Relegation

milo

Ideal scenario, is to be absolutely naewhere near a play-off

My ideal scenario has a guarantee that we win the play-off, stay up, get a bit of cash and get it right up Sevco. Clearly there can be no guarantee but if it panned out that way it'd be ideal.

Obviously being nowhere near the play-off is the only guaranteed way to stay up and would be less stressful. The flip side as we're all aware is being relegated by Sevco, managed by the guy who left us in a sorry mess staring at relegation in the first place.

Old cliché of one game at a time is my approach though. Beat Accies then see where we are and go again.

As bad as we've been I don't think anyone down there is better than us in potential at least. Form is a different matter though.

The two big problems are we've consistently choked in pressure games and obviously these play off matches would be pressure games.

Secondly, we might fall apart now like St. Mirren did when they realised relegation was inevitable. If Ross County win tomorrow, and probably even if they only get a point given the goal difference, it's going to be inevitable that we go into the play offs.

I've followed the Well since 1968 through all the ups and downs and my favourite season was when we were in the old first division under Davie Hay . we played good football, scored lots of goals and the fans were entertained . The bottom line is we were 'winning' games and the fans went home happy. There was something to play for and everyone got behind the team.

Where are we now?

We are beat before we get on the park. A new manager has come in with fresh ideas ,trying to change things ,trying to get a bunch of seasoned pros and 'journeymen' to get into his way of thinking. Baraclough was beaten before he started.Bit of contraversy now , he reminds me of a Mr Gannon who also came in with fresh ideas! What we needed was a Craig Brown to come in and steady the ship again , someone who has done the rounds and knew the Scottish game and would have kept us in with a shout of avoiding relegation. It may not have been pretty but we would have been difficult to beat.

If you are a seasoned pro and this guy tells you to play a certain way that you 'feel' is crap then you are going onto the pitch thinking 'this won't work' then it won't hence we are where we are. Bringing in some more 'seasoned' players was like a sticking plaster to stem the flow from a major artery that was gushing all season. It helped for a short while but as is now being seen we need major surgery!

Maybe it's time to go down to the championship and start again with new blood and perhaps give Mr Baraclough the chance to build something good. ( I've not forgotten that we are a selling club, which means that if we do build something good it won't last . talk to Hibs supporters abouth their 'good' team which was plundered) . But if Mr baraclough can get a system in place where a talent production line can work then lets go for it. It will be a big gamble ( remember Man U fans wanted rid of Fergie in his first season!)

The alternative, we carry on with seasoned pros, journeymen who will give us more of the same dross we have witnessed this season and perhaps put us into a Dunfermline like freefall.

Nuff said ,what do you think

• Like 1

I've followed the Well since 1968 through all the ups and downs and my favourite season was when we were in the old first division under Davie Hay . we played good football, scored lots of goals and the fans were entertained . The bottom line is we were 'winning' games and the fans went home happy. There was something to play for and everyone got behind the team.

Where are we now?

We are beat before we get on the park. A new manager has come in with fresh ideas ,trying to change things ,trying to get a bunch of seasoned pros and 'journeymen' to get into his way of thinking. Baraclough was beaten before he started.Bit of contraversy now , he reminds me of a Mr Gannon who also came in with fresh ideas! What we needed was a Craig Brown to come in and steady the ship again , someone who has done the rounds and knew the Scottish game and would have kept us in with a shout of avoiding relegation. It may not have been pretty but we would have been difficult to beat.

If you are a seasoned pro and this guy tells you to play a certain way that you 'feel' is crap then you are going onto the pitch thinking 'this won't work' then it won't hence we are where we are. Bringing in some more 'seasoned' players was like a sticking plaster to stem the flow from a major artery that was gushing all season. It helped for a short while but as is now being seen we need major surgery!

Maybe it's time to go down to the championship and start again with new blood and perhaps give Mr Baraclough the chance to build something good. ( I've not forgotten that we are a selling club, which means that if we do build something good it won't last . talk to Hibs supporters abouth their 'good' team which was plundered) . But if Mr baraclough can get a system in place where a talent production line can work then lets go for it. It will be a big gamble ( remember Man U fans wanted rid of Fergie in his first season!)

The alternative, we carry on with seasoned pros, journeymen who will give us more of the same dross we have witnessed this season and perhaps put us into a Dunfermline like freefall.

I like your sentiment with this and there is a lot to be said for playing in a league you actually have a chance of winning. I think that the problem is that financially the drop can be almost catastrophic.

I hope that the people that run the club have kept one eye on the possibility of Championship football next season since the moment Baraclough came in because If they have gone for an approach of throwing money at the problem to keep us up (a win or bust approach) then next season could be very bleak indeed.

I get the fear every time I hear the world journeyman, whether it be manager or player because it suggests to me a short term approach, the very approach that has brought about our ultimate demise this season (I'm thinking of a list of Bradford players that McCall rolled in and players at the very end of their careers like McManus). Also the journeyman managers like Calderwood and Jeffries that some would have because they know the Scottish game is a turn off for me.

I have been a strong supporter of Baraclough and I was a very encouraged by Jim Gannon's appointment because it was an attempt to try something different.

The difference between Accies and ourselves is that Accies have built a team over three, four seasons and we have continually papered over cracks with journeymen and players past their prime.

If the drop is not going to be financially catastrophic then maybe the drop could work out well in the long term. I just hope that the club have been preparing for this and that they see baraclough as a man who has the attributes to build for the future.

The difference regarding Fergie, was he had talent and served his time at East Stirling, St.Mirren (excellent young team) and then the glorious Aberdeen team.

Where does The similarities equate with Baraclough other than the problematic start at the club?

I also enjoyed swanning around the country watching Davie Hay's 1 season team, however, I've absolutely no desire to re witness the crap endured for 2-3 seasons before the "right man" changed poor to mediocre football.

It gives me no pleasure, seeing Motherwell FC slump into its current predicament, but mistake after mistake has compounded our demise. I just don't see the quick return many express, if we do go down. Gutted!

I honestly think we may be doomed. If we play anything like we have in the last two, we defo are.

I can't decided what would be worse, being relegated by Rangers in the play off or being relegated by A.N. Other and having to play rangers 4 times.

I'd fancy us against Hibs. QoS have a plastic pitch and we still struggle on those. Rangers are nothing special, but our recent history would mean they could field their U-14s and beat us.

I'm hoping Hammell will be back to help shore up our defence, because otherwise they are going to cost us dear. We have been leaking soft goals for far too long now.

I honestly think we may be doomed. If we play anything like we have in the last two, we defo are.

I can't decided what would be worse, being relegated by Rangers in the play off or being relegated by A.N. Other and having to play rangers 4 times.

If we do get relegated we should take the foul tasting medicine and hope for better next season. That means going down to Rangers.

Being in the Championship with Rangers next season is surely the worst of all possible outcomes.

I'd fancy us against Hibs. QoS have a plastic pitch and we still struggle on those. Rangers are nothing special, but our recent history would mean they could field their U-14s and beat us.

I'm hoping Hammell will be back to help shore up our defence, because otherwise they are going to cost us dear. We have been leaking soft goals for far too long now.

For me Rangers, Hibs and QoS are all of very similar quality so I don't see any real advantage in terms of actually form and quality of player. Of course you then bring in things like the psychological effect of playing Rangers and the, as you say, the plastic pitch at Dumfries. So maybe then Hibs would be our best bet. At any rate I wouldn't put any money on any of the teams to get to the play off final, I think it really is completely open.

I think our full backs are worse than our centre backs right now. Lang and McManus, while not great, have been a big improvement on what was there before but Straker and Law just aren't good enough. For me Ramsden cannot be trusted any longer, what with terrible form and his short fuse, and Hammell has hardly played all season and will obviously be pretty rusty so I don't think we really have a lot of options to be honest.

As you say, if some of the more seasoned pros aren't feeling what the manager is telling them to do, then they should be shipped out, which is what I think will happen in the summer.

I get what you're saying about a Craig Brown type, but I honestly think that such an appointment flies in the face of the structure the club are looking to implement. We need a young manager with fresh ideas and who is on board with how the new owner wants things to progress.Hutchinson and the other staff have obvious liked what he's put forward and the ideas that he has, and to be fair, removing him from the job before he's had a chance to drop some dead wood and make some proper summer signings would be mental and a step backwards.

As I said in the other thread, he needs time to bring his own men in properly, not just make a load of emergency style signings in January.

I'll judge him three or four months into his first full season, when he's had a proper summer to make the changes he sees necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

next week will be very difficult, as we seldom get good results at their ground. However, we've got everything to play for, and with a bit of luck we can sneak it. St Mirren might have got a lift from their result today, but that result together with last nights result would have boosted our own confidence.