's based only on the people I've spoken to, but there's not many here saying they'll be throwing in the towel either.

Playing budgets will have to be cut, do players have relegation clauses where their wages drop? I've got no idea! In terms of extending contracts of the more experienced players, it's surely hindsight that two-year deals were the wrong option, certainly didn't seem the case after all three players you mentioned played a big part in our second place finish last season.

The club have also been open in their approach to bringing on younger players and selling them on for profit, this direction must be followed.

At the end of the day though you are worrying about things you can't control (leading to me now doing the same) all we can do is go along and support the team regardless of what league we are in.

I think those involved at the club are well aware of the consequences of dropping down a league.

Then have been battling reduced attendances in recent years in vain and while relegation will turn some off, I don't forsee much of change there. Admittedly that's based only on the people I've spoken to, but there's not many here saying they'll be throwing in the towel either.

Playing budgets will have to be cut, do players have relegation clauses where their wages drop? I've got no idea! In terms of extending contracts of the more experienced players, it's surely hindsight that two-year deals were the wrong option, certainly didn't seem the case after all three players you mentioned played a big part in our second place finish last season.

The club have also been open in their approach to bringing on younger players and selling them on for profit, this direction must be followed.

At the end of the day though you are worrying about things you can't control (leading to me now doing the same) all we can do is go along and support the team regardless of what league we are in.

I don't know how to quote different parts so apologies...

1. Definitely not hindsight. I'm sure you'll find posts on here from myself and others saying it was mental. Lasley and Hammell have been signing one year deals on slightly reduced terms for a few seasons now and there was no reason to change that. I've been saying for years that a simple rule of thumb would have been 3 year deals for anyone 30 rather than just two year deals for every bugger.

2. Of course I'm worrying about things I can't control- that's what being a football fan is. We all do it every time a ball is crossed into the Motherwell box.

I don't know how to quote different parts so apologies...

2. Of course I'm worrying about things I can't control- that's what being a football fan is. We all do it every time a ball is crossed into the Motherwell box.

Not the same as asking the boy beside you for reassurances to deal with said cross....

I would doubt if this is true, although you have to take into consideration a player's age. Craig Brown was in charge what 5 years ago (?) when Lasley & Hammell would have been in their prime say 27/28.

Normally speaking if a player signs a 2 or 3 year contract then his wages increase annually.

I can't quite remember if it was one or both of them, but as far I know at one period of negotation there was an off-setting of a slight reduction in terms with what the player(s) would garner through a Testimonial Year.

I'm pretty sure though that each of their last three contracts with us have all been two-year deals.

• Like 1