Andrew Wilson - Reflections On Motherwell

David

I know this is doing the rounds on social media, but I thought I'd post it here nonetheless;

I felt surprisingly more emotional that I had anticipated. On an audio call this week the Board of Motherwell FC convened to agree a deal that secured our financial position. I and some others had to resign to make way for the representatives of Les Hutchinson who had made the lifesaving loan in return for equity. The deal gives the Well Society time to reach its financial goal of securing enough funds to ensure the Club’s financial strategy is sustainable and in fans hands. Let us see where it takes us, but it was a critical lifesaving moment. Thank you Mr Hutchinson you will get all the support we can muster to make this good.

We ran through the agenda under the watchful eye of a man I have known since we were 4, Graham Keys the club’s company secretary and solicitor is one of my best friends. Last item was the resignations. “How do we do this Graham” I asked? “Do i need to write to you”? …. “err no, just say, ‘I resign’ we’ll minute it and get the forms off to Companies House”. Easy. “OK, I resign”.

Didn’t think I would care so much, but I did. It felt very emotional in an era of emotion for me.

Over the years since I joined the board in October 2010 I learned many, many things. Some are really important for Motherwell supporters to learn and understand.

Our job was complicated. John Boyle placed myself Jim McMahon, Derek Weir and Leeann Dempster as Trustees in control of his equity. We then went about setting up the Well Society as the vehicle to raise funds to reach a target reserve of £1.5m that would mean the club’s financial strategy could continue with a safety net and John Boyle could retire. As the funds were gathered so too could fans come on the Board and eventually the society would run the club.

The model has been successful in that it works. What hasn’t yet is the number of people joining. Fewer than 1 in 4 of our season ticket holders joined. We know why. Lanarkshire is a county where people work hard but few are wealthy. Times are tough and money is not plenty. At the same time fans felt the club was well run as it is and on the field success betrayed a really difficult financial underpin. A string of seasons without cup success or player sales put the financial strategy at great risk.

Last summer we had to draft a financial report warning fans that if the Society targets weren’t reached by November then outside investment would be sought and the model could have to be abandoned. In the end the injection of Les Hutchinson’s loan has bought the model time. But we cannot and must not relax just because a billionaire is part of the club. He is here to give us the time to show self reliance and independence as a club, not to bankroll us indefinitely. It’s a loan and it must be paid back. the hard work starts now.

Fans should know the remarkable devotion, commitment and work that Derek Weir put in and continues to. He is a really experienced business leader who knows his own mind and is strong. He stood firm when he needed to, shouted when he needed to. He fought long and hard to keep the cashflow working at moments when the club could have fallen over. He guaranteed loans and put his own money in. I saw a man who is what banking should be about again. He is my firm friend and will remain so. We all of us, all of us, should shake his hand and say ‘thank you’ if we see him at any game. I can’t begin to describe how important his service has been to our club’s success and survival day in, day out for years.

In Jim McMahon we have one of the cleverest fans in the world who happily for us has devoted himself to the board for more than a decade. Like Derek he has taught me an immense amount over that time and without him we just wouldn’t be here as a club. Again I count him as a close friend and he will remain one. I learn from him every time i see him.

Alan Burrows is a very clever, capable and utterly devoted young man. As Head of Communications he ran a team that did some of the best marketing and communications work I have seen anywhere. On a shoe string they ran a website, social media, press, publication and fan communications strategy that was beyond peer given the resources at hand. Oh and they launched their own TV channel. He stepped up to be General Manager and will be a success in that role and whatever else he does. He just got engaged to his beautiful partner and the best days of his life are all ahead. Again he is a firm friend of mine.

I keep saying firm friend because that is what our club is. A band of brothers (and sisters) who stand shoulder to shoulder through the storms of life. Of course it is just a game and a sport. But it is also about who we are and where we are from. It is about pride in our story and in each other. It is about moments that punctuate our lives and that we will never forget.

The day Davie Cooper bossed us to a survival win against Falkirk. The day he died. The day Phil O’Donnell scored at Hampden, brave as a lion. The great days when he returned and our team was flying. The day he died. The joys of Faddy’s brave youngsters. The joy of his return. The goals, the wins, the disappointments. Each of us arm in arm through it all.

We will always owe John Boyle a great debt for his devotion imagination and care. He is also a friend of mine who has shown me great kindness. He donated to my campaign for Holyrood even though he violently disagrees with the SNP. “democracy needs to be paid for son and I know my responsibilities”.

And dont forget Leeann Dempster who remains a pal despite being at Hibs. She brought her vision to bear and fought through sterotyping and prejudice to do a magnificent job. She will succeed at Hibs.

I dont want to keep going because I will miss people out. I love that club with all my heart. For family reasons it has been hard for me to be there as much as I would like this past 18 months. So I was happy to volunteer to step aside to create the space that was needed.

But I stand ready to serve at any moment and in any way. And because I know the reality of the pressures the Board are under I will try my best to explain things to my fellow fans through good times and hard.

Meantime it is back to the East Stand for me. I hope the language has improved :-). On with the show steelmen and women. Ours is another dream that will never die SIWY. x

• Like 1

Fair play to him. It makes for good reading.

All those mentioned deserve credit for the time and enregy they have put into the club.

If i had to be critical i still believe the Commercial side could have been better run and managed. Maybe it is down to a lack of resource and investment, but even the basics have been missed out.

I love the club that is Motherwell and that has bought them a lot of goodwill that other organisations and companies would not have got from me with a similar level of service and attention.

Hopefully Les will improve this area dramatically because it needs it.

PS - Did not know he was a Billionaire biggrin.gif

Surely he can afford more than a measly million...