86 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see things progress

• Status Quo
    • Less restrictions for corporate fans
    • 1 or 2 vouchers issued to over 18's to use in stands
    • Booze served until 5 minutes before KO in stands
    • 5 minutes before and 15 minutes at halftime
    • No restrictions at all

The banning of alchohol at football is a nonsense.

You are in the ground for about 120 minutes. In that time you will probably spend most of your time in your seat watching the game. You may then spend 10 minutes waiting in a queue to get a beer - and you need to drink it in the concourse.

What I am getting at is realistically you could have maybe one or two pints maximum at the game. So chances of getting drunk are tiny.

Its a great way for clubs to bring in some much needed extra revenue in difficult times.

Also all these people harking back to the dark days of football violence - thats a utterly pointless argument as back then you could bring a carry out into the games.

I say bring it back.

• Like 1

As someone who remembers why alcohol at football was banned I haven't seen any improvement in the Scottish mentality with regards the ability to handle alcohol in the 30+ years since the ban was introduced to justify its return.

Whether or not we like it football and alcohol don't mix.

Also for a Club like Motherwell the chances are any income from alcohol sales would be outweighed by the increases in the costs. Currently very few Well matches require a Police presence inside the ground, but do you think that would stil be the case if alcohol was on sale?

As has already been stated, no one is advocating a return to taking your own cargo into FP.

What Murphy is suggesting is that we should be able to buy a pint 5mins or so either side of half-time and drink it on the concourse, now for me that doesnt go far enough, but still the question has to be asked...how far out of your tits can you get in 15mins on cheap, watered down lager?

As for the costs associated, well that would be up to the individual club to carry-out some research on whether it was wort it or not. I dont think it will be compulsory, its about the choice.

To cover a few points raised.

We've seen only 15 months ago what Friday night, booze and stupidity result in, a trashed stand.

Also, launching idiots out who over indulge, we already know what group mentality is like without drink, someone needing kicked out surrounded by half a dozen mates also inebriated is a job that no steward or cop would relish. Our game is tribal and people congregate around a common cause regardless of merit, more so because they are wearing C&A.

I used to see the blinds go down in the Cooper or South because the fans sitting in the cheap seats aren't allowed to see the corporate/hospitality customers drinking at half time and thought that is crazy.

Most rational people know you are judged under different circumstances and you're on better behaviour when in a box. I accept that part of their package allows drinking, is it screened from me to avoid jealousy, glamourises drinking or protect the kids?

That prohibition era ruling in our modern day licencing laws is why a lot of our pubs are dark dingie little hovels with either tiny windows or opaque glass. Absolutely mental.

Unfortunately human beings as a collective don't behave, there will always be an element rebelling or being bloody minded for the sake of it.

As someone who remembers why alcohol at football was banned I haven't seen any improvement in the Scottish mentality with regards the ability to handle alcohol in the 30+ years since the ban was introduced to justify its return.

Also for a Club like Motherwell the chances are any income from alcohol sales would be outweighed by the increases in the costs. Currently very few Well matches require a Police presence inside the ground, but do you think that would stil be the case if alcohol was on sale?

This

Can I ask those who say, "max I'd be able to drink is two pints", what's your tipping point between being merry and drunk? You must have an idea.

Nothing to suggest a number of people would get tanked outside the game and those two pints inside tip you over the edge.

If people could be trusted to drink responsibly then our A&E and weekend cells wouldn't be rammed.

Walking away from FP after a Celtic game is menacing enough without having the extra danger of a number of them having drank some instant "brave juice".

• Like 1

To cover a few points raised.

We've seen only 15 months ago what Friday night, booze and stupidity result in, a trashed stand.

Also, launching idiots out who over indulge, we already know what group mentality is like without drink, someone needing kicked out surrounded by half a dozen mates also inebriated is a job that no steward or cop would relish. Our game is tribal and people congregate around a common cause regardless of merit, more so because they are wearing C&A.

I used to see the blinds go down in the Cooper or South because the fans sitting in the cheap seats aren't allowed to see the corporate/hospitality customers drinking at half time and thought that is crazy.

Most rational people know you are judged under different circumstances and you're on better behaviour when in a box. I accept that part of their package allows drinking, is it screened from me to avoid jealousy, glamourises drinking or protect the kids?

That prohibition era ruling in our modern day licencing laws is why a lot of our pubs are dark dingie little hovels with either tiny windows or opaque glass. Absolutely mental.

Unfortunately human beings as a collective don't behave, there will always be an element rebelling or being bloody minded for the sake of it.

But how many people who are in Fir Park on Saturday at 3pm have spent at least 3 hours in the pub previously drinking? I would say a high percentage.

Now how much trouble do you see in Fir Park? Almost zero.

The point is that a few pints at a football match will not lead to trouble. Anyone who think it will need to stop harking back to the 80's when it was a totally different scenario.

That's not the reason. Unless the law has been changed since its original incarnation, the blinds go down because the law says you aren't allowed a view of the pitch when you are drinking alcohol.

I remember trips to Kilbowie where they had a nice wee bar that overlooked the park and people were able to drink there and watch the game. Then the new alcohol laws came in and 5 minutes before every game they had to bring down the shutters.

What extra cost? How many police do you see in pubs so why should they need to be at a football stadium just cause they sell drink? The clubs already hire stewards who require to be licenced and there are already stewards who look after pie stalls. These same stewards go and work in pubs and nightclubs after a shift at football so are already used to dealing with inebriated supporters. At most, an extra couple of stewards would be required, not a return of large police presence.

On the basis of what happened in a cinema in Glasgow at the weekend - I don't think that's one you would want to use as an argument for a return of alcohol to football grounds whistling.gif -

"Three women arrested after man is GLASSED during Fifty Shades of Grey screening on Valentine's Day" -

http://www.dailyreco...ter-man-5169837

On the basis of what happened in a cinema in Glasgow at the weekend - I don't think that's one you would want to use as an argument for a return of alcohol to football grounds whistling.gif -

"Three women arrested after man is GLASSED during Fifty Shades of Grey screening on Valentine's Day" -

No one was glassed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-31487066

Check out who the "witness" was

michael-bolton-mullet.xlarge.jpg

Agreed.

No-one is going to go into a match stone cold sober and get drunk at the game. What some folk will do though is have a few before beforehand and then top up at the game pushing them over the threshold. A minority of fans are able to keep their latent aggression under control when sober but simply lose control after a few drinks. Anyone visiting town/city centres on a Friday or Saturday night across Scotland will see any number of fools out of control after taking too much drink, which they simply cannot handle. I've no objection to someone consuming too much providing that they do not cause any trouble but sadly that isn't the case with many folk.

That's not the reason. Unless the law has been changed since its original incarnation, the blinds go down because the law says you aren't allowed a view of the pitch when you are drinking alcohol.

I remember trips to Kilbowie where they had a nice wee bar that overlooked the park and people were able to drink there and watch the game. Then the new alcohol laws came in and 5 minutes before every game they had to bring down the shutters.

Well thats an even more ludicrous reason than the one I gave. That has to be cleared from the statute book.

Well thats an even more ludicrous reason than the one I gave. That has to be cleared from the statute book.

Aye, and from memory, the law came in to force not long after the Steedmans has invested a few quid in building the bar that overlooked the pitch.

A pint or 2 at a Motherwell St Johnstone game is not going to lead to bother. It's a no brainer to gain some revenue.

I don't think that the likes of us or St Johnstone would be in the thoughts of the decision makers to be honest. They'll likely be more concerned with what happens when Celtic play Hearts, or Hearts play Sevco, or even worse, when Celtic play Sevco.

Sorry to say it but we Scots can't drink in moderation, if drink was allowed its only a matter of time before we would let ourselves down again. The minority but a significant minority .Ok at a Scotland game when we are supporting the same team but some competive domestic games are a powder keg that's why the kick offs were moved and no new year games , remember ? No one wants to listen to fans beside them talking shite and talking even more shite loudly the more drink they consume on top of the ones they have had before getting in.....You know who you are, and some even post on here, by the look of things . Nah leave it the way it is. But by the end of the season we all may need a drink at the match to get through the last three games .

• Like 3

Sorry to say it but we Scots can't drink in moderation, if drink was allowed its only a matter of time before we would let ourselves down again. The minority but a significant minority .Ok at a Scotland game when we are supporting the same team but some competive domestic games are a powder keg that's why the kick offs were moved and no new year games , remember ? No one wants to listen to fans beside them talking shite and talking even more shite loudly the more drink they consume on top of the ones they have had before getting in.....You know who you are, and some even post on here, by the look of things . Nah leave it the way it is. But by the end of the season we all may need a drink at the match to get through the last three games .

A powderkeg? Haha...name me more than 2 or 3 matches in the Scottish league calendar that can be described as a 'powderkeg'...Scottish Fitba', is in the main, absolutely devoid of atmosphere. You make it sound as if its all going to 'kick-off' because the Regular Joe in the East Stand wants to have a pint at half-time against Kilmarnock on a warm May afternoon, rather than a Cola.

I am most definitely in the bracket of fan who talks shite during games, and I am guilty of becoming louder and more annoying when I get drunk. Absolutely plead guilty to that. However, beer at sporting events is generally low in alcohol content and realistically how many am I going to be able to purchase and consume in the confines of a game? I can't see it making any real difference to the behaviour of people inside the ground. Furthermore, given that our season runs throughout the winter, on the vast majority of occasions I will still be choosing bovril over beer anyway.

I'm all for letting people choose to have a drink, even if just as a point of principle over the Holier Than Thou brigade on here who choose to dictate that the guys that they stand beside every Saturday (who they don't know personally) can't be trusted with a plastic glass of 3% cat-piss without going off their trollies.