Relegation

milo

The "2 throws of the dice" is a good point actually. Pearo being available from Saturday onwards could be pivotal. I know I'm repeating myself, but I do believe we may have the players to get us out of trouble. My concern is Barraclough won't deploy them!

Of course nothing is certain but if we go down I predict we'll be down for years.

We could speculate on what will happen in the next three months, but what are the opinions on what will happen if we do go down?

I think we are better equipped for it than we were in October, with the infrastructure changes we have seen, and we have the benefit of a lot of big contracts coming off the books.

However, I don't think we will come straight back up since we will be competing with saints or county, and two out of rangers, hibs, and qos, and with two bigger clubs set to come up next year, missing out on the gate revenue could set us back a few years too.

The thing that worries me most is that we have so many players out of contract. If it does happen, we are basically going to have to rebuild the team with probably fewer season ticket sales, less gate income, less money coming in generally and a whole lot of player budget cuts.

Player recruitment would be absolutely crucial otherwise we could go from being a Premiership standard team to being a bog standard or worse Championship level team over a close season.

Laing had a nightmare debut but we need him to be better than anything else we've had this season and shore up the defence.

We definitely need Pearson and Hammell back.

We'll need more than an in form Laing and Pearson and Hammell back if we're to stop shipping goals. We have to stop giving opposing teams acres of space on the edge of our box and on the wings. We have to stop them firing in shots on sight and stop slinging over cross after cross. Stevie Hammell will certainly help matters in an attacking sense but he's not the best of defenders. If we start defending properly 35 metres from goal then we'll stop losing so many goals.

Apart from a few games attended this season, I gave up and turned my back on watching uninspiring football.Stuart McCall's tactics and constant shoehorning players into unbalanced formations finished me off.

However, can I ask others how things are developing under Iain Baraclough ?I listened to some of his interviews and he definitely comes across as a very articulate man with a clear vision. However, what I've subsequently watched hasn't equated!My initial thoughts have alarm bells ringing!

Can anyone with more insight, enlighten me on progression to ensure our division survival and how the players are responding to his methods and philosophies?

P.S. Mr Baraclough - WALK THE WALK

The situation we are facing is totally in our own hands. I refuse to accept that we haven't got what it takes to get out this mess, and despite all the major issues us as fans can see on the park, we have to take into account bad luck with injuries, a clear lack of confidence, 7 new players trying to bed into the squad and a relatively new manager - not to mention new owner, assistant, directors, scout, etc.

The result yesterday was a hard one to take, and do agree that St.Mirren and Ross County are looking better than us form wise at present. But I believe we are only one win away from gaining the much needed confidence, that could propel us on a good run that will take us out of trouble.

I'm I shitting it at the thought of relegation? Of course I am. But the ship isn't sinking just yet, still time to save it and I think we will hang on and survive.

Reading these boards really rile me at times, as there is so much utter negativity and contempt, and surely that gets passed onto players (through reading/hearing about whats written here and with support at games). They need a proper kick up there arse, but don't think for one second all the pros in our dressing room won't be hurting and as determined to avoid the drop as much as us - the more senior pros especially.

It's going to be a very rough few months and a lot of it will be spent watching throw my hands - but the changes off the park have installed a positivity in me that we are moving in the right direction and that will be enough to see us pip St.Mirren and Ross County, with the possibility of Patrick being drawn into the mix.

Apart from a few games attended this season, I gave up and turned my back on watching uninspiring football.Stuart McCall's tactics and constant shoehorning players into unbalanced formations finished me off.

However, can I ask others how things are developing under Iain Baraclough ?I listened to some of his interviews and he definitely comes across as a very articulate man with a clear vision. However, what I've subsequently watched hasn't equated!My initial thoughts have alarm bells ringing!

Can anyone with more insight, enlighten me on progression to ensure our division survival and how the players are responding to his methods and philosophies?

That's the problem though, there is no improvement on the pitch whatsoever!!

Barraclough talks a good game, even a great game, and certainly says all the right things pre-match and most of the things in the post-match (disaster) analysis make sense.

In the games themselves there is little or no eveidence whasoever that his vision/tactics/message is any different from early/mid season McCall!

In the games themselves there is little or no eveidence whasoever that his vision/tactics/message is any different from early/mid season McCall!

McCall's vision and tactics were the least of our worries. Basic player incompetence seems to be our biggest enemy this year, and that's a lot harder to coach out of people when confidence is low -- hence the 'ship in as many new players as we can and hope they turn it around before they get dragged down themselves' gamble, I guess.

That's the problem though, there is no improvement on the pitch whatsoever!!

There most definitely is. We created more chances and had more efforts on goal than I've seen in any game this season. A few weeks ago we'd have lost the game 4 or 5 - 0. Defensively we are still weak however.

We'll need more than an in form Laing and Pearson and Hammell back if we're to stop shipping goals. We have to stop giving opposing teams acres of space on the edge of our box and on the wings. We have to stop them firing in shots on sight and stop slinging over cross after cross. Stevie Hammell will certainly help matters in an attacking sense but he's not the best of defenders. If we start defending properly 35 metres from goal then we'll stop losing so many goals.

Hammell is a huge huge miss for us. When he is at left back we seem to defend 20 yards further up the pitch. Which game in the last 10 did we defend very well in? Dec 27th v Partick when Hammell played. Maybe not better at defending but positionally much more assured than Angol, Straker, Reid or whoever else we have thrown in at left back. We deserved a draw at Tannadice and probably in the end did against St JOhnstone. We're still not very good but there are signs of baby stepped progress. We need to keep making them.

loada contradictory shite

1424122429[/url]' post='432711']

loada contradictory shite

Care to elaborate ya big pussy!

IMO - I think he's a bullshitter! However, I'm asking opinions of others who possibly have more knowledge of I.B. and how things are developing.I'd gladly be miles of the mark, just my first impressions though!

IMO - I think he's a bullshitter! However, I'm asking opinions of others who possibly have more knowledge of I.B. and how things are developing.I'd gladly be miles of the mark, just my first impressions though!

The fact that arguably Motherwells most successful manager of the last half century turned you away from supporting the team, is there any point in trying to enter into a reasonable discussion with you about the credentials of a guy who has us sitting 11th?

We could speculate on what will happen in the next three months, but what are the opinions on what will happen if we do go down?

The same that happens with other teams like us who've been relegated, we'd cut our cloth accordingly and try to win enough games to see us come back up.

It would be very far from ideal, but it would hardly be armageddon. Clubs like Hamilton, Dundee, Dunfermline and so on have bounced between the divisions over the past ten years or so without going out of business. I imagine we'd do the same.

Your posts remind me of Swiss cheese, full of holes mate

The same that happens with other teams like us who've been relegated, we'd cut our cloth accordingly and try to win enough games to see us come back up.

It would be very far from ideal, but it would hardly be armageddon. Clubs like Hamilton, Dundee, Dunfermline and so on have bounced between the divisions over the past ten years or so without going out of business. I imagine we'd do the same.

Eh? All 3 were dangerously close to going bust at one point due to bouncing around the divisions. Dundee on several occasions, Dunfermline very recently and Accies chequered history is well known.

Make no mistake about it, relegation is a very real threat to our future.

The fact that arguably Motherwells most successful manager of the last half century turned you away from supporting the team, is there any point in trying to enter into a reasonable discussion with you about the credentials of a guy who has us sitting 11th?

We played some really good football under McCall for the last 6 months of season 2012/13 but overall the standard of play under him wasn't great and was often pretty poor.

1424158712[/url]' post='432722']

I'm genuinely asking the question, because I started to think there was too much talk and no action! So, do people see an improvement! I'm happy to have any sensible discussion with posters especially when it's my team, Frazzle.

Eh? All 3 were dangerously close to going bust at one point due to bouncing around the divisions. Dundee on several occasions, Dunfermline very recently and Accies chequered history is well known.

Make no mistake about it, relegation is a very real threat to our future.

Aye, but how many of them went bust because they got relegated?

Most clubs of our size are operating close to the breadline the majority of the time anyway, aren't they? If we went down we'd simply have to cut our cloth accordingly, like most other clubs do.

Relegation is a real threat though, I agree there. The past few years have been an anomaly of sorts though, haven't they? We're realistically a top six club at best.

In Dundee's case, the second time was due to not getting promotion after speculating to accumulate. Relegation was almost certainly a factor in Dunfermline nearly going to the wall.

Yeah, but the truth is there are clubs in that division who are similar in size to us and they do survive. All I'm saying is that I don't think we'd be going to the wall if we did get relegated.

If the new ownership believes in the idea of bringing players through the ranks, not over-paying for talent and cutting our cloth to suit our income then I'm certain we'd be just fine (and by just fine I mean survive).

I have a feeling we're going to see some major changes this summer anyways with so many players out of contract.

Again, is it ideal? Not at all, but it won't be the end of the world.