Motherwell V St Johnstone 31/01/15

Yabba's Turd

I won't judge Laing on 25mins. Straker made a tentative start and seemed to struggle in the first half. May have been due to being unfamiliar with his team mates or playing in a side that struggled to do anything constructive in that 45mins. Certainly much better in the second 45. Seems composed on the ball and able to link effectively with those in front of him. Didn't see much pace from him. Initial impression is that he'll do okay.

For the next game, the centre back partnership should be Kerr + A.N. Other. Sadly it won't be.

Erwin looked good today as did Moore when he came on. Sutton was decent and Ramsden came on to a game in the second half.

New guys. Straker looked like he was going to challenge for the Abel Thermeus Award for worst ever Motherwell player in the first half. Looked better when he went to left back. Laing and O'Brien look a disastrous partnership. Whether one or the other would look better alongside another player, I couldn't say. O'Brien hasn't impressed really so maybe Laing would be better with Kerr or McManus.

A point gained given how things were at half time. Problem is we don't seem to know a good starting lineup but occasionally stumble on to a better team...

I thought Kerr quite well today but there was still a couple of tackles that he put in that I just don't think you can make in modern football. Lucky for him we had a complete haddie in charge.

Straker certainly didn't look like someone who's natural instinct is to get forward.

Delighted with a point for all Saints domination of the game they were feckin pish, wee dan hardly had a save to make.1st half we had no threat but kept ourselves in the game, after Thomas and Moore came on we started to look more of a danger going forward, a we got the reward, great work by Thomas and a good finish by Sutton.

As for the new boys Straker took a while to settle but showed some nice touches 2nd half but cant really judge after 1 game.And as for Laing that feckin bawbag Collum ruined his debut. Still a decent point though with 10 men onwards and upwards

On paper, probably one of the worst starting XIs I've ever seen for Motherwell so I went into the game with low expectations. Whatever is going on, it's almost impossible to compete when you have the experience of Hammell, Lasley, McManus and Pearson all missing.

And true to form, we looked like we were in for a hiding as we didn't resemble a professional team whatsoever in the 1st half and the new signings left a lot to be desired. Strangely though, St Johnstone took pity on us when we went down to 10 and left scope for Thomas, Erwin and Moore to take the game by the scruff of the neck later on. Which they duly did.

All in all, pleased with a point and encouraged by the potential of the 3 young ones that have a bit of quality, heart and bravery on the ball. Another positive was the energy levels towards the end, a marked improvement on McCalls time.

Couple of signings required by Monday but they have to be of a higher standard than the debutants on show today.

• Like 1

The worrying thing is most of the fans could pick a better team from the players available than Barraclough!

The new boys aren't exactly getting glowing reports for their debuts, eh?

Not exactly heartening to think we have brought in much needed players who are worse than what we already have!

Is this a taste of what we're to expect in the summer?!

Absolute ballocks, crap and rubbish

Red card was a stick on 100% correct decision. Can pick many flaws in Collum's game but he got that one right...

I'm interested to see the highlights. From my view in the Cooper, I'm not sure it was even a foul. Looked like the St Johnstone player pulled at Laing, they both stumbled and fell with Laing ending up on top of the guy. I could, however, be completely wrong!

1422728172[/url]' post='431028']

Delighted with a point for all Saints domination of the game they were feckin pish, wee dan hardly had a save to make.1st half we had no threat but kept ourselves in the game, after Thomas and Moore came on we started to look more of a danger going forward, a we got the reward, great work by Thomas and a good finish by Sutton.

As for the new boys Straker took a while to settle but showed some nice touches 2nd half but cant really judge after 1 game.And as for Laing that feckin bawbag Collum ruined his debut. Still a decent point though with 10 men onwards and upwards

Wee Dan turns crosses into shots by parrying them, so I would thinks Bara must be looking at goalies

Sorry, I thought it was a sending off, Laing seemed to be dreaming and the boy got in front of him

The young boys (Erwin, Moore, Thomas, watt)do seem more comfortable on the ball, there aren't too many others in that team I would be anxious to keep

Delighted with a point ,at the end

Well I certainly didn't expect to be writing about getting a point at half-time that's for sure!

The first forty-five was awful. From Saints goal where they walked right through us to the sending off to absolutely nothing being created in a positive sense it was just awful. We seemed resigned to our fate from the minute Laing went off. Fortunately St Johnstone seemed to click immediately that we looked resigned to our fate, had they gone in for the kill in that first half they could have put the game to bed 3:45pm without much resistance.

And there was the second half. Quite a transformation in attitude and performance. That was really gritty. Often not easy on the eye but some excellent endeavour put in perhaps typified by Lee Erwin and when at last someone was introduced with that little bit of creativity and threat in Dominic Thomas it was enough to get a goal and a precious point.

I think most had targeted this one as a game we had to take something and I'm delighted and relieved that we did. We are still going to Dingwall in a fortnight under pressure not to lose but we go there now knowing we've had an improved performance at Tannadice and we've battled hard and come out with a point with 10 men today. It would have worried me knowing they had two weeks to worry about going to play Ross County having lost six on the bounce.

Of course these are very modest steps and it's still a scunner that we've dropped to second bottom but there's still life there yet.

I thought the red card looked a stonewaller, in saying that I was pretty much the other side of the ground. Laing got caught wrong side of the St Johnstone player in the first place and thats what led to the foul unfortunately. I thought Erwin played much better with Moore & Thomas round about him, as opposed to Sutton & Law in the first half. Would like to see these 3(Erwin, Moore & Thomas) getting a start together to see what they can do. Certainly worth a try.

First half, meh. Second, impressed with Straker, Erwin and general increased va va voom. As others have said, credit where it's due, Bara ain't afraid to kick ass at HT, and make changes where needed. Will it be enough when he's playing with a full deck? Mibbes aye...

The first half was dreadful. Laing seemed to me to be a bit too casual which subsequently led to his deserved straight red. I'm sure when he returns we will see a marked improvement in his attitude.

Straker was non existent in first half but did well at times in 2nd half to keep things simple and composed. Certainly can't see him being anything like a "pacy winger". Looked much more comfortable at left back.

Suttons general play was woeful but as long as he keeps putting his chances away like that then it's hard to be critical.

If only we had the enthusiasm of Moore, Thomas and Erwin for the full 90 then we could've nicked it.

After possibly the worst first half you will see from a professional team, it was credit to the manager for the 2nd half turnaround with 10 men. Reid and Kerr did ok as a makeshift centerback pairing, better looking than O'Brien and Laing. The new guy Straker looks like a left back not a winger and improved when Thomas came on.

Law is a right back just leave him there please.

St Johnstone came out the blocks chasing everything and closing us down and we were not up to the pressure, the midfield was non existent. either in a creative or defensive way. In the 2nd half our possession and passing of the ball was better and Thomas running with the ball was committing players sure he loses it a lot but his play created the goal not forgetting a great strike from Sutton. Great point to recover from the 10 men and first half nightmare

I thought the red card looked a stonewaller, in saying that I was pretty much the other side of the ground. Laing got caught wrong side of the St Johnstone player in the first place and thats what led to the foul unfortunately. I thought Erwin played much better with Moore & Thomas round about him, as opposed to Sutton & Law in the first half. Would like to see these 3(Erwin, Moore & Thomas) getting a start together to see what they can do. Certainly worth a try.

Completely agree. We absolutely have to start Erwin, Moore and Thomas together.

Why Law was signed is bad enough but why he is continually persisted with is criminal.

Pleased with a very decent point.

First half pish. Second half a lot lot better with more determination, composure and forward play.

Pleased with Thomas and Erwin. Moore looked busy. Kerr and Reid did well in the second half too. Can't judge Laing really - he had a couple of mistakes but we won't know if that was a nervous start or if he is always like that until he get a couple of games in. Straker was quiet in the first half but majority of game was on the other side of the pitch. Thought he slotted in very well at left back. Composed and played the ball out rather than just a clearance.

I won't judge Laing on 25mins. Straker made a tentative start and seemed to struggle in the first half. May have been due to being unfamiliar with his team mates or playing in a side that struggled to do anything constructive in that 45mins. Certainly much better in the second 45. Seems composed on the ball and able to link effectively with those in front of him. Didn't see much pace from him. Initial impression is that he'll do okay.

My thoughts too. I thought Straker looked useful and will settle in when playing with better players. He was asked to play all over the shop even on the right hand side for a spell. Young Watt had a poor game and that didn't help Straker having to cover for him. Law was poor and Dan looked shaky in the air. The midfield in general was dire in the first half and failed to protect the defence. Immediately prior to the red card incident (I'll need to check it but it looked soft) the Saints player who made the pass was offside according to the manager.

Second half was much better and Moore, Erwin and Thomas all contributed energy and threat. Reid did well in a makeshift defence.

Overall I was happy with a draw which was deserved. Our starting line up lacked pace and creativity and that contributed in no small part to a very poor first half.

A decent point and fightback given the circumstances and we must take into account the number of players missing - few teams could cope with that injury list.

Oh and did Faddy impress anyone today? Didn't do a thing in my book.